Not your typical door lock question

Arcticshade

Contributor
:
2017 CX5 GT AWD w/ PP & 2016.5 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech and Nav
Hello all,

I was hoping to enlist your help in figuring what is going on with my auto lock feature. If it helps a little background: the CX-5 in question in a 2017 GT bought this December. Doesn't have a thousand miles on it yet and this problem just started happening over the last 3-4 days.

On to the problem. The car is locked and I am walking up to the door with the fob in my pocket. I press the key-less entry button and the door unlocks all the doors. (Not sure if this is relevant but I have the setting for ALL the doors to unlock with one touch). Here is where things go weird: within 10 seconds of opening the driver's side door the door beeps and the lights flash like it is getting ready to lock. Then immediately re-locks all the doors as soon as the door closes. It has never did this before the last couple of days. And yes, it does this every time and can be reproduced at will.

The best way to describe it is like the car is treating the door opening like the walk away feature - it beeps at me like it is ready to arm and then when the door closes it thinks I walked away from the car and locks. Any idea what went wrong? Did I accidentally hit a door lock setting? I didn't see anything in the instruction manual. (Or maybe I missed it) Or am I just going crazy and this is normal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Is your significant other inside with the other key snickering? Sounds like the kind of thing I would do! Seriously though I’d probably reset the lock settings and if it persists let the dealer look at it.

Is your significant other inside with the other key snickering? Sounds like the kind of thing I would do! Seriously though I’d probably reset the lock settings and if it persists let the dealer look at it.

No, it is just me driving. There is no other passenger. And yes, this afternoon I plan on doing the factory reset for lock settings. Otherwise, got to take a day off to go the dealer.

There is an auto door re lock feature that will lock the door if the doors are not opened within a set time. This is in case you forget that you unlocked it. Go into the settings menu and set it for a longer time. 20 or 30 seconds would be better.

There is an auto door re lock feature that will lock the door if the doors are not opened within a set time. This is in case you forget that you unlocked it. Go into the settings menu and set it for a longer time. 20 or 30 seconds would be better.

Thank you for the response. I thought the same when I checked it is set for 60 seconds as the auto re-lock. In my initial post, this was about 10 seconds AFTER opening the door.

If you do have to take it to the dealer you should ask if they have a shuttle. All the dealers in my area do it. You basically drop it off and they will drop you off at work and pick you up.

If you do have to take it to the dealer you should ask if they have a shuttle. All the dealers in my area do it. You basically drop it off and they will drop you off at work and pick you up.

My hope was that maybe someone had something similar (or me just being an idiot and accidentally hitting a setting or something) before I had to go to the dealer. But if that is my only option... c'est la vie.

Check the lock/unlock feature regarding transmission position/car speed etc. If you set it to lock while in park, it should lock the doors after you enter. I set mine to unlock in park and lock when in gear so it locks as soon as I put it in gear and unlock in park, I think this is safe as you have to put it in park when a passenger is getting in so there is no chance of the car moving when someone is entering the car.

Check the lock/unlock feature regarding transmission position/car speed etc. If you set it to lock while in park, it should lock the doors after you enter. I set mine to unlock in park and lock when in gear so it locks as soon as I put it in gear and unlock in park, I think this is safe as you have to put it in park when a passenger is getting in so there is no chance of the car moving when someone is entering the car.

You know, that is a very good thought. Thank you for that. I really appreciate it.

I'd try three easy things before going to the dealer.
1- try your other fob,
2- change the door lock setting back to the factory default,
3- change the battery in the fob.

Hello all,

I was hoping to enlist your help in figuring what is going on with my auto lock feature. If it helps a little background: the CX-5 in question in a 2017 GT bought this December. Doesn't have a thousand miles on it yet and this problem just started happening over the last 3-4 days.

On to the problem. The car is locked and I am walking up to the door with the fob in my pocket. I press the key-less entry button and the door unlocks all the doors. (Not sure if this is relevant but I have the setting for ALL the doors to unlock with one touch). Here is where things go weird: within 10 seconds of opening the driver's side door the door beeps and the lights flash like it is getting ready to lock. Then immediately re-locks all the doors as soon as the door closes. It has never did this before the last couple of days. And yes, it does this every time and can be reproduced at will.

The best way to describe it is like the car is treating the door opening like the walk away feature - it beeps at me like it is ready to arm and then when the door closes it thinks I walked away from the car and locks. Any idea what went wrong? Did I accidentally hit a door lock setting? I didn't see anything in the instruction manual. (Or maybe I missed it) Or am I just going crazy and this is normal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You have set it to "Lock all" in "Park". As soon as you enter and close the door - the gear's in park. So the vehicle thinks it needs to lock it and so it does exactly that. Ideal situation will be unlock@Park, lock@Drive. GxIbm is correct.

Weird.
I'm assuming my 2017 M6 has the same programming as the CX-5.
My doors don't lock again until I'm in drive, and moving at at least 10mph.
I'll check my settings later today, just out of curiosity.

I believe that’s how mine are as side from the auto lock after some time if you don’t open the door.

Just a quick update:

One day after the original post it appears it has reverted back to the normal preset of locking the doors after driving away. In the end, I did not have to do a factory reset nor change the auto lock settings. I guess the old "turn it off and then back on again" works!

But thank you all for your replies. If it happens again I will take the above advice and do a factory reset/change the auto lock settings.

Weird.
I'm assuming my 2017 M6 has the same programming as the CX-5.
My doors don't lock again until I'm in drive, and moving at at least 10mph.
I'll check my settings later today, just out of curiosity.

I have mine set to lock as soon as I shift out of Park. I like how quiet the operation is compared to many vehicles where you hear a loud clunk.

Latest posts

Back