One Week with car and my wife backs into a car...

rmd0311

:
2011 Mazda 3i Touring
I have had this car for less than a week. 5 days to be exact and my wife has already backed into another car that had their door opened. She hit the door edge. Nothing really happened with the other car. But my poor 5 day old will need a new trunk lid. No cops were called or info exchanged. So its on me whether I approach the ins or not.

So the question is... What do you guys think this would run me. With a 500 deductible and a new OEM un-painted lid costing only 300. It might be better to just pay outright..

Check out the damage:

i-5QbCZzq-XL.jpg

i-tS2X497-XL.jpg

Women drivers lmao j/p
That's no good man. I don't know your history with your insurance, but why not go and get some quotes. Finding someone to match paint won't be too tough since it's still fairly new and there is no sun fading yet. That's a plus Just gotta find a place that does it right so it's not chipping months down the road.

Seriously. Women....

Just replace the trunk. In fact, try and find a black one from a junkyard (frotn end colission obviously) and just bolt it on.

Just came back from the first quote... They must be smoking something strong... $1600. They are talking 1100 just to paint and replace.. plus 500 for all new parts... Must be smoking something strong.

Maybe if I go the insurance route, which I would have to at that price.

Idk to me that looks like grounds for divorce. its a perfect example of why you dont let women drive your new toys.

Just to let you guys know... It's gonna be 969. All new parts. With a very well regarded shop. Cash transaction. My deductible was actually 600... So real out of pocket is 369 I guess.

Better than 1600 i guess. did you try and find one from a junk yard or anything before tho?

A junkyard trunklid with a quick power buff would look just as nice, for about $200 I bet.

Just to let you guys know... It's gonna be 969. All new parts. With a very well regarded shop. Cash transaction. My deductible was actually 600... So real out of pocket is 369 I guess.

Cash transaction, but through insurance?

Save the emblems!!! that way if you want to paint them you can have a spare set. or you can sell them. either one. well the mazda M looks a a bit worse for the wear but the mazda and three should be easy. Hell id buy them if your just gonna toss them.

Your ins. wouldn't have gone up over one little fender. I dont know your past history but I would have saved the almost 400 and have mazda do it with ins. deductible

Your ins. wouldn't have gone up over one little fender. I dont know your past history but I would have saved the almost 400 and have mazda do it with ins. deductible

I spoke with my agent before doing this... In NY, because the insurance cost of fixing this was going to be close to 1500... I would have to report it to NY DMV. Which means an accident goes into the cars record diminishing its value significantly. More than the 369 (My deduct is 600 and the car is being fixed for 969, so 369 is what I am paying out of pocket since the 600 would be spent regardless) its costing me to fix on my own. Also, an at-fault accident on my wifes driving record calls for higher insurance premiums in the future. So while you are right, my insurance would have remained the same. The added underlying costs made the 369 a bargain.

I pick up the car today...(breakn)

Last edited:
Hope she still looks good. Other than those god awful tail lights. but thats everyone that has one from 10+

Now you just need to make sure she follows the driver's ed truism: You should always be looking directly in the direction of motion. When backing up, that means twist your spine and look over your right shoulder. It could just as easily have been a 3 year old, not a door, that she hit. This stuff is constantly in the news...

Back