Oil Components / Tranny help

Jenna

:
2004 Mazda 6i GT GFX
So I posted this in another section - but thought the manitoba group might be quicker to respond..

Okay, so although my warrenty should cover the issue (the car is being towed in tomorrow) I would like to have some idea about the possible issues causing the problem...

Because I've had zero issues to date, I haven't had to deal with my engine other than basic oil changes and I really haven't had much time to go through and figure out much.

So here's my problem, and hopefully where some of you may be able to help with your expertise and experience..

So i did an oil change on the car Monday night, Tuesday morning when I went to take it to work, Got in, started it.. sounded fine.. let it run for a minute as I always do, switched into reverse to back out of the garage, but I didn't feel or hear the tranny engage and shift gears (automatic with the manual shifter as well I should add). To ensure I wasn't imagining anything, I gently accelerated to back up... nothing (well not until she revved up to 2500 RPM..) at which point I put it back into park, shut the car off and took the hubby's truck to work.. I didn't want to risk doing any damage to the engine or tranny since obviously something wasn't right.

Got home, checked the tranny fluid first... dry.. makes absolutly no sense.. (just so you know, nothing is leaking from my car)

Took the truck again on Wednesday, picked up tranny fluid, filled it up and decided I'd keep an eye on it. Ran the engine a bit to get everything flowing. Decided to check my oil for the hell of it.. not even sure why I did.. Well it was 3 times higher than it should have been... makes no sense obviously.. okay, drain out some of the oil.. no idea what's going on at this point. After draining out some of the oil and topping it up to cover the too much that I drained.. I check the tranny fluid again.. Dry

At this point I'm extremely confused... I look at the oil I just drained out of the car and guess what... it's full of tranny fluid.

So my question is, what can cause this... when we talked to the dealer, they said it was impossible... although after admitted that they had just never seen this happen before and there's a first time for everything, but they don't see how it's possible.

My other question is does the mazda 6 have a tranny cooler and oil cooler that are side by side as one component? This is the only thing that I can think of.

Just a couple of details on the car - Engine Oil changes are completed every 6000km. the car has approximately 68,000 km's on it (thank god for 80,000 bumper to bumper and 100,000 power train). it's an 04.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

maybe i'm not reading this just right but, did you drain the tranny by accident and then added to much engine oil thinking you had just drained it out??

I'm not sure which part is scarrier. The fact that the original poster actually did this and can't figure it out, or that the dealer can't figure it out either.

bazooka joe said:
maybe i'm not reading this just right but, did you drain the tranny by accident and then added to much engine oil thinking you had just drained it out??

No I didn't drain my tranny and no i didn't add to much oil. You are reading wrong.

I did an oil change.

The next day, I started my car and there was something apparently wrong with the tranny (two total different items you would think).

I didn't have time to check it that morning. When I got home, I checked my tranny fluid first... and for whatever reason and completely to my surprise the tranny fluid was dry.

Went and bought more tranny fluid and added it to the appropriate level - seemed fine..

After adding the tranny fluid, started the car to let it run.. seemed to be fine but double checked things anyways.

My engine oil was way higher than it should be. so drained it down abit to get it to the appropriate level, then checked the tranny fluid which was dry again.

Looked at the oil that I had drained and it was full of tranny fluid.

Somehow, my tranny fluid is getting into my engine oil somewhere along the way.. so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how this is happening.

I'm not a moron and I did not add tranny fluid to my engine oil.. so, if you can provide some useful ideas or assistance, I would appreciate it. If not, please don't post.

If you have warranty, let the dealer take care of it. If they are incompetant, demand them to tow to another one.

Ok, so who's going to go first on telling what the problem is?..

I'll start. The engine and the transmission (transxale) use different resoviors, and different oils.

LinuxRacr said:
Ok, so who's going to go first on telling what the problem is?..

I'll start. The engine and the transmission (transxale) use different resoviors, and different oils.

NO s***.

Forget I asked. The dealer can deal with it.. just thought something USEFUL might come out of here... my mistake.

Ok, either your explination was confusing, and some may have mis-understood, or the mis-understanding was all mine. Make no mistake we are here to help.

jenna, you gotta understand, there is no way the two are connected...you can't get tranny oil in the engine, and you can't get engine oil in the tranny....it doen't happen "naturally"

bazooka joe said:
jenna, you gotta understand, there is no way the two are connected...you can't get tranny oil in the engine, and you can't get engine oil in the tranny....unless you put it there yourself

There...fixed it for you.

jenna, you gotta tell us how this turns out...i'm hoping there is an explaination for it...

i'm not trying to be an @ss, but it sounds like one or the other got drained by accident and here in lies the problem...?

bazooka joe said:
i'm not trying to be an @ss, but it sounds like one or the other got drained by accident and here in lies the problem...?
This is exactly what I am thinking! Someone mistook the transaxle drain plug for the engine oil plug, drained out the fluid, filled up the engine oil but didn't check the level when done.

I used to work at a Mazda dealership here in winnipeg in the service department. This is not the first time I have heard of this happening.

i've made some woppers in my time! (headshake of course i have many years on a lot of you!! :)

haha!! thanks, had a good one with fam and friends...went to see invincible sat. night...great flick!
invis.gif

Back