O2 Sensor Problems Again!

Chris_S

Has anyone had their O2 Sensor replaced yet? The car will hesitate under accelleration. Almost as if someone is tapping the brake. This happens in all gears. If you give it very light throttle it wont do it. I had the sensor replaced the first time in December. It started doing it again the other day. Also have the P2006 code for the intake runner. It is at the dealership now waiting for the part AGAIN. This time they are saying they are back ordered. Should have the part by the 19th! The first time this happend it took my dealership and Mazda techs. over a week to figure out what was even wrong with it!

The tech also mentioned a possible design flaw in the oxygen sensor. He said that at startup it sends alot of voltage to the sensor to warm it up quick. In cold weather this causes condensation to form and crack the sensor.

Do I have lemon law protection? I bought the car used in December with 4500 miles from a Saturn dealership in Virginia. I live in Michigan. So taxes and title were all done for Michigan. Two questions..

(1) Is it covered under lemon law if it is used but still under manufactures warranty?

(2) Michigan or Virginia Lemon Law?

Chris_S said:
Has anyone had their O2 Sensor replaced yet? The car will hesitate under accelleration. Almost as if someone is tapping the brake. This happens in all gears. If you give it very light throttle it wont do it. I had the sensor replaced the first time in December. It started doing it again the other day. Also have the P2006 code for the intake runner. It is at the dealership now waiting for the part AGAIN. This time they are saying they are back ordered. Should have the part by the 19th! The first time this happend it took my dealership and Mazda techs. over a week to figure out what was even wrong with it!

The tech also mentioned a possible design flaw in the oxygen sensor. He said that at startup it sends alot of voltage to the sensor to warm it up quick. In cold weather this causes condensation to form and crack the sensor.

Do I have lemon law protection? I bought the car used in December with 4500 miles from a Saturn dealership in Virginia. I live in Michigan. So taxes and title were all done for Michigan. Two questions..

(1) Is it covered under lemon law if it is used but still under manufactures warranty?

do you have the latest ECU and TCU flash yet?

You may consider looking into a non oem o2 sensor. They are cheaper and may work better. I know you probably want the warranty to do all the work, but if you want to keep your car running without issure it may be a viable alterative.

Chris_S said:

The o2 sensor is a basic sensor. It resides in the exhaust of all modern cars.

I have learned that most need changing every 50,000 miles or so.
Only get them from the dealer of your car. Aftermarket ones do not function properly and you car will run like crap with one not made by your cars manufacturer.

Ususally just unplug the connector and using the proper deep socket, unscrew it and screw the new one in.

If you are still having problems, I would take it to aother shop and get a second opinion as I suspect is not an O2 sensor but something else and the morons (killit) at your dealer are too dumb to properly identify and correct it.

:cool:

hellcat said:
You may consider looking into a non oem o2 sensor. They are cheaper and may work better. I know you probably want the warranty to do all the work, but if you want to keep your car running without issure it may be a viable alterative.

Don't ever do this...

I have tested a number on a number of different cars and engines and all failed to run up to specs and by simply putting in a factory one the ran normal again.

Spend the extra $20 and save yourself a lot of headaches and frustration that your car is running ruff like a dog.

Avoid aftermarket sensors....(five-0) (five-0)

The upper o2 sensor on my protege 5 failed, and I replaced it with an aftermarket and it worked fine. The oem replacement was $250.00. The aftermarket was $65.00. Use your own judgement.

I used to have a 91 Honda CRX and the best Sensor was made from Bosch it was the only one that would hold under nitrous so its up to you try it out what’s the worst case scenario ,you void warranty lol they are not helping you much any ways lol

Alpha Wolf said:
The o2 sensor is a basic sensor. It resides in the exhaust of all modern cars.

I have learned that most need changing every 50,000 miles or so.
Only get them from the dealer of your car. Aftermarket ones do not function properly and you car will run like crap with one not made by your cars manufacturer.

Ususally just unplug the connector and using the proper deep socket, unscrew it and screw the new one in.

If you are still having problems, I would take it to aother shop and get a second opinion as I suspect is not an O2 sensor but something else and the morons (killit) at your dealer are too dumb to properly identify and correct it.

