Oil filter upgrade

3P5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I did a search trying to figure out about this "bigger" oil filter we can run on the P5's but can't find out which car I need to get a filter for. Also when I get this larger filter what will the total capacity be?

Get one for a 626 with V6 engine, I prefer Bosch and part# is 3323. Total capacity will be 4qts even.

^^^ that's what I went for.
A really nice thing is that the P5 & 626 filters cost the same (at the few auto stores I went to) even though they're identical minus the height.

Awesome! Advance Auto has 5 quarts of Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter for $33 bucks,gonna give that a go. Thanks again!

Wrx oil filters work as well as an alternative as for cost I'm not sure how much more it costs

As far as brand I use wix or k&n. I know one filters better and one​ flows better but I don't remember which one does what haha.
I get my oil at 2 Auto parts stores (whichever is on sale for Royal purple) and I buy either or because one carries wix the other k&n.

Edit: they are twice as much as the oem type filters, I pay like $11-$12 for the filter and$38 for oil.

Wix 51365 is OEM, 51356 is a tad longer. I can always remember the numbers, but I can never remember which is which.

Umm...am I missing something? (ughdance)(ughdance)

2nd post: "Get one for a 626 with V6 engine, I prefer Bosch and part# is 3323. Total capacity will be 4qts even."
You asked the benefit of running a larger filter which would be the capacity. IIRC the stock filter size holds 3.6qts whereas the 626 V6 size filter will hold 4qts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What would be the benefit of running a larger filter/more oil?

The benefit is more filter media...
A smaller filter the sooner it fills up with crud.
There is a bypass valve that kicks in at 12 psi when it's clogged then no oil gets filtered.

Do your car a favour and change your oil and filter every 3000 miles ...

$70 oil and $20 filters aren't doing your car any good if you run them for 10,000 miles.

(and use seafoam... It dissolves all the crap for your filter to catch)

I use these... Built for a 626...

Last edited:
I change my oil every 5k miles, I use full synthetic Royal purple and wix 626 oil filter. It costs about $55, I change my drain plug every other oil change with a magnetic tip, so it costs $61 every other oil change.
I get 5k in 2-3months so 4 oil changes a year. Not bad seeing how it's standard maintenance.

You asked the benefit of running a larger filter which would be the capacity. IIRC the stock filter size holds 3.6qts whereas the 626 V6 size filter will hold 4qts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ah ok, I overlooked the additional capacity there...and sometimes I need things spelled out for me heh ;)

The benefit is more filter media...
A smaller filter the sooner it fills up with crud.
There is a bypass valve that kicks in at 12 psi when it's clogged then no oil gets filtered.

Do your car a favour and change your oil and filter every 3000 miles ...

This was helpful as well, wrapping my head around why more oil/larger filter could be beneficial. And, I absolutely change my oil every 3k-5k, trying to make this one last a bit!

I buy Walmart oil for $11-$13 dollars... Two bucks for a filter... Half a can of seafoam (six bucks).

Real cheap... Real easy... No excuse to not change it other than laziness...

I change every 5,000 km... Real easy to track with my metric odometer... Don't need to chart nothin...

You don't want this to happen...
Change your oil often...
And use Seafoam to dissolve that crap...
(yea Mr. Giggles... I stole your picture again)

Back