On my 3rd windshield

I have a 2014 cx5 with 133,300 miles, on my second windshield and now that has a crack in it. In addition my body shop messed up the intermit wipes. Great

I am now on my 4th windshield!!! This is ridiculous! The tiniest rock will destroy the entire windshield sometimes it just cracks for no reason all by itself! I'm hoping the safelite glass will hold up better!

After 21 months and 19,000 miles I'm still on my first windshield. Even with all the sand, rocks and road salt up here I have only 2 very small divots in the windshield, and I've taken some huge hits that made me cringe.

Guess I've been lucky.

I am now on my 4th windshield!!! This is ridiculous! The tiniest rock will destroy the entire windshield sometimes it just cracks for no reason all by itself! I'm hoping the safelite glass will hold up better!

So you purchased OEM glass 3x?

To verify the actual manufacturer there's a DOT code on the edge of the windshield. On my Chinese made aftermarket windshield for the CX-5 its DOT code 459 for Fuyao if I recall correctly. Its held up good thus far knock on wood.

Gorilla glass. Lighter (Mazda would likey) Stronger (owners likey) and more expensive :(

maxresdefault.jpg

Ford GT uses Gorilla glass though.

I wonder what that would cost, though, considering that the FGT is stoopid $.

FYI, my Safelite windshield is still going strong. I have some peck marks but no cracks or stars. This is in line with my other American vehicle windshields and I am pleased. Don't go OEM, just get the Safelite stuff. Thought I'd never say that, but...

6 months and 11k and replaced the factory windshield this week. Was coming back from the Detroit Auto Show and got a small chip. Stopped to get gas and sat back in the vehicle and watched it splinter out about 8" on each side. New one was only $299 installed. So we'll see how it holds up.

I just got a small chip in my windshield yesterday. Stopped at Autozone and bought a repair kit. Hopefully, everything is good now.

*Any* surface imperfection in glass can cause it to crack. Uneven heating (like the defroster in winter) will spread a crack very fast, as will bending forces.

Increase your following distances, *especially* behind dump trucks!

When you get a chip, use a chip repair product right away to give yourself a chance at saving the windshield.

I noticed two small chips on my windshield - do you recommend i get it fixed through this or let it be? I am not sure if Mazda covers the windshield - I have 5 months old CX5.
I'd try to fix any small chips if you see any short hairline cracks developed. I had a really good mobile guy came to fix a nickel-sized star-shaped chip on my Honda CR-V's windshield which required drilling and heating.

GlassLogic Windshield Repair

No, Mazda won't replace your windshield unless you can prove the crack is caused by stress especially on the top-middle rearview mirror mount area.

I noticed two small chips on my windshield - do you recommend i get it fixed through this or let it be? I am not sure if Mazda covers the windshield - I have 5 months old CX5.

Do it asap. DIY? Read on.

It's not hard....if you 1. find the right kit that's DIY centric and 2. you prep accordingly.

That said the RainX kit works well and I highly advise it.

If I was there I would've done it for you. I'd clean the entire area off with 1 part alcohol to 2 part distilled water to dry up quick. If the crater has some loose tiny pieces I'd carefully scoop them out with a precision knife or the provided razor blade. I'd lightly vacuum it and then spray it down again and clean the area for prep.

This kit involves 4 legs with suction cups. There's a rubber tube in the middle that you want to align over the middle of the crater. It take a few trys but you can tell when you hit the mark by looking at the inside of the windshield. Once you're satisfied the tube physically over and touching the crater you then put 3-4 drops of the clear resin into the tube. You then plug the tube with a screw plunger. You turn the screw plunger just enough as to push the resin into the crater.

The crater then quickly absorbs the clear resin. You remove the entire kit off the windshield and place a provided clear sheet (couple sheets come with kit for multiple repairs) over the crater. You move the Windshield unto sunlight for aprox 10 minutes for the resin to cure. Once is cures it hardens. You can substitute the sun with a UV lamp/flashlight. I tried both but prefer the sun.

You scrape excess hardened resin off the surface of the windshield with the provided razor blade. You're basically done. If the crater was fairly deep you can add another layer by repeating the process.

This dude definitely made it seem more complicated than it really should be. Still he got good results.

For tiny pits its easy. Just put a drop of resin unto a sheet and place above the pits. You don't even need to kit. Cure it in the sun. Scrape the excess to make it flush with the windshield.

Last edited:
I checked my windshields - the chip is 1 millimeter in diameter and maybe half millimeter in depth. I do not think its a structural threat, its just so small at this point. Will keep an eye out. Yeah I would rather do the fix if i see this as a threat.
I could not even feel the chip if i moved my nail over it, definitely a baby chip. But its good to know.

This weekend my wife and I were sitting on the bench in the park right across her '15 CX-5 GT with Tech Package. Out of nowhere the hook - shaped crack appeared on the passenger side. The car wasn't moving, and we didn't hear a thing. Two dealerships found a tiniest chip along the crack, closer to the roof. The explanation was that the chip sat there for a while, then avalanche process begun. Neither them, nor Mazda Canada want to do anything about it. I'm trying, but it looks like oh well, that's what the insurance for, I guess...

Just found a chip that is maybe the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. Not sure if its something worth fixing now or not. My old mustang had a chip in the window(previous owner that I missed somehow) and you can tell it was fixed by some DIY method. Because of this, it couldn't be fixed by a professional company.

Anyway, from that I am weary about doing it myself. Not to mention it is the size of the tip of pen. Is that worth trying to fix? I have no experience with this stuff.

4 years on original windshield before I got hit with some rocks and got a big crack. The stuff they put down on the roads in snowstorms suck.

That said, not bothering to replace until May or June. If you replace your windshield in Colorado before all the snow is done, you are just asking for it to get cracked again. Any car, any windshield.

Many/most insurance companies waive the deductible for windshield repair. In other words, you can have it done by a professional for free, without seeing the bill.

Back