No New Mazda2 for the United States

I'm not surprised by that at all. I recently went to the international autoshow and the 2 was no where to be found. Nor on their pamphlet of cars. I was saddened and confused on why that was since they had all the other 2015 models but I guess my suspicions were correct :(.

I walked into a dealer last week trying to buy a new Mazda 2, but they told me that they have basically no profit margin on it, and with the current incentives (part of which is footed by the dealer), they end up losing money on each sale. As a result, they don't really order any Mazda 2's, so there aren't even that many on any dealer lot to begin with. HQ in Japan probably see the low amount of dealers ordering Mazda2s and figure it wasn't worth the cost.
I am very surprised by that part of the Oct/Nov incentives ($2.5k - $3k off) were footed by dealership. I understood that there is very little margin on a car as basic as the 2, but forcing dealerships to pay for a manufacturer promotional program just doesn't make sense.

Canada has had a string of Canadian-exclusive models that the US doesn't receive since our vehicle preferences are generally 1 scale smaller. Because of this, I would still expect the new 2 to make it to Canadian shores, especially when it is built in Mexico (think NAFTA and major tax/duty discounts). Furthermore, while the 3 is definitely the reigning sales champ for Mazda Canada, from all the local cars that I have seen, the 2 actually seems to be quite a strong seller as well.

As to whether the car will be US-bound, I really don't know what to believe, but I would not be surprised by either outcome. With Mazda already contracted to build the next Yaris for Toyota, the required output should already be sufficient to justify the Mexico factory and tooling.

The sales manager told me the dealer is required to contribute $500 out of that incentive.

The mazda canada site actually has the new mazda 2 on it, so it might be available in Canada but not the states? Kind of like the acura csx.

As I said before, my dealership said they are receiving the new 2. So I'm sure they'll come to the U.S., at least in limited quantities.

These are the same questions i have. They create a very nice, more aggressive, more premium Mazda 2 that'll easily compete or potentially out sell the Ford Fiesta, Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper and they won't bring it hear? Plus it's built in Mexico? It makes no sense to me.

I've following up on @mazdaus's comment by asking them if they are sure but they have not responded. I'm thinking this dude might be ill informed.

First of all, great post and discussion but I sincerely hope this is not true! Why would Mazda create a factory to build the new 2 right next door to the USA and not sell it there...They usually build cars outside Japan in or near the market they sell them in, right?

Mazda WANTS to sell A LOT more cars and they're not going to do it by removing models from markets.

It's entirely possible the person who responded to you via IG was mistaken and or ill informed....At least I hope so because I'd love to see the new 2 in North America!

Give that a shot on the Mazda Canada page and see if they answer about the availability. You may just need to drive across the border to buy a Mazda 2.

Derrick

It's a bit ridiculous that it might come to that isn't it? Sometimes i feel like the US is treated like a "3rd world country" or worst, since "3rd world countries" will be getting it. :)

Give that a shot on the Mazda Canada page and see if they answer about the availability. You may just need to drive across the border to buy a Mazda 2.

Derrick

At first I wanted to rip my work desk off the wall and punch out my monitor when I read this!!!(pissed)

Jk, though I did yell "WHAT?!" out loud to a very empty office.

Now that I've cooled down, I think we really ought to wait until mid-late Fall 2015 before we jump to conclusions. If the new 2 does indeed come to the US, then we can petition for that clownshoe on Instagram to be fired =)

From my perspective and my area, the greater Chicagoland area, its hard to imagine them cutting the 2 from the US market. I see and friendly-honk at fellow 2s all the time on the streets of Chicago. It really does a great job at filling a niche of not needing the best options but still wanting a quality vehicle to get around in. They're popular city cars too, but I don't need to list all the reasons why, as we're all very familiar with it's great benefits.

Yeah, but the person said the new one wasn't coming at all. That press release directly from Mazda is much more informative. They'll just announce it closer to when they plan to begin selling it here.

Now I'm just mad that I'm stuck with my current-gen 2. lol No regrets, though. I had to buy something new, and I'm happy.

This is entirely my own theory, but I am guessing that out of all the cars that Mazda builds for NA consumption, the Demio (aka Mazda2) is the best-selling car in the Japanese Domestic Market. As such, during the car's redesign, JDM market preferences played a huge part in shaping how the redesigned Demio comes out. Taller small cars are quite common (usually in the sub-600cc Kei cars segment) in Japan, and some of those preferences have probably spilled over to the 2016 Mazda2 / Demio -- the taller and roomier interior was probably one of these.

IMO, the biggest stepback for the 2016 Mazda2 compared to the current (3rd gen DE) car is the tire size selection. The current car runs on 185/55/15. While this size is no longer as common as it was, the size-equivalent performance alternatives -- namely the 195/50/15, 205/50/15, and 225/45/15 -- are available in pretty much all high performance models from the various tire manufacturers.

On the other hand, the 2016 Mazda2 has a tire size of 185/65/15 or 185/60/16. There are pretty much no performance alternatives in these sizes or size-equivalent options. As a matter of fact, horrible tire size selection seems to have plagued Mazda in their most current iteration of SkyActiv cars. Both the SkyActiv Mazda3 and Mazda6 use oddball tire sizes that have few high performance tire options available...

Sigh... (notcool)

Both of these factors weighed heavily on deciding to keep my '13. It's getting heavier, taller and although it jumps up to a 16" wheel, it's more than likely going to be a 16x6" rim...Yuck. High performance (read autox) Tire options are non existent, and the car with its new high CG style body, will definitely end up on the SCCA stock exclusion list at it fails the rollover risk litmus test (following in the base Fiesta footsteps this year. ) The current gen Mazda 2 barely passes the CG test, mostly due to its low weight.

I agree with jasyatz. One thing that makes my 14 good at autox is that it is at the limit of stability by that CG test. But, I've slid to a stop sideways before, and she didn't try to tip over.

Mazda did the same with the Miata, it kept getting heavier over the years. Many car makers keep doing the same thing. And we can't afford to get a Lotus.

Oh, how nice. Congrats Canada.

The US has becoming the country where the vehicle industry says, "Naaaaaaah, we're not sending our hatchback there. We'll skip the US all together. They don't want it. And you know what? Let's not even tell them it's not coming. Let's **** with them until our Instagram guy tells them randomly."

I dislike very much the secretive nature of the vehicle industry. No official announced either way. Only some unknown dude running Mazda's Instagram page says it's not coming to the US. Cool.

Looks like you can get a 2016 Mazda 2.. In Canada.

Link

Last edited:
Oh, how nice. Congrats Canada.

The US has becoming the country where the vehicle industry says, "Naaaaaaah, we're not sending our hatchback there. We'll skip the US all together. They don't want it. And you know what? Let's not even tell them it's not coming. Let's **** with them until our Instagram guy tells them randomly."

I dislike very much the secretive nature of the vehicle industry. No official announced either way. Only some unknown dude running Mazda's Instagram page says it's not coming to the US. Cool.

Well watch Canada get the CX-5 Diesel after I got the 2.5 now lol

Back