Noise in the belts area.

danianzueto

:
Protege 5
Hi everybody!

I'm new over here and come with a lot of questions! hope I can learn a lot from all of you!

I have a strange noise in the belts section of the engine, I thought the noise was because need replacmente of belts and I did it but still have the noise

I recorded a video to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyv0lBQa7Sk

Any ideas of this noise?

PS. when I acelerate the engine the noise desapear! It is only when the car is stoped in neutral, it have a sequencial gearbox.

hmm did you try and turn the A/C on and off? I may be the clutch going - if so, it will leave with the A/C running. If not that, you might have to pull the belts one by one and retest briefly. If still there with both off, it's probably a timing belt pulley.

hmm did you try and turn the A/C on and off? I may be the clutch going - if so, it will leave with the A/C running. If not that, you might have to pull the belts one by one and retest briefly. If still there with both off, it's probably a timing belt pulley.

Thanks, I forgot to say that The timing belt is new, and before that I have this noise…

i changed my powersteering belt and alt and it squeals too. and they are new. maybe i need to loosen them up and tighten them up again i guess need to do soon. it will make the noise then stop, then sometimes it dont idk its annoying

I can't hear the video, but is it a chirping noise? like a bird? or a loud squeal?

On days that it is very damp out and cold, I get a belt chirp occasionally and once the car warms up it goes away. Even with 2 new belts, and just did the timing belt it still does it. The only other thiing it could be would be a pulley. The best way to check that (except water pump pulley) is to take the powersteering / AC belt off and start the car and see if the squeal goes away. You can still drive it like this, but the steering will be really stiff.. It's what I did with mine to narrow it down to a belt.

I can't hear the video, but is it a chirping noise? like a bird? or a loud squeal?

On days that it is very damp out and cold, I get a belt chirp occasionally and once the car warms up it goes away. Even with 2 new belts, and just did the timing belt it still does it. The only other thiing it could be would be a pulley. The best way to check that (except water pump pulley) is to take the powersteering / AC belt off and start the car and see if the squeal goes away. You can still drive it like this, but the steering will be really stiff.. It's what I did with mine to narrow it down to a belt.

Yes the noise is like a bird, but it is always instead the engine is working for a lot of time.
I'm going to try this! thanks!!

Tighten your accessory belts. New belts stretch and loosen with use. So it could be the belts just need retightened. Or you could be like me and have a dent or two... Or three in a pulley

Tighten your accessory belts. New belts stretch and loosen with use. So it could be the belts just need retightened. Or you could be like me and have a dent or two... Or three in a pulley

However, if your belts have already been tightened to much..they can squeak also or even break. Just a heads up!

Back