Oil Pressure Sensor Install. HELP!!!!!

02MazPro5

:
02 Protege5
Can someone give me a run down on how to install the oil pressure sensor for the protege5? Where to put it and how much of a PITA is it?

Well if you say sensor I'm assuming you are going with electric oil pressure gauge but pretty much same thing for both types. You're gonna need a T fitting to go on the block (backside under intake manifold) so both the oem & the one for the gauge can be hooked up. Put the T in the block & both sensors in it & connect up the wiring.

rednecks_r_us said:
Thats why I'm waiting to put in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge when I swap motors again.
Yeah, I have the oil pressure & volts in the pod with the wiring run to under the dash but haven't pushed stuff thru firewall yet. Need another T also instead of robbing the one from my truck. Was debating on mechanical vs. elec oil gauge & have both but the elec oil gauge's trim ring doesn't match the volt gauge trim ring exactly like the mech oil gauge does so still not done debating. Access to the area doesn't seem bad when under car, especially if oil filter is off.

I replaced my T fittings with a sandwich plate (oil block adaptor) from eBay. Imo, it's the best solution and was installed in less then 30 mins. No leaks or anything, and the HUGE Autometer sender fit without any problems (had trouble getting it positioned right when using the stupid T fitting).

3d_1.JPG

CrazyCaker said:
I replaced my T fittings with a sandwich plate (oil block adaptor) from eBay. Imo, it's the best solution and was installed in less then 30 mins. No leaks or anything, and the HUGE Autometer sender fit without any problems (had trouble getting it positioned right when using the stupid T fitting).

3d_1.JPG
Nice! Mucho + rep 4 u man. That's the 2nd great idea from here today just browsing for nothing inparticular that cleanly & effectively solves a couple of things I have been goin over different solutions for. Got a cool new P5 shirt from spazchicken to boot. You know, this forum just kicks ass & does it often.

Also, it looks like I could go ahead & run lines to an oil cooler or remote filter or both, run the gauge from that hole on the side of the sandwich & leave the oem dummy light where it already is, right? Or would the oil pump be able to push that much oil around? The extra capacity would be great.

Last edited:
hey man,

I just ordered one of the plates for my car. Its an awesome idea as long as it works like they are supposed to and have a good longevity. As for the oil filter, do you still use the stock filter number or does that change?

Oh yeah, and do you need to grab any adapters for the autometer sending unit and the oem one?

Thanks mang

Matt

urbanbiker said:
hey man,

I just ordered one of the plates for my car. Its an awesome idea as long as it works like they are supposed to and have a good longevity. As for the oil filter, do you still use the stock filter number or does that change?

Oh yeah, and do you need to grab any adapters for the autometer sending unit and the oem one?

Thanks mang

Matt

With this you don't move the OEM sender. The Autometer sender is 1/8 npt, the same as the taped holes on the sandwich plate, so nothing else is needed. I still use OEM oil filters.

edit: make sure you're getting the right sandwich plate that comes with the 20-1.5mm oil fitting for attaching it to the block.

CrazyCaker said:
With this you don't move the OEM sender. The Autometer sender is 1/8 npt, the same as the taped holes on the sandwich plate, so nothing else is needed. I still use OEM oil filters.

edit: make sure you're getting the right sandwich plate that comes with the 20-1.5mm oil fitting for attaching it to the block.

thanks for the info, when I ordered it I gave him my car specs like he asked. Im sure they have a listing for the correct fitting as thats what he asked for in the payment details.

I read more after about the oem location. So that gives me 2 extra ports which is cool as i'll need one for oil feed down the road.

Thanks for the help

Matt

Did those sandwich plates fit okay? I read some older threads where they mentioned having to dremel the oil filter bolt... ick!

khaosman said:
Did those sandwich plates fit okay? I read some older threads where they mentioned having to dremel the oil filter bolt... ick!

I don't know why they had to do that? Mine fit perfectly.

CrazyCaker said:
I don't know why they had to do that? Mine fit perfectly.

Glad to hear that! It might not have been that exact part. I'll be ordering one of those guys soon so I can install my pressure gauge and junk. Eventually the turbo too :) Thanks

CrazyCaker said:
Don't use that one for an oil cooler. Instead use this one...

80_2.JPG

Just do a search for sandwich plate, or oil block adaptor on eBay for them.

edit: I'm actually going to be using the one in the pic above w/ a Derale combo cooler (oil/tranny) from Summit Racing. You can get the core only and run your own braided lines. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=DER-15902B&N=400434+306499+115&autoview=sku
who actually makes this particular plate? trying to see if theres an aussie supplier, or if i can go direct through supplier and avoid costly ebay shipping hikes for international shipping

L8R said:
Greddy, but very expensive.

Try Summit Racing
that blue one is GReddy? the GReddy one's i've seen are much different...explains the price if it is tho

wanted for the 2 aux ports on the bottom for sensors.......

Back