Nuub Q: Spark Plugs

DragonSpeed

:
2003.5 MSP Sunlight Silver
I just bought a set of 4 NGK BKR7E-11 (#1283). First off, are these the right ones for my msp? And second, uhh, where do they go? I removed plastic engine cover, thinking they would be under there. There are 4 rubber grommits that go down, i pull one up thinking its a plug, and umm, it doesnt look like it at all. I'm a total noob when it comes to this s***, so try not to laugh to hard. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

lol, you were looking in the right spot man, the plugs are down in that hole, just use a plug socket and an extension and they will come out no problem

I believe those are the right plugs, I am sure someone else will confirm

Yep, those are the ones...I have a set. BUT, I never put them in because I read they would do more harm than good unless I was upping the boost, and I'm not...yet!

ehh....n00bs

BKR7E-11's are ok.
they will work....had them on my car for over 5 months.
BUT, they are not extended reach like the ones that come stock on the MSP.
my idle was more rough with BKR7E-11's than with stock plugs.

the extended reach plugs that come on MSP are ZFR6F.
i am using one heat range colder which are ZFR7F.....they are extended reach as well.

idle is much smoother, plus colder plugs allow one to run higher boost with decreased chance of detonation.

Last edited:
NGK ZFR7F are actually a closer match to the stock MSP plugs only cooper and colder. The BKR7e-11 will fit and work but they are not extended reach like the stock plugs. I have run both and really didn't notice much of a difference between the two. Some people claimed the car runs better for them with the extened reach ones. Personally I'd run the BKR7e for a while and just switch the next time you buy plugs. Which with a turbo car probably won't be very long. :) You'll need a long extension (over 8") to reach the plugs. Put a small amount of anti-seize on the plug threads will make it easier to get them out when you change them next time. Also check the gap it should be too big. Try and go for around .030-.032 gap if your mildly upping the boost.

Dr.Sound said:
ehh....n00bs

BKR7E-11's are ok.
they will work....had them on my car for over 5 months.
BUT, they are not extended reach like the ones that come stock on the MSP.
my idle was more rough with BKR7E-11's than with stock plugs.

the extended reach plugs that come on MSP are ZFR6F.
i am using one heat range colder which are ZFR7F.....they are extended reach as well.

idle is much smoother, plus colder plugs allow one to run higher boost with decreased chance of detonation.

will the ZFR7F work on a na protege? or should i just stick with the BKR7Es?

The ZFR7f are really just insurance against detonation while boosting. They don't add any performance. In a N/A car they would just foul up on you really fast because they would be too cold.

Just reread your question. Are you running the BKR7e now? I would think these would be too cold for a N/A car. What heat range did it come with stock?
JCell said:
will the ZFR7F work on a na protege? or should i just stick with the BKR7Es?

Yay-Boost said:
Just reread your question. Are you running the BKR7e now? I would think these would be too cold for a N/A car. What heat range did it come with stock?

ooo no no no no, i'm still on stock plugs, i'm buying plugs soon though, and i'm a total noob when it comes to spark plugs, i really just want the best i can get for the car, and it sounded like those were good....

If you want a better spark plug for your car about the only option would be to go with an iradium plug. They are supposed to have a 'better' spark. They are also very expensive!!!! They will only give you a minor improvement. Probably best to spend your money on other performance parts. Fresh new plugs can make a nice difference. Better to buy cheaper plugs more often than really expensive plugs you keep for a long time. IMHO
JCell said:
ooo no no no no, i'm still on stock plugs, i'm buying plugs soon though, and i'm a total noob when it comes to spark plugs, i really just want the best i can get for the car, and it sounded like those were good....

i didnt regapmy zfr6f 11 s.. its about 0.45 ??
im at 9 psi with cai and Perrin FMIC

i bet u went like that when u saw the Perrin FMIC (wow) ... its just a joke, i PLAN on getting it

Yay-Boost said:
If you want a better spark plug for your car about the only option would be to go with an iradium plug. They are supposed to have a 'better' spark. They are also very expensive!!!! They will only give you a minor improvement. Probably best to spend your money on other performance parts. Fresh new plugs can make a nice difference. Better to buy cheaper plugs more often than really expensive plugs you keep for a long time. IMHO

I was thinking the same thing, thanks bud

I am using the NGK iridiums in mine. Don't know the exact number, I think NGK ZFR6FIX. Same as stock except iridium instead of copper. I want to say the car runs way better but I really couldn't tell. I do think they run better than the copper plugs though. They really aren't expensive. Got them for about $5.50 each. Actually cheaper than the stock plugs. The Denso's are around $12 each...so I went with NGK.

Allen-

LOL I did too you watchin me or something!
mazdaspdprotege said:
i bet u went like that when u saw the Perrin FMIC (wow) ... its just a joke, i PLAN on getting it

Last edited:
$5.50 each not bad. I might try these for winter when I turn the boost down. That way I can say I've tried every spark plug known to man :)
I'm Allen said:
I am using the NGK iridiums in mine. Don't know the exact number, I think NGK ZFR6FIX. Same as stock except iridium instead of copper. I want to say the car runs way better but I really couldn't tell. I do think they run better than the copper plugs though. They really aren't expensive. Got them for about $5.50 each. Actually cheaper than the stock plugs. The Denso's are around $12 each...so I went with NGK.

Allen-

BEST "BANG FOR THE BUCK" PERFORMANCE
Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost Gauge (20 psi boost/30 in. Hg vacuum): $42.99 from Jegs
Autometer dual gauge pod (full A-pillar): $56.99 from Jegs
Set of 4 NGK BKR7E spark plugs: $8.00
JoeP MBC @ 9 psi: $45.00

if they're just "OK" then why list them on here? (scratch)

That post is frickin old. There have been a few post about removing that from the modders post. JoeP put the BKR7E in his car and because he knows his s**** every went with them. Later on someone figured out they wern't the right plug.

Gothmael said:
BEST "BANG FOR THE BUCK" PERFORMANCE
Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost Gauge (20 psi boost/30 in. Hg vacuum): $42.99 from Jegs
Autometer dual gauge pod (full A-pillar): $56.99 from Jegs
Set of 4 NGK BKR7E spark plugs: $8.00
JoeP MBC @ 9 psi: $45.00

if they're just "OK" then why list them on here? (scratch)

Yay-Boost said:
That post is frickin old. There have been a few post about removing that from the modders post. JoeP put the BKR7E in his car and because he knows his s**** every went with them. Later on someone figured out they wern't the right plug.
(encourage

Back