Off-roading CX-5

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I will likely save the crazy stuff for the Wrangler but thinking about this winch option in case the unexpected happens.

http://www.lewiswinch.com/The_Lewis_Winch.html

I was going to pick up a new Stihl or Husqvarna this year anyway. I guess even crazier is the aluminum front skid plate. That would be relatively easy to make and wouldn't incur much of a weight penalty.

Since a winch is a "just in case" accessory it shouldn't get much use. A come-along works just fine and there is not the need to carry fuel, oil, chainsaw powerhead and mess with fueling, starting etc. It's more important to have versatile and appropriate anchors and cable extensions than a powered winch. A come-along is ultra reliable. It's even more important to drive intelligently enough that a winch is not likely to be used.

If your stuck on ice that gadget might be OK. Maybe. If your stuck in mud it will do little good. It's rated for 4k for single line dead pull. This is near the weight of an empty CX 5. 8k with snatch block. I'd feel better with two snatch blocks to avoid max capacity of the device. This means any available tree /stump /boulder would need to be very close. Per the website max capacity reached with very specific chainsaw type.

You would be better off with a genuine Highlift. It's a Jack and a come along. No 2 stroke fuel or oil to spill either.

Back