Oil leak pls help

tom1991

:
Protege 1999 BJ
Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Mazda Protege BJ and am wondering if anyone can help me with a stupid oil leak problem.BTW before I start I have very minimal knowledge with part names and so on.The car has recently started leaking oil. When I noticed this I popped the hood and noticed that oil was everywhere. All over the black covers underneath the car only on the left side of the engine as I look at it. Oil has been sprayed from the sump to halfway up the back of the car underneath. The accessories belt is oily and makes a terrible noise upon start up. I have taken it to a friend who is a mechanic and works from his home garage to try and save cost as the car only cost 1500 and would almost cost that in labour to fix. He first thought, timing belt seals so we replaced the timing belt and all seals with it. We then still had the problem so we opened the oil sump and the 2 rubber seals that came off with that were very worn so we replaced them and applied silicon and put it back on however leak still persists. Mechanic says problem shouldn't be crank or camshaft seals as it was pretty dry around the bottom pulley however oil does seem to drip from around that vicinity. Lasts the Main Bearing Support bolts had been stripped by previous owner so we was unable to take that off for further inpection. I have had this car for 2 years now and only just had leak past 2 months. If I rive on the freeway it loses way more oil. I filled it up a week ago with oil and done heaps of freeway driving and it was empty in 6 days however can get 2 weeks out of 2 litres of oil if I only do city driving. ANYONE, ANY ADVICE PLEASE :)

It is probably the front oil seal on the crank shaft. You will need to take the timing belt off to change it out.

It is probably the front oil seal on the crank shaft. You will need to take the timing belt off to change it out.

And if you do replace the crank shaft seal then replace the camshaft seals, timing belt, water pump and belts if it has been at least 30,000 miles since replacement.

And if you do replace the crank shaft seal then replace the camshaft seals, timing belt, water pump and belts if it has been at least 30,000 miles since replacement.

Hi, Thanks I will give it a go the only reason why it did not get replaced when the timing belt was replaced was because apparently it seemed pretty dry around that area so it was assumed that it was not the seal from the crankshaft. The sump does appear to be very oily but it is very strange how the oil seems to pool directly below the bottom pulley. However this could be due to the amount of oil being sprayed around inside there. Thanks you for the advice

Crankshaft seal. and replace your camshaft seals too. since you're tearing that much into the engine to do a timing belt in the first place, its always a rule of thumb to replace any seals that are easily accessible. if it puddles under the crank pulley, its more than likely that seal. just be thankful you dont have to take the transmission out to do the rear main. its not too hard, but a whole lot has to come out just to replace one little seal.

Check your PCV system too. it blew out for a reason like that.

Back