Oil usage amounts. Post them here.

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
Just a survey on the average oil usage for different SkyA engines in different climates and driving styles. Post your stats in this order:

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna):
Engine:
Current Mileage (km/mi):
Oil Type (and viscosity):
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi):
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km:

My stats.

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Grandma hypermileage with some Senna
Engine: 2.0L SkyA-G Petrol
Current Mileage (km/mi): 21700mi
Oil Type (and viscosity): Mobil 1 Full Syn 0w20 (one quart of 10w30 mixed during summer)
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5000mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: None/< 1qt

Last edited:
Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna):Grandma with a little normal. Senna days are over.
Engine:2.5L
Current Mileage (km/mi):1200
Oil Type (and viscosity):0-20w Factory fill
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi):I will change at 7500 mi.
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km:N/A but up to now it seems normal

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Grandma with some Normal
Engine: 2.0L
Current Mileage (km/mi): 32.XXX
Oil Type (and viscosity): 0w20 (Valvoline/Mobil1/Pennzoil Platinum)
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5000mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: none

Cape Coral, FL
Suburban easy/normal
2.5L FWD
PP 0w20
3,000 oci FF
down 1/8 inch in 3,000 miles on second oil change and I change my own oil/filter

Last edited:
Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Ayrton Senna Lite (I give it the beans a lot, but also cruise sometimes)
Engine: 2.5L SkyA-G Petrol
Current Mileage (km/mi): 23000mi
Oil Type (and viscosity): Mazda 0W-20 w/ moly
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5000mi-7000mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: Zero

Driving Style: Normal to moderately aggressive
Engine: 2.0L
Current Mileage: 29K miles
Oil Type: Recommended synthetic
Intervals: 7.5K miles
Oil Used in 2000 miles: none observed (and no oil added between changes)

Driving Style: Normal to assertive
Engine: 2.0l
Current Mileage: 15k
Oil Type: Mazda super-moly 0-20W
Oil Change Intervals: 5k
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: None. Engine used about 1/2 pint during break-in; after that-Nada

Definitely gonna subscribe to this thread.... there are long threads on Nissan forums with early VQ35DE motors. Fortunately the HR in my G seems to have most of those issue addressed but am keen to know how these SkyActiv engines do as they approach 100K miles.

EDIT: I plan to do Schedule 1 and won't hit the mileage limit so it will be 6 months. I've always had good luck with my Amsoil. I know lots of others have their own favorite as well.

ASM.jpg

SAE 0W-20 Signature Series
EA15K01.jpg

EA15K12-EA

Last edited:
Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Normal
Engine: 2.0L Skyactiv
Current Mileage (km/mi): 17,000 miles
Oil Type (and viscosity): Mazda 0-20 w/moly
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 7,500 miles
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: none

Doesn't use any oil now and I don't see why it would in the foreseeable future.

These engines are engineered and built in Japan using state of the art precision equipment and techniques with skilled and highly dedicated operators. They are machined to very high tolerances.

These engines are engineered and built in Japan using state of the art precision equipment and techniques with skilled and highly dedicated operators. They are machined to very high tolerances.[/B]

I have high confidence as well. I plan to keep the CX-5 for at least 10-15 years.

Definitely gonna subscribe to this thread.... there are long threads on Nissan forums with early VQ35DE motors. Fortunately the HR in my G seems to have most of those issue addressed but am keen to know how these SkyActiv engines do as they approach 100K miles.

EDIT: I plan to do Schedule 1 and won't hit the mileage limit so it will be 6 months. I've always had good luck with my Amsoil. I know lots of others have their own favorite as well.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a VQ35DE in my Infiniti I traded in for the CX-5. At 100k miles even with stringent care using Mobil 1 full syn throughout its life, it managed to consume more oil than my RX-8 ever did. I was looking at a quart every 2000 miles. I've read worse on the forums concerning the VQ.

I think as mileage start to build on these SkyActiv engines, it would be good to keep track of its behavior. Especially the early builds. I do have very good faith in engines given the lack of problems arising anywhere.

I'm not concerned with oil usage (since none has observed) between changes on my Skyactiv Mazda 2.0L, confidence level is very good.

But then I haven't had to add oil between changes for last 2+ decades with various Mazda, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes engines. I have observed some oil usage at acceptable levels with Ford, Jeep and Porsche engines.

