oil

how many quarts of oil does our cars need for an oil change? Do you always have to replace oil filter when you change oil? If so what filter? if not what milage should i replace? thanks -Dan

hmmm our car takes 4 quarts, when emptied - filter replacement is a big fat YES - Fram filter or an OEM filter, hell pick one lol (some use the 626 filter b/c they are bigger) hope this helps!

be sure to use synthetic too. turbo cars want good oil. mobil 1 makes a good turbo formula

Mobil 1 10W30 and a Pureone filter every 3,000 or so. Synthetic oil can be run for more miles than conventional oil. Its normal to change the both the filter and oil at the same time.

its weard. the book says 4 quarts but i'm only able to put in 3-3 1/4. probably because of the turbo line are still filled with oil though.

Torco-MSP said:
its weard. the book says 4 quarts but i'm only able to put in 3-3 1/4. probably because of the turbo line are still filled with oil though.

make sure you are checking after the car has been fired up and primed. the oil filter and its check valve will retain about half a quart or more.

ALWAYS change the filter, guys. i would change the damn filter before i would change the oil, since the filter is what prevents the oil from getting black. over time, you overload the air filter with dirt and whatnot, which gets sucked into your motor and eventually into your oil. constant air filter and oil filter changes will keep your car's oil looking clean and pretty. which brings me to the next point...

i haven't changed my oil in 9,000 miles. :) i am using AMSoil's 0W-30 system and the car loves it. it can go for 35,000 miles, with only a filter change at 18,000 miles or so... but in a turbo app. you change around 9,000. i am pretty dilligent in filter changing so i am letting it go to 10,000 miles (and summer is around the corner).

keep up with good maintenence!!!

I dunno, 10k is wa-ay too long for some cars, don't know how particular the Mazda screens and oil passages are but in a Honda you'd be asking for it.

Follow the owners manual - 3.7 quarts + filter change. Change filter every time - you could get by with "juat" a filter change and a charge-up of the oil with say 1/2 qt, but if you're doing it do it the whole way. Fram = yuck, stick with OEM.

I can't wait until the 3,000 mi interval, I am a heavy footer so I know the oil gets toasty and thin and with the S. Florida heat i change mine like every 2,000 or less depending on the discoloration of the oil, so I always keep 1-2 cases of Mobil-1 10w-30 and 3-4 Fram Tough Gaurds (6607's) always on hand

DAWIV said:
Mobil 1 10W30 and a Pureone filter every 3,000 or so. Synthetic oil can be run for more miles than conventional oil. Its normal to change the both the filter and oil at the same time.
Thats my set-up and advice too, and stay away from FRAM.

Velocifero said:
and stay away from FRAM.

i have heard this, but I have been using fram filters for many, many years on high milage cars and have never had any trouble.

Protege52003 said:
i have heard this, but I have been using fram filters for many, many years on high milage cars and have never had any trouble.
Two different times on two different high milage cars (one import-626, one domestic-Blazer) and they were the worst filters I ever tried.

I was a long time fram filter user and have two high mileage cars that I used to use them on. I read an article on www.overboost.com on filters and it convinced me to switch to the Purolator Pure One filters. Even some OEM's are good, but I like the features of the Pureone!

The Fram filters are not built well and do not do as good of a job as other filters out there. Never had any engine troubles, but I am not going to take any more risk. They sell a ton of those filters however.

Protege52003 said:
please define what made them the worse filters you have tried? thanks
sorry, i was replying quickly, at work you know how it goes, well just between oil changes I would be on a regular schedule, changed every 3-3.5K miles, for the first several times I would try different filters and oils to see what I liked and didn't. After the Fram filter the oil was nasty black and even gritty, I never had that problem before with any other filter, I checked everything too to make sure it wasn't the engine. It was the 626 and I didn't ever drive it hard. So I went to something else and the oil came out fairly clean after the same time and as much the same conditions as possible. So then on the Blazer I used one and had the same result, nasty oil, so I decided twice was enough evidence for me and I also talked about it to a mechanic friend of my father and he said they were crap, so when i got this car I researched it and decided on my current set-up and I am very pleased, so IMO the Fram's were'nt filtering too well.

Velocifero said:
sorry, i was replying quickly, at work you know how it goes, well just between oil changes I would be on a regular schedule, changed every 3-3.5K miles, for the first several times I would try different filters and oils to see what I liked and didn't. After the Fram filter the oil was nasty black and even gritty, I never had that problem before with any other filter, I checked everything too to make sure it wasn't the engine. It was the 626 and I didn't ever drive it hard. So I went to something else and the oil came out fairly clean after the same time and as much the same conditions as possible. So then on the Blazer I used one and had the same result, nasty oil, so I decided twice was enough evidence for me and I also talked about it to a mechanic friend of my father and he said they were crap, so when i got this car I researched it and decided on my current set-up and I am very pleased, so IMO the Fram's were'nt filtering too well.

i know how is goes at work......i am able to surf the forum a lot with my work conditions. i guess that is some good info on your research....i used a STP filter on my last change and i went back to mobil1. i will see if i notice any difference when i change my oil 7-8K down the road.

my synthetic is uaually still looking good when i change my oil every time for the past 3.5 years with fram filters. we will see when i make my next change?

Thanks.....

-R

Back