Oil changes

Mr.Law

:
Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata
Hey guys-

I do my own oil changes on Marley, but just recently some people have been telling me that it's best to bring her to a shop - specifically, where I bought her from. So, what's best? Do I continue doing the oil changes myself or should I bring her to the Mazda dealer? Also, how do you feel about taking your car to a gas station that has "trained" mechanics? One of the gray-haired morons who I work with got all pissed at me because he insists there's no way I can do my own oil changes effectively (as if it's something difficult - besides, I've been doing them for umpteen years among everything else for maintenance). Let me know what you guys do so I can knock some sense into him.

BTW, I proposed to Eleni a little over a week ago and she said "yes"! I feel like the happiest and luckiest man in the world. (yippy) (thumb) :D :)

Michael

Last edited:
first off, congrats to you and eleni!! i wish you both the best of luck and many, many years of happiness.

as far as the oil changes go, if i were you id continue doing them myself. imo, doing it yourself is the best way to prevent morons from making bonehead mistakes on your car (ie, forgetting to put the oil cap back on, putting the wrong oil, etc). youd be surprised how often it actually happens. however, if you are lazy like me and have a very reputable mechanic that you know well and feel comfortable taking it to, then i wouldnt mind taking it in.

The biggest thing about bringing it into shops is you are proving that you are following the regular maintenance schedule. This of course comes into place during warranty issues.

If you do it on your own, be sure that you are keeping ALL receipts for oil filters and oil. That'll at least prove you're doing it. Perhaps write down mileage on the receipts as well...

You should be ok doing it on your own though.

Truly, congrats on the engagement (yes)....we'll all expect invites (another reason for karting!!!)

What Steve ^ said; just do it yourself, keep the "records", and you should be good. I'd stay away from the "gas station" crowd though. About the only thing I'd take it to the dealer for is like a Full Circle inspection and perhaps an oil change every so often just to 'stay in touch" with the service manager....hell, I stop in at the dealer sometimes during lunch just to shoot the s***.....I have issues...

Kick that idiot in the nads. Not doing your own oil changes effectively? I suppose gravity works faster on a lift than in your garage? What a moron.

There's no way in hell I'd let anyone making $7/hr change my oil. they're the same $7/hr idiots who can't even put the right s*** in my bag at a driveup window. Anyways, for the $20 they charge and god knows what oil filter or brand oil they use, I can put an oversized filter on my car from a known brand, and put synthetic oil in instead of dino sludge.

if you are comfortable doing all your own oil changes, i see no reason to let anyone else do them.

do it yourself, it's quicker, you use the filter and oil you want to use, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did job yourself.

Back