oil catch can problem

cghms3

:
2009 mazda mazdaspeed 3 metro grey
I had my mechanic install a james barone racing oil catch can (stage 2). Car was ok for a few days, then it threw a cel - rich idle. The only other mods are a mazdaspeed cai, mazdaspeed catback, and a Hypertech tune. The mechanic had to mount the catch can a little lower in order to clear the cold air intake. When the mechanic took the occ off, the car has not thrown a cel since (its been about a month now). What could be wrong, and how can he fix it? I would like to reinstall it. Last question, does the occ violate California smog laws? Im trying to keep the car smog legal (I can take the occ off if I have to do a smog check). Thanks

I had my mechanic install a james barone racing oil catch can (stage 2). Car was ok for a few days, then it threw a cel - rich idle. The only other mods are a mazdaspeed cai, mazdaspeed catback, and a Hypertech tune. The mechanic had to mount the catch can a little lower in order to clear the cold air intake. When the mechanic took the occ off, the car has not thrown a cel since (its been about a month now). What could be wrong, and how can he fix it? I would like to reinstall it. Last question, does the occ violate California smog laws? Im trying to keep the car smog legal (I can take the occ off if I have to do a smog check). Thanks

I'd like to help you get this back on. a Rich idle code could have been a fluke and not too seroius. Did you clear it and see if it came back? I would also be willing to speak with the mechanic to ensure he had it installed correctly if that would help.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jamie - Thanks for responding to my problem (sorry about the time lag) - I will have the mechanic contact you the week of August 20th. I would love to have the occ back on the car.

Hmmm, I installed my JBR OCC per the posted instructions last week and haven't had any problems. I'm guessing you mechanic didn't get something tight during the install or it was coincidental with the installation; anyway, good luck.

Back