? on tires/rims/cabin noise

dirtyz

hello -
I am looking for ways to reduce cabin noise in my p5. Would changing tires help in this? I know the tires that are currently there are cheap ones, with at least 20,000 miles on it.

And if that is the case, what would be a good alternative for tires? I live in michigan, so the winters are brutal for driving. I am have considering getting a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires. I've read that some of the newer Mazda rims actually fit on the p5? I have everything stock - nothing modded

thanks for your help -

Yep! The mazda3 and mazda6 17" wheels fit nicely. Check the FS section often.

Tires DO make quite a difference in road noise!

Tire road noise is caused from the air being forced out of the tire when it meets the road.If your looking to reduce this noise try finding a tire with some good space between the treads.Also you gould try some sound deading material such as dynomat and fat mat.I linned the doors and where mazda didnt put any from the factory and it reduced the road noise pretty good

thanks for the tips! I actually am planning on replacing the stock speakers in the doors, and figured while I had the panels off, I may put some dampening material on at the same time.

i love this place!

Tire brand/model as it relates to noise can be the single biggest factor. Mazdas aren't known for overabundant sound deadening as it is, so when tire shopping pay close attention to noise ratings in surveys etc. And as any tire wears, it gets noisier, just a fact of life.

To my knowledge, there are no tires in the stock Protege5 size (195/50/16) that perform adequately in snow, regardless of their designation as "all-season".

I highly recommend getting a separate set of snow tires. Consider it cheap insurance against getting in an accident.

speaking of changing tires, since our model has such an abnormal tire size tires plus only had 5 tires (not sets, just one tire) in the tampa area that fit the stock 195/50/R16 size.

thought that was pretty funny since they were $97 a pop. told the guy to look for 205/45's and wants to charge me $60 a pop for super cheap-o tires he sells. I found that even funnier.

anyone ever heard of "primewell"? cuz i sure havent.

If you want to keep your 16's, I'm on my 2nd set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires. I got 60k out of the first set. They are discontinued now and replaced by the Grid G019a. Still a nice tire.

Sumitomo's on tirerack are nice tires and cheap. These are going to be my winter wheels, forgot I had them in the shed.. 88 MX6 GT 15's on a 03 P5, should look sweet. Should fit... Unless hub size is an issue.

88626LX.jpg

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

As far as the road noise concern, they have variable pitch tread blocks and a fairly soft tread. Maxtouch and some good silica additives for the traction issues all year around. I think you'd be happy with them.

Last edited:
Back