Okay guys, I need some help staying focused.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2451.html

More info on Protege! I think that you should view a couple of tests and see how each one did. There is always going to be differing views on the safety of a car. I am sure there is a person out there that would tell me that a Neon can be a safe car as well. I would balk at them! But in a crash you can't evaluate how everything is going to turn out. Some things are in better in one car than another.
Truthfully no matter how much we tell you about both cars, it just comes down to you. You could always try and get both! LOL

Cirielle said:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2451.html

More info on Protege! I think that you should view a couple of tests and see how each one did. There is always going to be differing views on the safety of a car. I am sure there is a person out there that would tell me that a Neon can be a safe car as well. I would balk at them! But in a crash you can't evaluate how everything is going to turn out. Some things are in better in one car than another.
Truthfully no matter how much we tell you about both cars, it just comes down to you. You could always try and get both! LOL

too bad...my opinion won't change on how unsafe the protege is, compared to other cars in the class.

But I believe the neon is worse off than the protege for safety...since they already fall apart just by driving it :)

Daemos said:

too bad...my opinion won't change on how unsafe the protege is, compared to other cars in the class.

But I believe the neon is worse off than the protege for safety...since they already fall apart just by driving it :)

Just wondering why, if you dislike Proteges, you come to this board. BTW, not an attitude with this at all, just questioning!

Cirielle said:

Just wondering why, if you dislike Proteges, you come to this board. BTW, not an attitude with this at all, just questioning!

I don't dislike them...I just wouldn't want to be in a crash in one that's all, a friend of mine died because the protege's frame collapsed on him (or something like that) in a head on collision (the other car was a civic, driver was basically unhurt). The crash tests arn't too impressive either. Both were wearing seatbelts, and airbags went off.

There have been alot of Spec V crashes at 70Mph with drivers comming out unhurt, even one rear eneded and sideswiped by a semi. (apparently the sentra is one of the better crash cars out there...and with side impact airbags on the Spec V...it's even safer)

My friend hit black ice at 100km/h head on into lamp post drivers side, came out with only minor burns from the airbags going off around him. It's the only reason he's in another spec...cuz he came out with really no injuries.

I think the msp is a great performance car...I just haven't had good experiences with them handing crashes.

I'm on lots of different boards, just cuz I like cars :)

BTW by unsafe I ment by how well they fare in crashes.

Last edited:
Many people will read all the safety reports before buying a new car. However; for enthusiasts, like most of us; that will never be the deciding factor.

The deciding factor is: "how well the car fits".

- What does the car do for you?
- Does the style attract you?
- Does it have the power you seek?
- Does it have the handling you are wanting?
- How about the stock sound system? Is it what you like; for those of us who really love their music? Afterall; many drivers aren't interested in swapping stereos.
- How about the warranty? Does the warranty impress you?

These listed, and yes, other factors; ultimately help a potential buyer decide on their next automotive purchase.

what do you meen the frame collapsed :confused:
im curious what kind of protege and what year?
thanks in advance

Well when I got this car it was the enthusiast in me that won out. Safety is a concern to me though and I was not as well informed as I would have liked to been!
I personally wish that I could have gotten this car with more safety options; maybe like the side panel air bags. But as I stated before it is up to each person why they get a car. I mean if you look at all those people out there who own SUV's how much consideration did they really put into their vehicle purchase?
And yes, that last statement does mean that I dislike SUV's. I also dislike Mini-vans as well. My basis for all of this is - too many people on the roadways who drive like crap buy those vehicles. Women who are 5 foot tall are in huge cars that are purposefully made to accomodate people who are 5'6 or taller. Then of course they are the same ones who will drive 25 in a 45 zone on a busy street where no children are playing and then go into a neighborhood where lots of kids are playing and go 45 in a 25. I really really really hate that!!!
Now does this mean that I have a problem with short people in big cars, NO! I just have a problem with people who are idiots about ergonomics and how they should position themselves. Does this also mean I have a problem with all drivers of SUV's, well not necessarily. If a person can drive one and not be an idiot, well I don't have as much a problem with it. If you really need the room of one, then I am really understandable about it, but if you are one of those ego-mongers who only uses it to commute to work and feel more self-imposing, well then - YOU SUCK!
Anyways since this isn't about those people, back to the real subject at hand!
Thanks Daemos for the clarification. It seemed a little bit like you really hated Proteges at first. I can understand your feelings towards them a lot better now!
And AGR#7, I think you said it best!

