On the market for a 2012+...any buyers tips?

Tombo_ontario

:
Mazda5
Hi everyone...sort of new to this forum but been lurking for a little while. It's come time to get rid of my Jeep and get a Mazda 5 (drove one down in California while at a conference and we loved it). The 5 will work great for us hence why we are in the market. Anyone have any tips/suggestions for a 2012ish model year? I'm going to test drive a few and want to know if there is something in particular that seems to wear out by 50000kms. I'm not new to vehicles (do my own maintenance and repairs) but any insight from a current owner is valuable knowledge to me!

Thanks for any input! (drinks)

US cars are packaged slightly different than Canada ones. In the US:
2012 models don't have a USB or parking sensors. 2014-2015 have slightly different steering wheel trim on Touring and GT models. Its always good to get the model year after a redesign. Sport models come with 16 in rims while Touring and GT have 17's. No manual on 2015 models in the US, not sure about Canada. I have an 08 with almost 160k.

That interesting...thanks for the insight 5zoom! I want a manual but the wifey doesn't want to learn to use it lol. I was hoping with the 2012+ the kinks of the new design would be worked out. around here I can get a 2012 for roughly half of what I'd pay new.

We bought a 2012 GT last year with ~50k kms and have put on another 15k trouble free kms since. There have been no issues apart from regular maintenance. I had read the rear suspension was a potential trouble area - ie bushings, endlinks, shocks, so that may be something to look for. I had read also these cars are hard on the AT transmission so I changed the fluid out though the shifting and old fluid were fine. I did notice when checking the brakes that one front pad was wearing more than another - doing the brake service the sliders had not been lubed in some time and were sticking, a minor item. Really these are solid little cars and should give you 1000s of trouble free kms. We also have a Mazda 3 GT with 100k kms and it has been flawless. The white elephant in the room is rust. I would be sure to check the likely areas, ie door seams, rear quarter panels, and then put the car on a regular rustproofing regime. Hope that helps.

What they sais. Mine is closing to 80k, just tranny fluid change and front breaks and stock tires, all that needed to be replaced.
Try to find 2013+ and looks for rust as Ontario is know for it.

I was just shopping last year for 5 with a manual, which is the Sport trim only, and there were a number of little touches that made the 2013 more appealing. In the US, the 2013 has a USB port, privacy glass for the rear windows, and integrated side-mirror turn signals, to name a few. The 2012 Sport was truly a stripper, by comparison.

And, of course, if you buy newer one, you might have some of the warranty remaining. I had six months left, and it covered replacing the rear shocks at the dealer.

I don't know a stick shift is what you want, but I've heard that they even offer the GT trim with manual in Canada.

ya sounds like just basic maintenance stuff to be worried about. I'll be sure to check for rust in the usual spots as I am a little worried about that. I'll likely do some sort of rust-proofing/undercoating before winter. I'll try and go drive a 2012 and 2013 to compare. The 2012 I'm looking at is the Touring trim, with all the steering controls so I'm optimistic about it.

As for the manual transmission, yes there are GTs here with stick but I've been forbidden by the wifey lol.

Back