Noobie to the P5 and unfortunately its a A/T :whoomp whoomp:

SinistersList

:
Red 02 Mazda P5 A/T
Hi and hello, I've recently aquired a new taste and that would be the P5. I have never really paid any attention to the Mazda family except for really the Rotary's. I'm a simple person that like simple and very clean things and what I mean by clean it a nice and neat set-up something that is actually thought out and very well planned. I love to drift and have only done it a few times myself, I have been threw a fair amount of cars that I have liked such as a Honda Ex with a b16b2 cammed and cranked. A 2002 Ford Mustang, which honestly wasn't even mine I was using it for a bit from my sister and boy did I hate it. A 1986 Chevy Suburban C10 1500. Even a 1986.5 Toyota Supra. But now I am currently having a child and I need something for everyone to fit in and be in safely and comfortably, thus my run into with the Mazda P5. My girlfriend has had this car for she says 3 years, but from the looks of it in older pictures it looks like 5 years. It needs work done to it such as body work to repair rust spots, of coarse paint, recently installed KYB struts. I think the Trans might give if I really tried to do any modding. And I recently installed a new radiator but this car still takes about 20 minutes to reach idel temperature and I live in Texas. So I was just wondering if anyone might have some advice to give me I like this little car very fun to play with and it's actually alot better I feel then most 4 cylinders out there, with the great tank size and fuel consumption and mileage. Hope to see everyone and hear from everyone and anyone not only here in Houston too but also the active members of this forum.

And I recently installed a new radiator but this car still takes about 20 minutes to reach idel temperature and I live in Texas. So I was just wondering if anyone might have some advice to give me.

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

Did you replace it when you put in the new rad ?

Welcome, and may I say good taste if you chose a P5 ;)

+1 on the thermostat, they take a hit and could be considered common replacement item anyways.

If your transmission ever lets go, you can get them a dime a dozen. In terms of labour, that is up to you though.

I have not tried the thermostat but I will be doing just about a xomplete over haul seeing as h ow the ABS and E-Brake lights are on and again it does have rust already... Is this caused by a Northern things such as the salt on the roads due to the snow and the weather changes see as I figured its more of an actual seasons thing rather then just being burnt to death? Thanks for the welcomes.

I have not tried the thermostat but I will be doing just about a xomplete over haul seeing as h ow the ABS and E-Brake lights are on and again it does have rust already... Is this caused by a Northern things such as the salt on the roads due to the snow and the weather changes see as I figured its more of an actual seasons thing rather then just being burnt to death? Thanks for the welcomes.

Salt.

That and in combination with slush, water and dirt that clings to the metal of the car... Go look at cars from areas with no salt, absolutely no rust.

I figured, I was looking at alot of P5's here and there aren't any really here with rust but there aren't alot of them here in the yards.

Just a quick question.... Does anyone else's P5 cut out at 100mph? I just tried to push mine last night and it prettymuch stops at 100 even. Just wondering.

Well then it looks like I have some work to do because I swear these cut out at 125 with the govern and everything in plaxe to not cause an major malfunctions from happeneing. But it being an A/T shouldnt have anything to do with how fast it should go. I was just wondering if its what you call "Normal". But I do plan on adding a lot of work to this so I hope to get Mazfa of the year soon lol.

... seeing as h ow the ABS and E-Brake lights are on ...

You can trouble shoot the brakes yourself,... there's a good chance you need a new wheel sensor.

Maybe clear the code and see if it comes back.

BrakesTroublecodes_zpsa1fdfb6b.jpg

BrakesTroublecodes2_zps559406c1.jpg

What are some good replacement tires I can put on my P5 without making anything malfunction or sacrificing performance. i currently have 195/55/16's but my speedo adds a mph per tire.

My speedo was reading 1 or 2 mph fast with the stock size tires.

205-55/16's are a little bigger and it reads perfect now, according to my GPS. That size is abundant and cheap. You won't have any rubbing issues with them on stock wheels.

Back