Noob with a Protege5 looking for recommendations on proper maintenance

devanray

:
2002 Protege5
Hey all,
Just got a 2002 Protege5 manual and am used to driving a 77 Chevy C-10 stepside pickup, so just a little difference in vehicles. I used to have an '82 RX-7 back in '97 and it was the funnest car to drive, so far the Protege5 is catching up. Well, here are the questions that I have.

1) What should I look into doing to ensure the vehicle is running tip top shape, things I can do at home. Don't have a dime to spend on labor but can put out a few bucks on parts.
2)Any parts I should clean in the air intake section of things, I don't know anything about this motor?
3)Got a squeek in my front wheel, I hear it during braking but the brakes are fine, any known issues? I've read that sometimes the guide pins need lubbed, is this a Mazda issue?
4) Also not used to a stick, when should I be shifting? I seem to get slow response from 1st to 2nd @ 3500rpm but @ 4500 she cooks, I like fast but I also like good MPG.
5) I want this beauty to be around for a while and would love to get advice on how to keep her in great shape.

Thanks all for your time and I can't wait to get my hands dirty! I think I'm falling in love! No, really, this is a great car and I want to make sure I'm treating her with the attention that she deserves. I am not looking to 'trick' it out or add turbo or anything like that, just want her to run as well as she can.

Thanks again and also thanks for posting to other people's questions, it has been a huge help so far and I hope that someday I'll know enough to be an asset on this site.

I'll get pics up of a few things I've done so far, not much yet. I love interior mods, painted the center console black and the window trims as well. Looks great.

Also looking for any clubs in the Raleigh NC area and looking for stock tires, have some low profile ones now and would prefer the silver stock wheels.

Thanks all!!

Devan

Attachments

• IMG_0300small.jpg
    IMG_0300small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122
If you run the piss out of your car you'll still get twice the mileage you got in that truck... Check the intake tube for cracks the guide pins are just issues on all cars with disk brakes Grease them make sure squeler pins aren't hitting on the brake pad. It's been awhile since I've driven the Mazda but 3k is about right for shifting

Sometimes I will suddenly have an urge to pull over and get gas, even though I'm still running at 3/4 tank. Habits.
The intake tube looks good, I've read there are a few devices within that area that can be pulled and cleaned (ECM or something like that), sometimes smoothing out idle. I'll have to check the guide pins and will take a peek at the squeler pins, figure out what those are first. I'm hoping that is what the noise is coming from.
Thanks tweety.

haha i've gotten 30 miles out of E, you'll be fine. Theres a workshop manual posted as a sticky in the P5 section, you should def consult that as much as possible... It's like the bible of owning this car. Even though I don't know all the technical terms used in it the pictures alone of where things go are priceless and it gives you all the torque specs for bolts as well as some trouble shooting that let me fix my thermostat by myself.

Welcome!

Welcome Devan!

Here's the scoop on the '02 Protege5. The cons...it has no power and 5th gear is too short. The pros...it's good on gas, handles good, looks good. :) Good thing you aren't looking at making it go "fast." All the research I've done makes it seem like it's a huge waste of time to put on bolt-on mods unless it's a turbo. N/A tuning doesn't get you squat on this motor, and the only "easy" swap (K family V6) is illegal at least in CA because it's back dated to the 1990's. Even then, it's less power than a small turbo setup.

I made my peace with the fact that the car gods meant this to be a slow car...so instead, I'm modding for gas mileage and just cleaning the car up. I still like driving it even if I can't accelerate for squat. :) Enjoy! Regular unleaded is $4.49 here. :( My average so far combined is 26.5mpg, and I can just about get 30 even on the highway @ 65.

Yeah, it wont be a fast car, but thats okay. Speed is replaced with fun. I like the fact that if you have a manual you can drive like a madman, all shiftin' like crazy, and not speed. Its kinda fun to be able to shift four times really aggressively and still only be going like 45. :)

Yeah, it wont be a fast car, but thats okay. Speed is replaced with fun. I like the fact that if you have a manual you can drive like a madman, all shiftin' like crazy, and not speed. Its kinda fun to be able to shift four times really aggressively and still only be going like 45. :)

Not after you've been in a fast car...

^werd.

But yeah - check the torque on the rear wiper arm bolt (lift the cover).
Keep the PCV clean.
Use seafoam full treatment ~30K miles.
If the engine mounts have not been changed - they are due.
Keep the sun roof slider tracks clean and lubed.
Clean EGR by squirting carb cleaner or brake cleaner in the square hole at 6 o clock (use a straw to reach it ;) ) Let it soak 15" and then run until smoke clears.

HatchKitten:

30mpg after my 8mpg Chevy would be a dream! When I got my rig I got an engine code that centered around my cooling, started to check things out and found that there wasn't a thermostat installed! Luckily, it seems, all thermostats go in the same, doesn't matter what car. ... I've actually printed that thing out! I'm hoping to use it to increase MPG and make up for the loss of a tree! Oh yeah, I want your bumper guard, looks really nice with your plasti-dipped rear lower plastic swoopy thingy by the exhaust tip. Can you tell I'm a professional! I used plasti-dip on my console and my window trim, take a look. console.jpg
passanger side.jpg

SoCal:

I thought $3.65 was bad, not even summer yet. Gonna get ugly. Not sure what you mean by 5th gear being short. What are some of your mpg saving mods?

Jackie:

I know what you mean by it being fun to drive! I suppose its okay to get off the line slow if you can take a sharp corner doing 65mph while sipping on a coffee and changing my music selection. Brings me back to the RX-7.... ahhhhh... I like feeling like I'm going fast without having to actually go fast. I suppose its my age.

P-Funk:

Great list, adding it and will hit the motor mounts with a quickness. The sunroof when I first had it was very loud when open and I had to push up on the air deflector a bit to shut it up. I put my cig-lighter up there to prop it up and forgot about it, closing the roof with it still wedged in there. I didn't realize it unti lthe next time I opened the roof and 'plop' out falls the lighter, I was freaked! But low and behold, no more noise, I love this car!

Thanks everyone, My list is growing but so far my budget is looking pretty good. Certainly going to focus on the better MPG mods and get up to date on her cleanings. Keep throwing stuff at me, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back