no more standing in rain while filling up :)

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
for those who live in self-serve gas states with no gas handle clips that holds the fill up nozzle open

NY state is one of those states that removes those clip so drivers have to stand out in the rain or snow while filling up

big rain storm this morning and had to fill up can a gas station with no canopy, then I realized the GAS CAP with tether
fits exactly into the nozzle and held it while filling up, so I just sat in the car nice and dry until the gas meter was close
to the 15 gallon mark then got out before the automatic stop engaged.....

just one of those useless info (ohsnap!).......LOL cheers!

Last edited:
for those who live in self-serve gas states with no gas handle clips that holds the fill up nozzle open

NY state is one of those states that removes those clip so drivers have to stand out in the rain or snow while filling up

big rain storm this morning and had to fill up can a gas station with no canopy, then I realized the oil cap with tether
fits exactly into the nozzle and held it while filling up, so I just sat in the car nice and dry until the gas meter was close
to the 15 gallon mark then got out before the automatic stop engaged.....

just one of those useless info (ohsnap!).......LOL cheers!

Or...just use the slots in the gas nozzle to keep it flowing until auto shut off.

Or...just use the slots in the gas nozzle to keep it flowing until auto shut off.

yeah, when I visit other states there is a slot and clip to hold the gas handle open until auto shutoff

but I guess it must be a NY thing, regulations prohibits them, no slots and clip here in NY.......

have to stand there and hold it by hand.

Nanny state NY, keeping you safe as usual.

Been using this trick for years. When I had a car with a tether that wouldn't allow it to reach I kept a little piece of wood tucked behind the gas door that would do the trick.

I was questioning why you would go through the effort of popping your hood, removing the oil cap, to do this. Then realized the pic showed the Gas cap, and figured you just worded it wrong. lol

I was questioning why you would go through the effort of popping your hood, removing the oil cap, to do this. Then realized the pic showed the Gas cap, and figured you just worded it wrong. lol

(hand) LOL, yeah, I meant GAS CAP , I'll edit it now LOL

It non-ny states it seems to vary from station to station, and sometimes from pump to pump at a single station.

Regardless, isn't getting back into the car a huge danger? You can build up a charge and cause an explosion when you remove the nossel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It non-ny states it seems to vary from station to station, and sometimes from pump to pump at a single station.

Regardless, isn't getting back into the car a huge danger? You can build up a charge and cause an explosion when you remove the nossel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, people don't care about this. Do you know how often I see people not only do this, but also leave the engine running while filling up?

I can't remember when was the last time I had to fill up at a station without a canopy...

but I live in PA, on the NJ border, we all get gas in NJ. not only are the gas taxes like 25 cents lower per gal than PA, it's also the LAW that you're not allowed to pump your own gas! so it's a win-win.

Back