Offset compatibility

LionofZion

:
2007 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
Hi, I have read a little on wheel offset, and I know our stock number is 52.5. I was going to powder coat my stickers, but I think it would make more sense for me to find a good deal and sell them, since they are probably 99% condition. One set I was looking at is +35mm. And the other question is how wide can the wheel be and still fit a 225? The ones I'm looking at are 8"wide. And I'd prefer not to do a ton of modifications. Thanks

8" is perfect for 225. +35 is going to require some rolling and maybe even a slight pull with 225.

I have 18x8 +40 with 225s and I rolled my fenders and I'll still rub slightly when I have people in the back and go over a particularly nasty bump.

Thanks! I haven't ever messed with rolling/pulling fenders, and I was hoping I could get away with not doing it. So if we have a +52 offset, what would be the closest option for us without rolling the fenders, maybe +45 offset?

I currently have my stockers with with 215's and I have them spaced out with 15mm in rear and 20mm in the front to make them about +37.5 offset in the rear, +32.5 in front. This is stock height un-rolled and I only rub on bumps with people in the back. I plan on rolling in near future with maybe a set of H&R springs, however if I go to a 18x8 +40 to keep a 215 width and come down from a 45 to a 40 series to try and keep some clearance possibly... I dont wanna have to pull and paint (no)

One of the sets I found have an offset of 72...on that fitment website, it looks like they will be rubbing against the suspension components. Would a spacer make that work? I know that extreme spacing can affect tire wear, ride. I don't want to do anything complicated or expensive. My stock wheels only have a few small smudges, looks like no curb rash. New ones on eBay are going for $200+ each wheel. Do you think they would sell quickly for around $500/set? It may end up being cheaper to find a deal on an aftermarket set, than powder coating the stock wheels.

+72 offset? Are you sure? That's 2.8" ... that's alot! Whats the width? Besides definitely hitting the shocks, they would be sunk really far in the wheel well. Positive offset is the distance of the wheel hub to the center of the wheel, the lower the number, the closer to center the hub will be. Same with Negative offset, however in the opposite direction.

The site states this specifically " The strut shown in the diagram is for show only - Don't worry if the wheel looks like it fouls! "

But if you do go more than stock you will be hitting the strut for sure. An offset of 72! You sure it's no the center bore size? The max I have seen many wheels is about +50-55 max! Although not a Mazda3, on my P5 I am running +50 FD Wheels with an 8mm spacer in rear and 6mm in front bringing me to +42 in rear and +44 in front. I am flush with the rear fenders and can guess where I may be at if I decide to go with a lower offset.

I always suggest members on here to look at the Stance or Slammed thread to get an idea what certain measurements will look like on thier cars. There are many MZ3's and MS3's to look at there to give you a sort of idea.

Wifes Speed3 is running Konig Runaway 17x8 +46mm. Not the best picture to show but it has about 10mm or so to go before the rim of the wheel is flush to the fender.

2011-08-18133809.jpg

What would be required to run a 18x8 with a +18 offset? If I'm thinking correctly, it would bring it way out, maybe too far past flush with the fender? More flush is fine with me, but at what point does this affect contact angle/camber and cause ride and tire wear issues?

What would be required to run a 18x8 with a +18 offset? If I'm thinking correctly, it would bring it way out, maybe too far past flush with the fender? More flush is fine with me, but at what point does this affect contact angle/camber and cause ride and tire wear issues?

Now +18?? Now you're going way out the other way. That will be sticking way out past the fenders and quarter panels. You will more than likely hit when turning the wheels in the front, and any kind of significant bump, your tire will be hitting and rubbing the quarter panel thus destroying the tires and eventually your quarter panel. I don't think you fully understand offset. You preferably want to be anywhere between +40 and +45mm offset, most anywhere outside that, you are asking for trouble or modification such as rolling, pulling, maybe bodywork. This is not supposed to be negative, just offering insight in making sure you don't tear up your car (2thumbs)

THX britz! I understand that it would be pretty far out there...but I found a set of wheels on sale so I had to ask!

Back