Official MAZDASPEED3 Specs: 247hp/280tq!!!

the 96 eclipse came out with a very limited run of auto's I got to drive the only one in florida when I worked there.:)

and the 03 volvo s40
and audi a4
and, and... I can't think of anymore

So does.... let's say, VW.... does the 1.8t come in auto too or anything newer like from the year 2000 and up?

I just wanna know for information, I never hear about any automatic turbo cars.

nvmsp said:
So does.... let's say, VW.... does the 1.8t come in auto too or anything newer like from the year 2000 and up?

I just wanna know for information, I never hear about any automatic turbo cars.

I know the higher end cars do. As far as "econo" cars, I don't know, I've edited that post with more cars that I can think of.

Any Vw you can get a turbo with an Auto. The new GTI and maybe the GLI has the new DSG transmission.

Nice info. Yea, I can understand the Audi type cars, my uncle has one in auto. but I was only thinking "econo" type cars like the eclipse,Gti etc.

icespeed said:
are your rumors that it's a variable auto? or a 6spd auto?

Read the press release: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123627269

Six-Speed Manual Transmission
The new Mazda3 MPS employs the six-speed manual transmission introduced with the Mazda6 MPS that provides the driver with the pleasure of having full control over the vehicles high power, while contributing to a quiet ride and better fuel economy. A compact three-shaft design made it possible to keep the overall length the same as for the five-speed manual transmission used in the base model. In addition, Mazda3 MPSs six-speed transmission uses wide gear ratios to fully exploit the wide
torque band of the direct-injection turbocharged engine. The transmissions high-ratio sixth gear contributes to a quieter ride and improves fuel economy during high-speed cruising. Triple-cone synchronizers for first through third gears and a double-cone synchronizer for fourth gear assure ample sync capacity to enable a short, clean-action shift stroke and comfortable shift feel.

dmitrik4 said:
but the MSP was only intended as a stopgap, one-year offering at the end of the protege's life cycle. i woudn't be surprised if keeping costs down was the #1 concern...plus, parent Ford's SVT focus was only making 170, so it wouldn't suprise me if the MSP was mandated to stay at or below that level.

I have to disagree. The MSP's power level was chosen for 2 reasons. 1, the 2.0L in the protege was originaly designed for less then 100 hp and it simply can be expected for product car reliability levels if pushed beyond 170 hp. 2, the car would start to suffer from torque steer and other transmission issues if pushed further.

will the mazdaspeed 3 be AWD or FWD?

If FWD I would be dissapointed, to build a truly potential car you really need AWD, anyone can tell you that after riding in a 500 hp srt 4 that just spins its tires through gears 1, 2, and 3...

love the engine... dont really care for the hatch, but smoking a few wrx and srt's will prob change that... I may have to start putting money away for a spicy orange paint job on a ms3 :)

Are people even reading the link in the first post?

1. FWD
2. Six-speed Manual
3. Only hatch

By the way, the freshened up Mazda3's (2007s) will have a 6-speed manual option, at least in Europe and Asia.

jaman said:
Are people even reading the link in the first post?

1. FWD
2. Six-speed Manual
3. Only hatch

By the way, the freshened up Mazda3's (2007s) will have a 6-speed manual option, at least in Europe and Asia.

did you see how long that post is????? I got into the second line and it was all Metric Standard. I'll wait for the American Translation and then read the first two lines again... lol

Until then, I can speculate.... muwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :)

Read the press release: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123627269

Six-Speed Manual Transmission
The new Mazda3 MPS employs the six-speed manual transmission introduced with the Mazda6 MPS that provides the driver with the pleasure of having full control over the vehicles high power, while contributing to a quiet ride and better fuel economy. A compact three-shaft design made it possible to keep the overall length the same as for the five-speed manual transmission used in the base model. In addition, Mazda3 MPSs six-speed transmission uses wide gear ratios to fully exploit the wide torque band of the direct-injection turbocharged engine. The transmissions high-ratio sixth gear contributes to a quieter ride and improves fuel economy during high-speed cruising. Triple-cone synchronizers for first through third gears and a double-cone synchronizer for fourth gear assure ample sync capacity to enable a short, clean-action shift stroke and comfortable shift feel.

Last edited:
linky no worky

..and read #57 I don't want to read the whole release!!!!!!!!! cliff notes PLEASE!!!!

btw, these two posts were meant to be taken "lightly", humorously, if you will. I'm sorry it didn't come across that way... I won't do it again :(

Chill out guys...Just read the facts...Now let's get back to discussing how bad ass this car is going to be!

Back