:cool:

I have replaced O2 sensors in older cars before. I also understand their function. That was until the first time it was replaced. I was told by Mazda that the sensor that is used in the CX-7 is a new type of sensor that does more than just check the emission levels. (uhm) Maybe that is why it is causing a bucking/hesitation under acceleration? What I think is really weird is why it does not throw a check engine light? Even "OBD I" cars do that. Something that causes the car to drive so poorly and no light? Business as usual. Except for the fact that it drives like crap! How can you have a bad O2 senor and no check engine light? That is a part of the OBD II standard.

I too think that something else is causing it to foul the sensor. When I mentioned it to the dealership that is when I got the speal about the sensor cracking from condensation. That is why I put the word out in the forum. If these sensors are defective many other people in cold climates would be experiencing the same thing.

Can't imagine someone thinking about trying to use the lemon law for a sensor problem. Give the service shop some time for crap sakes. I do hope you are getting a loaner while they are checking your vehicle out.

yes i must say, Honda's o2 sensors are close to 300bucks. keeping it factory is the smart way to go

the sensors are almost a sure bet for being replaced if u keep ur car over 3 years or do alotta driving

TheMAN said:
ok, ignore my question and be fixated on the O2 sensor

Yes I have the latest PCM updates and the latest and greatest gas cap. Actually I am not fixated on the O2 sensor. I suspect that something else is killing it. What that is who knows??? It doesnt even trip the MIL light.

Can't imagine someone thinking about trying to use the lemon law for a sensor problem. Give the service shop some time for crap sakes. I do hope you are getting a loaner while they are checking your vehicle out.

I would be more than happy if they could fix it right. Lets just say that I am somewhat sceptical right now. Remember this is the second sensor in about 1500 miles. New sensor wont be available until Feb 26th. 2 weeks for an oxygen sensor! Pretty sad. (headshake

I also have the P2006 intake runner problem too. They did the "repair" on that. We all know what that means. The code will be back in a matter of days or a few weeks. Then Mazda USA will give the go ahead to replace the part which is also back ordered because they can't replace them fast enough. Good job on the cold weather testing prior to release. (headshake

This is my family car. I think that if you were in my shoes you would start looking into all of your options too. I have been pretty patient so far. Lets just say that my wife is becoming pretty disappointed. It would be nice to go more than a few weeks without getting a call at work saying that something is wrong with her car again. (bang)

Providing they get the part on the 26th, that will be a total of three weeks they have had my wifes car in the last two months...

Last edited:
I also have the P2006 intake runner problem too. They did the "repair" on that. We all know what that means. The code will be back in a matter of days or a few weeks. Then Mazda USA will give the go ahead to replace the part which is also back ordered because they can't replace them fast enough. Good job on the cold weather testing prior to release. (headshake

I couldnt agree more with this quote. I feel like this vehicle needed more time in real cold weather. because from dec through now, if you look, there is an influx of cold weather related problems. mine included.

mikey1981 said:
I feel like this vehicle needed more time in real cold weather. because from dec through now, if you look, there is an influx of cold weather related problems. mine included.

add me too, my IMRC valve problem just "popped out" when the weather was on the low 30's here in TX..

Greetings all. New on here. Chris_S, I'm having the identical set of problems right down to when the problems occurred. My first O2 sensor went bad in December once the weather got cold here in OH. The second one went bad this past Monday. Needless to say the car has been at the dealer since then. The dealer was non-commital when I spoke to them Friday regading when the new sensor might arrive -- "hopefully sometime next week". I'm baffled as well that it doesn't trip the CEL light when the sensor goes bad -- the car runs horribly AND it's emissions related! I spoke to the tech that is working on my car and he said they've checked everything that leads to the sensor and everything checks out ok (for what that's worth).

I also have the intake runner problem, which the part just arrived for on Friday (after three weeks). In addition -- I haven't seen this reported yet -- my Stability Control warning light comes on and stays on after cold starts on mornings under approx 10deg. After my first trip of the day it will generally go back out, but chalk up another "cold weather bug". The dealer says Mazda is supposedly working on a fix for this, also.

I share your frustrations. Great car, but we've been disappointed in the reliability to say the least.

Back