My first car...a well worn '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo seemed like it was almost a two stroke as it consumed a quart of oil every 200-300 miles. Ring issues, worn valve guide seals and misc leaks but it did run. I've generally never had issues myself and even my VQ35DE which is renowned for that only uses maybe an 1/8 quart on it's annual oil change at around 9-10K miles.

My stats.

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Normal hyper-mileage with some spirited
Engine: 2.5L SkyA-G Petrol
Current Mileage (km/mi): 29,500mi
Oil Type (and viscosity): Mazda Moly 0w20 (Mazda oil & air filters)
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5000-6000mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: None/< 1 ounce but I've never had to add oil once even with my 2.0.

I'm not concerned with oil usage (since none has observed) between changes on my Skyactiv Mazda 2.0L, confidence level is very good.

But then I haven't had to add oil between changes for last 2+ decades with various Mazda, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes engines. I have observed some oil usage at acceptable levels with Ford, Jeep and Porsche engines.

You are lucky, I had a '02 S2000 that needed a quart of oil every 1k miles... (apparently a common issue with the early engines from '00-'02. Its less if you drive it like grandma but then why bother owning a 9k rpm engine car?

Also had a '01 VW Jetta 1.8T that had a leak somewhere in the turbo seals . Needed a quart every 1k miles as well (based on normal driving)

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Grandpa/Normal
Engine: 2.5i Flat 4
Current Mileage (km/mi): 17,000
Oil Type (and viscosity): 0w20, 5w30, which ever was available when needed
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 6,000 mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: 1 qt. EVERY 2000 miles since NEW.

Whoops!!! That was my 2014 Subaru Forester I purchased new!!! Had to add a qt. every 2000 miles since new on my Subaru Forester. Subaru would not acknowledge a problem until 1 quart is required every 1,300 miles. Did the Subaru "buy it back" deal and traded it for a 2015 CX-5 AWD with 13,000 miles on it (1 yr lease return) Couldn't be happier. NO oil required over the 5,000 miles I have driven it so far.:) Miss the 6 speed manual of the Subie, but the auto in the CX-5 isn't bad.

I thought you had a Nissan VQ there for a moment. :) Although my VQ35HR doesn't use any oil... the DE is another story.

My CX-5 doesn't use any oil either. I initially had a concern but it was because oil wasn't filled to upper line at delivery.

So glad I didn't purchase a Subaru.. it would have most likely been an oil burner '14 model if I had gotten one when I got the the CX-5.

The closest I ever came to a Subaru was as a kid and almost bought an '83 Subaru turbo wagon. I think that was the first year they offered a turbo.

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): Grandpa/Normal
Engine: 2.5i Flat 4
Current Mileage (km/mi): 17,000
Oil Type (and viscosity): 0w20, 5w30, which ever was available when needed
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 6,000 mi
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: 1 qt. EVERY 2000 miles since NEW.

Whoops!!! That was my 2014 Subaru Forester I purchased new!!! Had to add a qt. every 2000 miles since new on my Subaru Forester. Subaru would not acknowledge a problem until 1 quart is required every 1,300 miles. Did the Subaru "buy it back" deal and traded it for a 2015 CX-5 AWD with 13,000 miles on it (1 yr lease return) Couldn't be happier. NO oil required over the 5,000 miles I have driven it so far.:) Miss the 6 speed manual of the Subie, but the auto in the CX-5 isn't bad.

Driving Style Normal, occasional hard acceleration when fully warm.
Engine: 2.5
Current Mileage (km/mi): 15k miles
Oil Type (and viscosity): mazda OE
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5000
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: over 1 quart every 3000 miles

Started getting awful MPG the last 3 tanks. over 5mpg less than normal. Less than 3k miles on this oil change (15k miles total)
Check the oil and its barely registering at the bottom of the dipstick. Probably a little over a quart in 3k miles. So apparently on my new CX-5 this is "normal"

"To be considered abnormal, oil consumption must be 1 quarter per 1500 miles"
so in a standard 7500 mile oil change interval, there will be NO oil left, and thats apparently jolly-ok by mazda.

I have a feeling my love affair with this car is about to abruptly end.

my 160k miata didnt burn this much oil

Driving Style (Grandma, Normal, or Ayrton Senna): mostly normal, sometimes lead foot
Engine: 2.5L Skyactiv
Current Mileage (km/mi): ~8,200 miles
Oil Type (and viscosity): 0W20 Mazda with Moly, Mazda OEM filter
Oil Change Intervals (km/mi): 5,000 miles
Oil Amount Used/Added Every 2000mi/3200km: None

Latest posts

Back