Ok just bought a header

Hey all, just bought a header off ebay. Ill let you guys know what its like, I should be putting it on tomarrow if its not busy at work... not really expecting much other than restoring power/mpg that has been lost because of my cat going bad and getting plugged.

Ok so I installed the header with the non fouler trick and the car runs much better without the clogged cat. More power? probably not, however it does breath better up top so it seems. Now I have a couple things on my mind. First is it possible to bang out the muffler because I believe a lot of the cat guts are chillin in the muffler. I tapped the muffler with a wrench and could hear s*** rattling around; think its possible it will just get spit out over time? Second, I reused my o2 sensors(#1 looked white and ok,#2 was pretty chared/fouled) and tried the non foulder trick and the CEL stayed off for about 5miles. Do you think this could be fixed by replacing the o2 sensors? also the idle seems a little more rough at times. What is all your guys experience with running a header? lol also on a side note it does sound a tad more throaty ha.

If you have any interest in reinstalling a cat/muffler system, I have an MSP cat pipe which takes the place of the OEM system that came on the P5. It fits behind the header and downpipe assembly and meets emission tests in all states (Caleefornya?) with no CEL problems. The cat pipe I have for sale is in working condition and came off an MSP that was parted out.

Last edited:
I just bought the ebay headers as well, did non fouler, have about 600 miles on, no CEL.

However, for the first 10-20 miles or so after i fill up with gas, it idles very erratically. She almost stalls, then revs up to over 1000rpm's, back down as so forth...

I also just changed EGR valve same time i did headers...anybody have ideas?

I just bought the ebay headers as well, did non fouler, have about 600 miles on, no CEL.

However, for the first 10-20 miles or so after i fill up with gas, it idles very erratically. She almost stalls, then revs up to over 1000rpm's, back down as so forth...

I also just changed EGR valve same time i did headers...anybody have ideas?

yeah do the spark plug defowler trick. you might not be getting a CEL, but it doesnt mean that your O2 isnt reading super rich (which it is)

Everything I have read leads me to believe the 2nd 02 sensor does nothing but makes sure the 1st one is working correctly and doesnt actually tell the ecu anything about the air/ fuel ratio.

The issue i am looking to be addressed is that it ONLY has the bouncing RPM's at idle right after i fill the tank completely... I have been observing every detail of how she runs, and the only thing that changes when the idle becomes erratic is the full tank. It seems very odd to me.

By the way, how do you like Spicy's ECU mod? I have been thinking about jumping on that wagon.

Can't say anything about your rough idle but I have Spicy's MP3 flashed ECU and all I can say is : get one ASAP! Honestly, my car is completely stock except an AEM intake and I did some runs with the std ECU and with the MP3 ECU on my Protege 5 when I bought it and the car pulls more in 2nd and third, specially over 4k, would never go back to std ECU. Difference is not night and day over std ECU, but you will definately feel the difference. For the price, it's a must, you won't be disapointed. A big plus, Spicy has top notch customer service!

Last edited:
Can someone explain the whole defowler thing??? I am thinking of buying a racing header and have been hearing of the defowler thing to stop the CEL but i have no idea what it is...

Wait I take that back, just searched the 3rd gen forums for both "non-fouler" and "CEL" and got no reults. Error on my part??? I dunno, anyone wanna post a useful link?

err, the de-fouler or non-fouler trick is used by more people than just the 3rd gen, expand your search to all parts of the forum. its all the same concept regardless lol.

Hey thanks, yea I did a google search for it, seems pretty simple. Also dont think ill need it lol, headers should only remove the first cat which shouldn't trip the CEL since the second 02 sensor will think everything is good because of the second cat.
Correct me if im wrong in this assumption please.

no, if you put headers on and no nonfouler you WILL get a check engine light

the 2nd 02 sensor is after the first cat not after the second

glad you found the how to though, its really simple as i said. doesnt cost more than like $5 TOPS. and thats if you get ripped off on the prices. Remember to check to make sure the defouler screws properly into the hole on the header BEFORE you drill out the first one. cause if not you gotta pick up another sized one and you dont get the cost back lol

Back