Nokian WRG3, Continental Extreme Contact tires

buddastrat

:
2015 CX5
Would like to hear from anyone with experience with these on the CX5. Maybe there's another "All Weather" tire that can be suggested? Can't get Hankook 4s in the US.

I want a better tire for upcoming winter weather, considering a winter tire but.. main concerns are for highway driving. Not so much deep snow, as the roads are cleared quickly. Much of our winter is just dry, yet frigid cold, and not always snow. Can be slushy/ice and then much of the time very dry in frigid weather. Want something that is very versatile and have good traction in those conditions for highway.

Of course the main benefit is not having to swap out tires, but did read that the WGR3s could possibly be better than winter tires on frigid but dry roads. Consumer Reports says the WGR3 outperforms some winter tires in the snow. So any input, good/bad on these or others, is great.

Last edited:
One liner on Nokian WRG3

This is my second winter on WRG3 . While a lot better than all seasons in slush and snow they do slip, if your are not careful - Unlike Nokian Hakkas.
If you drive in dry and frigid conditions , they are awesome. Very low rolling resistance ( just as describe by Nokian marketing). Tread warranty - 55k miles only if you keeping on shuffling them every 7k miles by a certified dealer.

My take - My WRG3's are showing signs wear ,, just NOT bad as WRG2's on my previous car which lasted about 20k miles.

Would like to hear from anyone with experience with these on the CX5. Maybe there's another "All Weather" tire that can be suggested? Can't get Hankook 4s in the US.

I want a better tire for upcoming winter weather, considering a winter tire but.. main concerns are for highway driving. Not so much deep snow, as the roads are cleared quickly. Much of our winter is just dry, yet frigid cold, and not always snow. Can be slushy/ice and then much of the time very dry in frigid weather. Want something that is very versatile and have good traction in those conditions for highway.

Of course the main benefit is not having to swap out tires, but did read that the WGR3s could possibly be better than winter tires on frigid but dry roads. Consumer Reports says the WGR3 outperforms some winter tires in the snow. So any input, good/bad on these or others, is great.

This is my second winter on WRG3 . While a lot better than all seasons in slush and snow they do slip, if your are not careful - Unlike Nokian Hakkas.
If you drive in dry and frigid conditions , they are awesome. Very low rolling resistance ( just as describe by Nokian marketing). Tread warranty - 55k miles only if you keeping on shuffling them every 7k miles by a certified dealer.

My take - My WRG3's are showing signs wear ,, just NOT bad as WRG2's on my previous car which lasted about 20k miles.

Thank you for this. I did read WRG2s were better traction. Was that your experience? But those are no longer available anyhow so I guess it doesn't matter. But 20K sucks for new tires.

Back