Official 2016 Mazda CX 9 Site

Mashing in that 3rd row takes up a lot of rear seat room.
Looking for room more like that in the now defunct Venza.

We'll have to wait and see for final production specs and the ability to check it out yourself. The 2nd row slid all the way back may provide some decent space.

We'll have to wait and see for final production specs and the ability to check it out yourself. The 2nd row slid all the way back may provide some decent space.

good catch, maybe second row middle passenger will get a flat floor after all !!

I only use the 3rd row if I'm in a bind and need to transport more than 5 passengers, my 3rd row is usually down for cargo,

looking at the cutaway photo, the second row tracks do go pretty far back (green arrows)

the 2nd row "hump" stops short of the where the second row section starts (red arrow) and starts to slope down.

but looks like the second row can go back even further based on the tracks, if that's the case the second row will be flat or

at least the 2nd row middle passenger will be comfortable and have a sloped foot rest like an airplane seat :

sidenote: IMHO, Mazda did a really nice job on the interior, freaking nice, even better than some luxury class SUV's ,
any guesses what the new top of the line "signature trim" (more expensive than GT trim)
will cost with the nappa leather and real rosewood ? hope it doesn't hit the $42K mark, that's close the Acura/Lexus territory

Last edited:
any guesses what the new top of the line "signature trim" (more expensive than GT trim)
will cost with the nappa leather and real rosewood ? hope it doesn't hit the $42K mark, that's close the Acura/Lexus territory

You can bet it will be well beyond $42k since the top trim lines of its competitors (Pilot, Highlander, Durango, Acadia, Traverse, Explorer) get real close to $50k (or above).

Last edited:
You can bet it will be well beyond $42k since the top trim lines of its competitors (Pilot, Highlander, Durango, Acadia, Traverse, Explorer) get real close to $50k (or above).

+1.

MSRP of my '12 GT AWD was over $40,000. Signature trim MSRP won't even be close to $42,000. Compare a $47k Pilot vs a $47k MDX--feature for feature, I'll take the Pilot any day; an MDX with nav and tech (features a Pilot Elite has) will be $10,000 more than the Pilot Elite. Anyone getting an MDX or RX that costs "close" to what the Honda or Toyota costs is only buying for the badge.

Well--the Venza sold in horrible numbers, which is why it's defunct. There's just not enough demand for the 2 row midsized cross over; especially for Mazda, which doesn't sell in high numbers to begin with.

wow, Mazda was practically giving away the CX-9 last year, brand new '15 Grand Touring AWD was heavily discounted to around $32K and Touring AWD was selling for $29K in my area.

Last edited:
Anyone getting an MDX or RX that costs "close" to what the Honda or Toyota costs is only buying for the badge.

This statement might hold true for the RX, but the MDX still has a torque-vectoring SH-AWD that the Pilot does not currently have, if one cared for that feature. They may be mechanically the same and is probably a software update away from being the same vehicle, but that slick torque-vectoring SH-AWD system on the MDX is the ace up its sleeve. If given a choice between a similar-cost base 2016 MDX with SH-AWD and AcuraWatch Plus, and a 2016 Pilot Elite AWD, I'd take the MDX anyday just because of that SH-AWD.

Actually, the 2016 Pilot DOES have a tuned version of SH-AWD. However, even if it is in the mid-upper $40K range, that the new CX-9 Signature will be the new class leader and still a great value!
This statement might hold true for the RX, but the MDX still has a torque-vectoring SH-AWD that the Pilot does not currently have, if one cared for that feature. They may be mechanically the same and is probably a software update away from being the same vehicle, but that slick torque-vectoring SH-AWD system on the MDX is the ace up its sleeve. If given a choice between a similar-cost base 2016 MDX with SH-AWD and AcuraWatch Plus, and a 2016 Pilot Elite AWD, I'd take the MDX anyday just because of that SH-AWD.

Poked at the new CX9 last Monday at the Chicago auto show. There is definitely a large center hump in the back seat now. Also instead of the seats sliding on in-floor rails, Now the base of the seats are set in place, and the seat cushions slide forward. Kinda iffy if thats going to be better, or a downgrade from the current design.

In person the front is a big improvement. On our 13-15's all the front body lines dont really flow where they meet up around the headlights. Its kind a cluster-****. Its something that has really bothered me with our's since buying it. Im happy to say Mazda fixed all that, and the front looks great. I even like the chrome "Goatee" strip they added.

Personally i cant wait till these hit the dealers so i can get a true hands on experience with one.

Back