On the psychology of cops and minivans

sac02

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
It seems that many of us drive the Mazda5 because we like sporty cars, but life circumstances (usually kids) dictate that we need those extra seats, sliding doors, etc. So we wound up with the sportiest driving family hauler we can find.

IMO it stands to reason that if you like sporty cars, and bought the sportiest car that could fit your needs, that you might drive it a little more... enthusiastically, compared to the typical vanilla Camry, or blue-haired Buick driver.

But the stereotype of minivans is that they are driven by soccer moms, who are unaware that a highway off-ramp could ever be considered "fun".

So after the above long line of assumptions on my part, my question is:

Do you think you've ever gotten out of a ticket (or avoided being pulled over in the first place), because of the fact you were driving a minivan, not a red sports car - even if you were driving in a similarly aggressive manner?

Do you feel you can set the cruise control one or two MPH higher in your minivan, than you might in your Corvette? Are there any LEO's on this board who would like to comment?

I don't feel I can comment yet - I've only owned this car for less than a year (so my personal sample size is small), and I drive significantly less aggressively in the last ~10 years, compared to how I used to drive when I was a stereotypical male sports car driver in the "16-25y/o" demographic, so my rate of getting ticketed has gone down despite the fact that I was still driving more traditional "attention grabbing" lowered sports cars.

The only thing I can tell you (as a 25 year old driver), is that my red, automatic Chevrolet Cobalt, got me in a LOT more trouble than I've EVER been in ANY OTHER vehicle. Despite the fact that my current Protege5 is "Goodmorning Police" Blue, and Manual (so obviously I drive it like it's a racecar).

I also believe those 6 tickets in 2 years really got me in my pocket....so typically i'm a little smarter with my speed. I do use the cruise control, I set it to 5 over basically everywhere I go. Typically a police officer won't bother with the petty 5 over ticket. So that probably helps.

Based on my driving in my wife's 2014 Sorento, in a bigger vehicle, I'm a little more cautious on my speed, and turning. That's a pretty obvious assumption though, the bigger the vehicle, the slower you will drive. Also takes longer to get up to the same speed (usually).

Just my 2 cents.

The way I see it, if you are driving in an aggressive manner (weaving in and out of traffic, going faster than the flow of traffic), then you are likely to get tagged regardless of vehicle. Now if you are going with the flow, even if you are going 15 or 20 over, then I would guess that the red sports car would be more likely to get tagged.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

I drive in an aggressive manner in Los Angeles. I have a bright red Elise, bright Yellow S2000, bright blue MS3 and bright motorcycles.

I have had 2 incidents with the ELise. One in Utah , no tickets, one in Camarillo, no tickets.

Never had a single issue with the S2000.

Pulled over in my 67 RHD Cooper S, in Santa Monica, as police wanted to check registration since I was sitting on the wrong side of the car(hah)

Pulled over once in the Mazda 5 (Copper Red), in Culver City, for making illegal right turn, 2 AM. Cop asked what license plate meant, told him, laughed and said "thankyou" and let me go.

I don't drive like an idiot. If you do, any car will get you pulled over (I am talking to you WRX drivers).

But I don't drive under 80mph on the highways.

I don't have radar detectors etc.

I use common sense. Lived in the Midwest and North East, never had to change my driving style.

Have a perfect driving record. Even got off 3 years ago, in my Mini COoper S, for illegally using the carpool lane and illegal window tint (all my cars have it).

I am just a very smooth talker :D

Do you think you've ever gotten out of a ticket (or avoided being pulled over in the first place), because of the fact you were driving a minivan, not a red sports car - even if you were driving in a similarly aggressive manner?

I can recall a lot of situations where I was driving spiritedly and didn't get nailed. Not driving like a complete asshat and drawing attention to myself but fast and frisky with a group of other cars. Every time the cop came down on the group I was never the chosen prey.

But I am usually diligent and keep an eye out when driving in a hurry up mode. I only go to the left to pass and then get the hell back over to hide. I'll back off a bit when beginning to crest a hill so I don't get caught with a surprise on the other side. Same with bridges, overpasses or blind curves.

Come to think of it, I can't recall that I've ever gotten a ticket when driving any of the three 5's I've owned.

I see cars of various types and colors that have been pulled over. When I lived in L.A. 20+ years ago, I went to traffic school after receiving a ticket, and the class was led by a CHP officer. He said that it's the cars that draw their attention that get noticed (obviously). If you're being stupid, you have a better chance to be "interviewed". Being stupid in a bright-red car increases your chances.

I have a sports car for having fun, so don't particularly drive the 5 in an aggressive manor, but I definitely believe it flies under the "radar" to some degree

Well I've gotten speeding tickets in both my MZ5s. On my 2006 white one doing 80 mph on the freeway not weaving in and out. One in my current 2012 silver doing 35 mph on a 25 mph. So for me, I disagree with this myth.

The only thing I can tell you (as a 25 year old driver), is that my red, automatic Chevrolet Cobalt, got me in a LOT more trouble than I've EVER been in ANY OTHER vehicle.

A red Chevy in Florida...that's a big enough stereotype to get its own cable TV show.

