Official Exhaust Thread

Okay, quick inquiry: what would the verdict be on the toss up between a RB system or the Megan Racing one? Im in MI so I do t want anything that'll rust through. The materials don't look to be a problem from what I've seen. Looking for something that won't get me labeled as a ricer but still sound nice. That leaves me with the RB looks-wise. How does it fair to you guys as far as sound. I like both the tones and all though... Im stuck in a pickle now... And how's things as far as install? Any PITAs? I should think both would be easy with a jack and two hands... Also, I read about stiff motor mounts earlier? Would I need them? Im hella new to all this. I read through all 30 pages (some of it was boredom, some of it was intriguement) and got a better gist of what sounds good vs. Not so good IMO...

Okay, quick inquiry: what would the verdict be on the toss up between a RB system or the Megan Racing one? Im in MI so I do t want anything that'll rust through. The materials don't look to be a problem from what I've seen. Looking for something that won't get me labeled as a ricer but still sound nice. That leaves me with the RB looks-wise. How does it fair to you guys as far as sound. I like both the tones and all though... Im stuck in a pickle now... And how's things as far as install? Any PITAs? I should think both would be easy with a jack and two hands... Also, I read about stiff motor mounts earlier? Would I need them? Im hella new to all this. I read through all 30 pages (some of it was boredom, some of it was intriguement) and got a better gist of what sounds good vs. Not so good IMO...

Just purchased a Racing Beat Catback exhaust. I'm pretty sure its 304 stainless so hopefully won't rust up north. I'm installing it Thursday with an existing tsuedo header and modified stock intake. Didn't want a loud system with a big tailpipe. My reading is this was my best choice. Let's see how it goes.

Does anyone know if the only difference between the Racing Beat catback for the Protege5 and Protege sedan is the muffler assembly? I understand the tailpipe for the Protege5 is about 7" shorter than the sedan, but are the resonator and connecting tube the same? I was sent the wrong product and wanted to minimize the return shipping cost.

It mounts the exact same way, one is just longer after the muffler

When I bought my new 2003 P5 I got it with a sport exhaust - factory installed...they

gave me the original Mazda P5 muffler as well....I just found it in my garage, and I

don't think I'll ever need it.....it's brand new, never been used.
Wanna buy it from me?
The dealer sells it for $347.25 plus tax....I'll give it to you for $300. (save you

$90)
I'm in Toronto....e-mail me at 4otro4@gmail.com

6200am9_20.jpeg

7380nkl_20.jpeg

1128577_20.jpeg

5008k5k_20.jpeg

Lulz if you think someone wants to spend $300 on your factory P5 axle back exhaust, mate. Come on.

Factory stock parts are expensive. It cost me $230 for a brand new Racing Beat catback exhaust. It was made for the Protege sedan so I have to get the tailpipe cutback and tig welded. I guess in comparison it's still a good deal.

I'm well aware OEM parts are expensive but who would pay $300 for a P5 axle back when you just said yourself you can get a cat back brand new from Racing Beat that's stainless steel (which is Mig welded). And I believe Racing Beat makes an exhaust for the P5 so no welding is required but a little late for that now. Regardless, 4otro4 needs proper pics with signage to sell his golden muffler.

^^^^This, I paid $300 for a Thermal R&D catback earlier this year!!! No way is this guy going to get $300 for a factory axleback whether it's new or not. Not trying to be a dick but that's just the way it is.

hi guys ..well i see alot of info on this thread is a little old .im afte new and correct info .....im thinking of using the obx 4-2-1 or obx 4-1 header delete cat and some kind of cold air intake. on my 03 p5....no other mods,,,,,will i be able to use the totally stock ecm? any info will help....thx

Last edited:
I saw someone say they got for 275??? On racingbeat they have it for 475. Anyone know where to get this exhaust cheaper then 475?

I saw someone say they got for 275??? On racingbeat they have it for 475. Anyone know where to get this exhaust cheaper then 475?

except for used I don't see how he could have gotten it for that price o_O At least you're in the States. To Quebec (Canada) the shipping would cost minimum 135$ and not to mention probably a 100$ more for the custom fees (fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu....)

if i were to get OBX 4-2-1 headers and a magnaflow cat back would I be passing emissions most likely? (Connecticut)
everything else is stock except k&n cai

Back