Oil Filter

italgal02

:
2004 Mazda 3s (4 door)
HEY!
wow I havent been on here for a while, but I have a question. My boyfriend insists on changing the oil on my 3 instead of bringing it to the Mazda dealer...says its a waste of money. He def. knows how to do it, he change shis all the time, BUT when i went to pick up the filter from the dealer, they gave me a filter (with out the metal carttridge the regular FRAM, you knwo the orange can, ones come in) and two O rings. Now im a little worried because when he saw this, he was like where's the can?!?! So i called Mazda and he ass ont he line was not helpful but my understanding is that when he removes the old filter + metal cartridge, he is to take out the filter and insert the new, clean one along with the O rings.... IS THAT RIGHT?!?!??!

Hope someone sees this ASAP
Sally~

Is your car the 2.3? If it is then you have to take off the skidplate to have easy access to the filter. When you take out the old filter you should take out the old O rings and replace it with the new ones.

Your Mazda3 2.3l engine uses a cartridge oil-filter rather than the traditional spin-on type.

What you purchased from your dealership is correct. It is possible and people have changed their own oil with this cartridge oil filter - just take special care the first time since its unfamiliar.

GREAT! thanks
Anyone know how much Oil is need, 4? 5? Im thinking 4.... Just want to make sure!

thanks again

thought 04 2.3 MZR got the bigger pan maybe sertain build dates got 5 instead of 4.5 The how-to links are in te how to section. If he didn't like the cartridge setup there is a link as well for the conversion next time around.

Back