Well I've gotten speeding tickets in both my MZ5s. On my 2006 white one doing 80 mph on the freeway not weaving in and out. One in my current 2012 silver doing 35 mph on a 25 mph. So for me, I disagree with this myth.

WOw. My Elise I got caught doing 45 in a 30 in Camarillo and they let me go...

You have some bad luck.

Doing 80mph in LA is required to stay alive on the freeways...

I credit my previous 4-banger Legacy wagon and this current 5 for keeping the tickets away. Neither car has guts enough to make speeding fun at all. I mean, 9 seconds 0-60? I don't weave much, so that probably helps, but the thing is also fairly gutless on the highway which keeps me from exceeding speed limits by much. At 80, the handling gets squirrelly, the engine starts to labor, the draft from semis buffets the broad sides of the van, increasing the white-knuckle effect, and the brakes are woefully underpowered for any panic stops at that speed.

Granted, the car feels spritely on backroads, but I'll usually look down thinking I'm speeding and find I'm going the limit or maybe 5 mph over.

I agree, the car drives "sportier" than a minivan, and I really do appreciate it's maneuverability in tight spaces. But really, unless you're simply unlucky, you really, really have to try for a speeding ticket in the thing.

I mean, 9 seconds 0-60?

When I was in High School I had a 83' VW GTI that did 0-60 in about 10s and that was considered a fast car LOL

draft from semis buffets the broad sides of the van, increasing the white-knuckle effect,

I had a gust of wind blow me up onto two wheels once, stability control came on and everything, scared the crap out of me

but I'll usually look down thinking I'm speeding and find I'm going the limit or maybe 5 mph over.

That's a good thing. I frequently drive between SF and LA and it's nice to not have to worry too much about getting a ticket. Car cruises nicely around 75-80mph.
Every time I get one of these high end luxury cars I find myself going way over the speed limit because there is no sense of speed. That's why I have little interest in supercars, you just cant use them. I got my first speeding ticket in 12 years driving a Lexus LFA and I hadn't even lit into it yet (bang)

I was coming home in the 5 from work around midnight and was doing double the posted speed in a construction zone that just happened to be a series of on ramps with plenty of twist and turns. State trooper followed me for 1/2 mile until I got onto the freeway and started going 10 over the posted speed. He pulled me over and asked me why I was driving like a maniac around the on ramps, and going 10 over on the expressway. I made an excuse about me having a 40 minute trip home and that I was tired and want to get home. He said he was surprised because most " station wagon " drivers don't drive like that, then gave me a warning and let me go. I know the only reason he let me go was because he saw the 5 and assumed that I must be tired and wanting to get home for me to be driving the 5 the way I was. If I would have been in a sports car, I wouldn't have stood a chance of getting off.

I was coming home in the 5 from work around midnight and was doing double the posted speed in a construction zone that just happened to be a series of on ramps with plenty of twist and turns. State trooper followed me for 1/2 mile until I got onto the freeway and started going 10 over the posted speed. He pulled me over and asked me why I was driving like a maniac around the on ramps, and going 10 over on the expressway. I made an excuse about me having a 40 minute trip home and that I was tired and want to get home. He said he was surprised because most " station wagon " drivers don't drive like that, then gave me a warning and let me go. I know the only reason he let me go was because he saw the 5 and assumed that I must be tired and wanting to get home for me to be driving the 5 the way I was. If I would have been in a sports car, I wouldn't have stood a chance of getting off.

My wife has gotten pulled over a lot in the 5. With the Touring's larger wheels, side skirts, spoiler and the tint I wonder if it looks like a slightly riced out wagon to most? It does look lowered when on the highway which doesn't help. How she gets multiple warnings is beyond me. If it was me behind the wheel I'm sure I would be face down on the ground with an officer standing on my neck (for those that know what this is like).

When I was in High School I had a 83' VW GTI that did 0-60 in about 10s and that was considered a fast car LOL

I had a gust of wind blow me up onto two wheels once, stability control came on and everything, scared the crap out of me

That's a good thing. I frequently drive between SF and LA and it's nice to not have to worry too much about getting a ticket. Car cruises nicely around 75-80mph.
Every time I get one of these high end luxury cars I find myself going way over the speed limit because there is no sense of speed. That's why I have little interest in supercars, you just cant use them. I got my first speeding ticket in 12 years driving a Lexus LFA and I hadn't even lit into it yet (bang)

Fast is all relative depending on the fastest / slowest thing you drive. Some even consider their stock Mazdaspeed3 or WRX fast ;).

That's the problem with luxury cars. Last time I made the drive back from Las Vegas to Bakersfield at the wee hours of the night, it was dead empty on the roads. Found myself exceeding the speed limit greatly through the mountains in a Bentley Continental GT V8. Damn thing was so quiet and then I looked down and was like oh s***, but then I just stiffened the suspension and continued at that pace.

We are talking about Mazda 5s, and you guys are bringing in Lexus LFA and Bentleys.....

Come on man! Let us commoners be!!!! :p :p

If I had mophos bank account, I wouldn't be on this forum(wiggle)

WOw. My Elise I got caught doing 45 in a 30 in Camarillo and they let me go...

You have some bad luck.

Doing 80mph in LA is required to stay alive on the freeways...

Usually this is what I do on my commute. I've been going 75mph with everyone else the the CHP passes us by still.

Back