oil consumption, pcv valve/oil filters

mikewashere

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
just had a couple quick questions after searching through the site a bit about the issue I'm having (noticing my oil is going low quite often, about a liter a week and also very dirty.) Did a little re search and came up with a couple solutions for this some of you may know of. 1 being the Supercharged Millenia PCV Valve, how many of you have done this mod, and does it help from your oil going low?? Also if I'm going to order this pcv, what year millenia would I order it for??

Second question is about oil filters, I read on the forum that the oil filters are very small for these motors and that you can get a larger filter I'm guessing for another car. What filter did these guys use/for what car? And if you have, or know anyone that has used a bigger filter in there msp, how was the outcome?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use the Millenia S PCV and stock oil filter. If you are loosing that much oil you are either burning it or leaking it. Many people have switched to the higher capacity 626( I think) oil filter. Personally I don't see the need, its still a tiny engine and 3.9 qts of oil is plenty for it. I switched PCV type a long time ago after noticing that the stock one was leaking around the hoses. Have not had that problem since I began putting the Purolator PV 1047.

I'll do the pcv and go from there, it doesn't blow smoke or leak at the driveway that I can see. What year millenia S did you order your pcv for?

The Purolator PV1047 is the part number for the supercharged Millenia, not sure of the year. You will pay a lot more for a genuine Mazda part fyi. Less than $3 for the PV1047 at any retail parts store.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention in here that it runs extremely rich, I don't have an a/f installed yet I don't entirely need one at this point to tell me though can almost taste the fuel burning out of the exhaust. I've read online that in high rpm's + rich a/f can cause oil burning?

Back