No Low end power!!

ddifulio

:
2004 Mazda RX-8
I bought a 2004 RX-8 a few months ago, and I love it, but it was an automatic which i really didn't love but the price was great 9500 with 45k on the back end needs a little tlc, but other than that its a great car, and I love the way it looks. But this weekend there was a test and tune at Este (which is a drag strip here in Syracuse) And I looked up to see 1/4 mile times. So I thought i would be running, like 15's or 16's. But instead I was running 17.5 on 1/4 mile!!! Ugh my reaction time wasn't the greatest but. I had no power out of the gate. Is there anyone that can help me get more power in the lower rpms. Any Suggestions on what to buy? Without having to buy a turbo or supercharger. Don't have the money for that. But getting Cold Air and Maybe the pulley kit? Will I see improvment? Just looking for the most bang for my buck thats safe for the car.

you should have bought a car with more torque...it doesn't help that the automatics had less hp than the manuals.

yeah, sorry that doesn't help you...you could get some cams? hahahaha

automatic rx-8s are, no offense, notoriously slow. they have less than a hundred horsepower at the crank and even less put down at the wheels. the automatic version was, until this past year, significantly detuned to reduce load and potential wear on the transmission. an intake and pulley kit might give you some more power, but its not going to be mind blowing. a turbo or supercharger really is the only way to shave any amount of time off the quarter mile times.

automatic rx-8s are, no offense, notoriously slow. they have less than a hundred horsepower at the crank and even less put down at the wheels. the automatic version was, until this past year, significantly detuned to reduce load and potential wear on the transmission. an intake and pulley kit might give you some more power, but its not going to be mind blowing. a turbo or supercharger really is the only way to shave any amount of time off the quarter mile times.

I think you mean "less than two hundred horsepower at the crank."

Yeah i didn't do enough homework when i bought the car, there was another kid looking @ the car at the same time because of the price. so I had to move a little faster than i would have liked. I love the car and its great on the highway just cruising but anywhere else its really slow.

spit nitrous, lol,.,.,.,..cannot really help with a automatic man,.,.,.take the spare tire out and reduce some weight,.,..,but not a big improvement though,.,.,.by the way where is the drag strip in cuse?

Put it up for sale, and start your search for a 6spd MT. (drive2)

right off rt 31 called este. It was only 12 to get in and 15 to run as many time as you want on a full 1/4 you get time slips and everything.

well that was my thought was nitrous, but i don't want to break the car. I love the mazda's but now i'm seeing why this one was so cheap. so it looks like the verdict is to just find a six speed manual, but then the problem will be finding someone to buy my car.

yeah i did, but it feels more like what i wrote initially ;)

I understand the disconnect you get with the A/T. There are going to be people who have to drive a A/T for various reasons. I ordered it because of two back surgeries, it was the only way I could have(drive) my seventh RX. I drove it home worried about the rough ride(I could hardly take it). It's five years later and I know I will have to make that same decision again soon on the RX-10(with 16X). It's going to be hard but I think I now can go back to stick again.

spit nitrous, lol,.,.,.,..cannot really help with a automatic man,.,.,.take the spare tire out and reduce some weight,.,..,but not a big improvement though,.,.,.by the way where is the drag strip in cuse?

Rx-8's dont come with spare tires :) sports cars dont have spare tire

you can get it with an optional spare tire, that is, if you like going from some to zero trunk space

Rx-8's dont come with spare tires :) sports cars dont have spare tire

Depends on country of issue.

Spare tyres are standard equipment for the Aussie market

In regards to your 4AT version issues.

HKS-twin power ignition amplifier............... (more spark, better burn, more power)
Knightsports extractors + exhaust system... (no explaination required)
HKS intake pod.......................................(proven the greatest power gain of all the choices)
Knightsports (4-beat) ECU tune upgrade.... (re-maps the fuel/IGN tune for max power)

6MT differential (upgrade from 4.1 to 4.3)
Castrol Transmax-Z (best synthetic transmission oil available)

On the last point, the trans oil. Typically the AT sucks 30% power from the engine. The hydraulic properties on this oil are so good, you only lose 25% effectively gaining 5% power for FREE.

I have a 4AT version & are doing the same

REgards

Back