2017~2024 Oil drain plug stripped from dealer

If it's just the Allen drain plug that is stripped that would be a much smaller issue. I'd fix it myself. The part is cheap and it's not worth the throwing a fit or the time sitting around at the dealership waiting for them to fix it. Now if it was the drain plug threads, whole different story.

I was casually standing at a Ford dealer waiting for a parts guy and saw a fella with a work shirt that had FORD on it, removing spark plugs with an impact wrench. I mean an impact and not just an air ratchet. This is totally unacceptable. Ed

If it's just the Allen drain plug that is stripped that would be a much smaller issue. I'd fix it myself. The part is cheap and it's not worth the throwing a fit or the time sitting around at the dealership waiting for them to fix it. Now if it was the drain plug threads, whole different story.

I would give them a chance to fess up, and make sure management is aware this happened and was noticed. If they don't care, then be done with them. On the other hand, they may say - "yeah, that tech, Bill was hired on a recommendation. We started him on oil changes and service and after 2 days found out he was a bozo and fired him and the guy who recommended him. We're sorry this happened to you, we thought we'd caught all of the cars he'd touched and made sure they were okay. Here's a $100 voucher for service or parts. Please give us another chance."

It's important for the dealer to know this happened to help prevent it in the future. And if something gets worse when you're working on it, you'll own the problem then, not them.

How'd they get it so tight if it's all rounded out?

Probably stripped the hex portion when they zapped it in there nice and tight, lol

I would give them a chance to fess up, and make sure management is aware this happened and was noticed. If they don't care, then be done with them. On the other hand, they may say - "yeah, that tech, Bill was hired on a recommendation. We started him on oil changes and service and after 2 days found out he was a bozo and fired him and the guy who recommended him. We're sorry this happened to you, we thought we'd caught all of the cars he'd touched and made sure they were okay. Here's a $100 voucher for service or parts. Please give us another chance."

Eh, you could do that if you wanted, for me a $10 drain plug isn't worth my time. Now, when I go to buy the drain plug I would make sure to stop by the service counter and tell them it happened. But I wouldn't expect much in response unless you have a really, really good dealership.

I say this only because I work in a dealership and I work in the service department. I work for a Ford dealer now, but I previously worked for a Nissan dealer and things were handled more or less the same. If you came into the dealership I work at and told them this, you'd probably get an "Oh I'm really sorry that happened, allow us to look at it to investigate further."

They'd pull it in, see the stripped plug, put a new one in for you and then say, "Yes the plug was stripped but we don't believe we are at fault." Then they'd charge you for the plug and oil change and offer you a free car wash for the inconvenience.

This is just based off my experience, you may have better luck but me personally, I haven't seen it.

I'm trying to vizualize this. OP, when you say "stripped", what do you mean? To me, stripped implies stripped threads, and then the plug would be loose [and probably leaking]. But yours is tight. Do you mean the shoulders of the hex are rounded?

Yes. The hex is now just a round hole

This is why I use Fumoto valves...not so much the dealer messing up but to protect from my clumsy self.

Yep I've stripped threads on my oil pan in the past. I'm much more handy now but been traumatized. (confused) Nightmares of leaky oil pans haunt me.

Fumoto FTW. Super simple and clean, no pan threads or Allen holes to strip, and no stress on oil pan gasket from torquing plug. Totally sheltered in the CX-5 set-up too.

Using them on all my cars (MX-5, GTI and CX-5) for driveway DIY oil & filter changes. Same exact part number for all three too. When I was having a front end part installed on my '00 Civic hatchback prior to selling it (CX-5 replaced it), I had the mechanic quickly take it off and replace it with my stock Honda drain plug. Soon migrated the Honda's Fumoto to the brand new CX-5, too sweet to let it go.

1WK3uGMh.jpg

Fumoto FTW. Super simple and clean, no pan threads or Allen holes to strip, and no stress on oil pan gasket from torquing plug. Totally sheltered in the CX-5 set-up too.
Fumoto valve is not perfect. Its thread is too long extended into the oil pan which prevents a complete drain. This also prevents some heavier metal shavings draining out with the old oil. Another disadvantage is the drain hole is smaller and it takes longer time to drain.

Fumoto valve is not perfect. Its thread is too long extended into the oil pan which prevents a complete drain. This also prevents some heavier metal shavings draining out with the old oil. Another disadvantage is the drain hole is smaller and it takes longer time to drain.

Knowing these disadvantages...I'm still team Fumoto myself. That said, didn't someone here trim there thread a tiny bit?

If only Mazda adopted oil canister inside engine bay like BMW and Subaru does. I'd use an oil extractor to remove oil from engine. No more going underneath cars. Miss doing that on my BMW.

This is the way Mercedes does oil changes btw. Electronic oil extractor via dipstick.

Latest posts

Back