the frame collapsed? ive been in two crashes with proteges....
one was into the side of another car because the other driver was a ******* idiot and pulled out in front of me. anyways, i hit him at 45mph. course the car was ******, but i walked away unhurt. and then when i got myself rolled over in my MSP, i also walked away without a single injury. not even a cut. so i have actual real life experience with accidents in proteges and i dont see how they are unsafe. ive walked away unhurt both times so thats just my real life opinion

Dexter said:
the frame collapsed? ive been in two crashes with proteges....
one was into the side of another car because the other driver was a ******* idiot and pulled out in front of me. anyways, i hit him at 45mph. course the car was ******, but i walked away unhurt. and then when i got myself rolled over in my MSP, i also walked away without a single injury. not even a cut. so i have actual real life experience with accidents in proteges and i dont see how they are unsafe. ive walked away unhurt both times so thats just my real life opinion

we're not too sure what happened...but the car was a wreck...it was a 2001 Protege ES, the Pillar that's like holding the windshield (the A pillar I assume) collapsed.

The Civic was pretty bad too, but only the engine compartment was really crumpled in, while the cabin seemed very intact.

we're not really too sure what happened, but it was a mess. (it looked like a head on, since both front ends were messed, but the other driver I guess trauma doesn't really remember what happened :/)

that is why I'm so weary of the Protege's Safety features. After that freak accident, I had to get a car with side impact air bags...I waited a year to get the spec v, just so I could get side impact air bags for the canadian 2003 model.

Last edited:
Well, safety was just one issue I was keeping in the forefront, mainly to try and separate the two cars. I like them both so much that I'm really having to reach for something to put one ahead of the other. :cool:

Basically, I'm going to have to decide what's more important. Practicality/safety or balls out fun. The fiancee wants really wants me to get the VW (her Wrangler is too small to hold anything important, and the VW is safe... Women just don't understand, do they? :eek: ).

What I'm playing with now is getting the Dub, and a few years down the road pick up a Miata track/project car. :cool: I've never driven anything so fun, and I hear they make awesome auto-x toys.

As much as one wishes to be completely rational about their decision on a car- analysing numbers, crash test results, cargo room, HP, warranty, exact reliability, cup holder measurements, etc- your decision will almost always be emotional.

A car can be a great car if you look at the numbers and all the research and test drives that say this or that, but YOU know when you get into a car and drive it around if that's the one for you.

Spend a whole day test driving the MSP and VW back and forth(if you haven't already), make a list of points to compare and keep in mind while you do so (to ease your rational mind), and in the end you'll just know what car you're really feelin' -and you'll probably be biased towards it in your points compared.

I mean, there are always static factors like money, but in the end you always end up with the car that made you smile. (I didn't get my P5 because I compared HP #s, I just couldn't stop grinning while driving it) :D

my $.02

Slipstream said:
Well, safety was just one issue I was keeping in the forefront, mainly to try and separate the two cars. I like them both so much that I'm really having to reach for something to put one ahead of the other. :cool:

Basically, I'm going to have to decide what's more important. Practicality/safety or balls out fun. The fiancee wants really wants me to get the VW (her Wrangler is too small to hold anything important, and the VW is safe... Women just don't understand, do they? :eek: ).

What I'm playing with now is getting the Dub, and a few years down the road pick up a Miata track/project car. :cool: I've never driven anything so fun, and I hear they make awesome auto-x toys.

Yes...miata's make AWSOME track/project cars...their engines may be small...but they like to take boost :)

Back