old member! new car. but starting problems

RicesP5

:
2002 Mica Black Protege5
So. I searched and googled everything I could imagine. But none of what I have found describes my problem.

On to the question. 2003 mazdaspeed protege. 151k after market head unit and also system wires have been ran. Even the speaker wires where hardwired. The car was bought this way from a guy who had gotten it from a friend...supposedly...okay so back on subject. The damn thing won't start. Can pop start it, runs like a stripped ass ape. Now here's some things I've noticed it does. CD player blinks but the alarm led did not. Unhooked the battery, waited a bit reconnecting it caused the running lights to blink. (lights won't turn on unless car is pop started) . Alarm led blinking crazy. I hit the over ride button as I try to crank the motor and the odo blinks when key is in "start position". All the fuses are good everything is connected as necessary.

What do I do... I can't let this little car go just because of something stupid. Any ideas?

40 views and not a single reply. This forum use to be a very helpful place 10 years ago.

Is this the factory alarm? If so, they were known to be all kinds of jacked up. Automatically arming when going to lock car, etc... One of the symptoms of the alarm activated is it disables the car to be started which sounds symptomatic to what your experiencing.

Oh and I agree this forum is a dying breed... However, so is the platform.

If it is factory alarm then it should be able to be removed by simply unplugging some harnesses and plugging the harness back together without alarm. Should just be a ground wire and maybe a wire to the led other than that. The keyless entry should be seperate from the alarm. Mine had keyless and I added the oem alarm later on and was plugnplay other than the led and the grnd and oh yeah, a brown wire spliced into the parking light green with white stripe wire (IIRC) by driver kick panel.

..........and we're still helpful, just not as many of us left around as before, lol.

It's factory alarm. And I don't even have a fob. This is one of those cars I bought knowing what it was when the seller didn't. It's filthy every pillar inside is all gross from fingerprints the sunroof shade is floppy back dash is dusty as can be. So when I disconnect the alarm where does the harness plug into? I'm assuming follow the wires coming off the alarm maybe to another male harness? Btw idrive I actually recall your screen name from back in the day!

If it has a sunroof it has to be aftermarket or dealer installed. I suppose the alarm is like a jumper harness, remove it and connect the two connectors left in the car.

Sweet. When I get home I'll try it out and post results. I think it needs a new battery to so I'll do that as well. Hopefully I can get the little guy up and running. I always wanted one after having my p5

So got home and have been digging around now for about 10 minutes. My factory alarm only has pin connectors. 3 to be exact. On one side and that's it. So where would the pin connectors go once taken off alarm housing? Anyone have a wiring diagram for under there? It's a mess. I dunno if it's just a msp thing but there's connectors and wires tapped into here and there with in line fuses.

IMAG0260_1.jpg

Alarm box.

From what I can tell by digging upward into the dash its all wired into the main harness. I can't find the other end. I suppose I should take the lower dash off?

Anddd. I forgot to post results on how changing the battery effected things... Turns out the battery was far far to large. 850cca. Msp's require 650.

But however still every now and then it will not start. Has only happened twice since then. Once yesterday and once today.

I also think I'm maybe getting a bit of turbo lag, the car is kinda blah when the turbo is spooling unless your over 3/4 in the throttle. Also does anyone else's bov sound like a damn pigeon?

Sounds like an MSP on the stock tune, once you get it tuned up and running properly you can address modding it.

Back