Not sure where to post this : AC delete project

tercel89

I didn't see a proper area to put this in so I'll try it here. I have a 2000 Protege with the 1.6 engine. It's air conditioner has lasted 14 years and now it is done. This is just a little project car for me and no longer the family car so I want to remove all the A.C. related things since it's just dead weight and gets in the way when working on it under the hood.
My question is this : To anyone who has did this , what size belt do I use to replace the normal one with ? I ask this because the AC and power-steering pump are on the same belt. When I remove my AC compressor I'll need a shorter belt.
Anyone information or help on this matter is appreciated .

Hi, did you ever sort this out? I am considering the same thing. I also looked into getting a pulley that you can put in place of your AC compressor, but it works, so I would rather just leave everything in place until I can deal with the larger issue of replacing the AC clutch.

Tighten up your power steering pump in the 1/2 way tight position of the slider (with the belt off). Get a string and wrap the string by hand around the P/S pulley and the Crank pulley. Stretch the string out until it meets the cut end of the string and mark the string or hold it in your hand at the point it meets. Then just measure the length of the string. A local parts store should he able to lookup be belts as long as they know the length and amount of grooves.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Get a belt and try it, if its too long ask for the shorter belt, and likewise if its too short. I had to do this with a VW GTI where I had fabricated a custom alternator bracket in order to run Webber Carbs.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back