Official Detroit Auto Show Thread

ZoomZoomH said:
trust me, it's not cultural. i'm chinese, and i think they're fugly as hell. they can only steal so many design cues from other makes, you still need some original creativity in putting it all together nicely.

i wonder if those things will even pass minimum US safety regulations right now.

Some of the cars .. a rarity, but there are a couple.. don't seem to be stealing design cues, and they look even worse sadly.

and on the crash test note.. here's this link: http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/18/chery-qq-crash-test/

I attended all of the press days. A few of my impressions:

2008 CTS is the best all-around car the U.S. has ever produced. Excellent design that looks even better in person than in the photos.

2008 Focus looks better in person than in photos. Still not great, but not awful. I thought it looked awful in the photos.

2008 Lancer/Evo a definite improvement, but then the current one is more in need of a redesign than anything else sold today. The Evo concept has lots of alcantara in the interior that looks great but won't make it to production.

2007 Mazda CX-9 has good room inside, and interior is VERY well-finished CX-7 in some ways but up a few notches.

My full impressions:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/naias1.php

I just got home from attending tonight, probably the first of two or three trips down there. My thoughts are:

-Ford Interceptor = needs to be built ASAP. Very nice design and a lot of potential.

-Jaguar C-XF - apparently already moved, not at the show for the public to see. Very disappointed by this, espically seeing how Jag needs a positive rep booster right now.

-Lexus IS-F - My favorite car from the show, and the blue that is shown in photos is amazing in person. Very excited to see/drive one of these.

-The Mercedes exhibit has ice all around it, including up the wall, which is designed to showcase their 4Matic AWD system. Clever.

-New Focus - simply hideous. Interior is nice, exterior is awful. Need to bring the Euro Focus over pronto.

-CTS - very, very well executed. A great blend of luxury and sport. My only complaint is that the rear end could have been designed a little more, not much change from the current model IMO.

-Camaro - very nicely done, the color scheme really set this car off.

That is all. Pictures will come soon, and more later in the week. If anyone has requests, post them here and I will try to honor them.

You can't tell by the picture but those wheels are carbon fiber. That car was bad ass!!

mp3wannabe said:
i was just looking at the rims on ths ft-hs. those are cool as hell.
122798676-S.jpg

I just got back from the show. I will post all my pictures tomorrow. It was the first time for me to go up there and I do have to say that it was outstanding. Let me say this...the girls they had at the Dodge displays were hot as hell.

meinp5 said:
You can't tell by the picture but those wheels are carbon fiber. That car was bad ass!!

I've got a better pic that shows the weave, I'll upload it for ya.

Attachments

• P1130064.JPG
    P1130064.JPG
    551.2 KB · Views: 95
  • P1130063.JPG
    P1130063.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 87
I would buy this Chinese beauty in a second simply because of the model badge on the side there...It would only take a few thousand times to say it correctly!

Latest posts

Back