OEM vs Aftermarket Backup Camera

I didn't see anything that talked about the image quality of the OEM backup camera, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

I'm looking to get a CX5 as soon as I can save enough for a reasonable down payment. I'd like to upgrade the stereo to something better. I hesitate to use the term "audiophile" because it carries a lot of unintended baggage, but I love music and would like to get the most out of it without breaking the bank.

So, a couple questions:

1. Aside from the configuration screens, is there any good reason to keep the original head unit and just add an amp and better speakers?

2. Lets say I replace the head unit. Am I better off buying the OEM backup camera for ridiculous sums of money or are there aftermarket cameras of comparable quality?

I have the OEM camera on my Mazda, used with a replacement (Kenwood) radio. In comparison, on my other car I have a cheap (Chinese) aftermarket backup camera setup.

In daytime, the Mazda has the slight edge in quality, but the two are largely comparable. At nighttime, the Mazda does a much better job in low-light, less grainy and with more detail/contrast. Also the Mazda 'distance bars' are setup for the actual camera position, vs. a generic setup for the aftermarket one (particularly the outside edge bars).

Having said all that, given you can pick up a decent cheapy camera for $20 or so, vs. $180?? (or whatever) the OEM camera costs, I would personally live with the cheapy.

Back