Odd Engine Swap Question

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Ok here is the setup; my friend Andy wrecked his 88 Mazda 323. A relative of mine has offered up an exchange - Andy gets a low mileage Capri XR2 (basically a turbo 323 GTX drivetrain with a droptop and no AWD) in exchange for us dropping Andy's good 323 (his car only had 75000 miles when it was wrecked) drivetrain into another n/a Capri this guy has.

Mazda 323 = SOHC 1.6 liter B6
Mercury Capri XR2 (the one he is giving to us) = DOHC 1.6 liter B6T
Mercury Capri = DOHC 1.6 liter B6

My manin hangup about doing this swap is that we'd be putting a SOHC B6 into a DOHC based car. The owner says he doesn't care about going from two cams to one, but I would think the swap would be difficult because the electronics, etc would be unmatchable. What do you all think?

would you be swapping ecu's? unless you get another form of EMS or swap ecu's I'm pretty sure it wont work.

vindication said:
would you be swapping ecu's? unless you get another form of EMS or swap ecu's I'm pretty sure it wont work.

we can't swap ECUs as the donor car has a manual trans and the recieving car is ATX. the only reason i even ask is because on other cars i have worked on, DOHC ecus will run SOHC engines from the same car, etc.

ohh, I didn't know that the ecu's for a sohc would run a dohc or vice-versa. I would figure since only one cam is controlling intake and exhaust valves instead of 2. Plus 1 extra cam gear. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in

whats wrong with the DOHC capri motor that is getting ripped out for the SOHC mazda motor?

Focus said:
Can you swap the head ?

That was my initial intention but now I am being told there might be a difference in the blocks themselves, which i find very hard to believe but am being told there is

D323 said:
whats wrong with the DOHC capri motor that is getting ripped out for the SOHC mazda motor?

Trying to figure that out right now...

B6

1.6 L B6 - 1597 cc (78x83.6 mm) - This was a bored-out version of the B3. The 8-valve SOHC B6 was found in the 1985-1989 Mazda 323, the 1988-1990 Mercury Tracer, and the 1990-1992 Mazda Protege. The B6 produced 82 hp (61 kW).

In Japan and Australia a fuel-injected version called the B6F was available.

An unusual DOHC 16-valve head was later added for the 1992-1993 Mazda MX-3 and dubbed the B6-2E

i don't believe there was a B6 in first gen Proteges, only a SOHC or DOHC BP 1.8. also, the SOHC we have is fuel injected from the wrecked 88 323

good information though, thanks focus

The B6 SOHC 8v was in the 323 hatchback from 90-94. There are some later ones that are SOHC 16v for CA emissions.

There was even a B8-me (the 1.8L SOHC motor found in USDM DX's and SE's) in the 323 LX's. There were a limited production number, and they came with a sunroof and some even mention power accessories.

There were B6's put in proteges, but that was mainly overseas in the Europe market. They even came with wierd stuff like the B3 that Charles mentioned, and some even had carburated instead of being EFI.

Swaping a DOHC head onto a SOHC block is a bad idea. This has been discussed on clubprotege.com time and time again. Turns out that it yeilds stupid low compression, even too low for big turbo applications.

Back