obx header discoloring

maffewday

i installed my obx 2.0l headers last summer and now it looks really ugly because it has discolored and gone bluish blackish. is there anyone out there that has found a way to stop the bluing of the headers? the only thing i can think of is to polish them up and spray a ceramic high temp clear coat on them. has anyone tried that?

jet hot coating. the headers will discolor due to the heat. its hard to avoid that happening.

Call around to your local powder coaters. One of them will probably also do ceramic coatings. That's what I did. And in my case, doing it locally was $15 cheaper than Jet-Hot and I didn't have to pay shipping to and from- so probably $40-$50 cheaper overall. Jet-Hot is just a name brand. They buy the ceramic coating from the same places everyone else buys it from.

obx_header.JPG

obx_header-ceramic_coated%20(2).JPG

engine_bay_11-17-07.JPG

It almost looks spray painted

That's because when I got there to pick it up, it hadn't gone through the poilsher yet. We put it in for about 20 minutes, but I had to go.

My engine bay is far from a show quality engine bay and I didn't get it coated for looks.

I had mine ceramic coated in black before I even put it on and was only about 100.00 bucks for it to be done and I am very happy with the results.

i thought about jethot but that has to be expensive. how much better is that then the vht flame proof paint.

Don't skimp out. The paint will flake in a week's time. $100 isn't that much. Plus, the ceramic coating actually serves a purpose, it's not jsut for looks. It keeps the heat in.

I Just Found Someone Close By That Will Do The Ceramic Coating And It Sounds Like A Pretty Good Deal. Will The Ceramic Coating Keep The Heat In The Headers? If So Will That Eliminate The Cel? Because The Code That Came Up When I Installed Them Was Not Hot Enough heatTo Heat Catalyst. Or Should I Just Leave My Cel Eliminator In?

do you have any pics of your black headers?

Yes I do here they are. I had them coat them inside and outside.and ever since I put them on they look just the same as the day I put them on.

This pic is a pic of the header beside the oem Exhaust manifold I dont know about the HP gain but I see a huge weight reduction between the two.
100_1603.jpg

This pic is of the OEM installed without the top heat shield.
100_1602.jpg

This last pic is of the header installed on my car I can still go outside today and it would look the same without bein discolored at all.
100_1606.jpg

Latest posts

Back