No Heat...HELP!!

Fraze

:
2003 Protege 5
murphys law....so I get in my car this morning and after about 30 min of driving I realize theres NO HEAT! (its -16 cel) It just blows cool air. ANy ideas what this is? I was doing some google searches and have seen everything from thermostat to head gaskets to heater core? I just wanted to have an idea before I take it in...

take out the glove box and check the cables behind it...make sure theyer all hooked up correctly

1. check coolant level.
2. If coolant level is ok, check and make sure you car is in fact heating up properly and staying at temp. if it is not heating up or taking too long to heat up it is most likely your thermostat
3. If you have coolant and proper temp on your gauge it could either be an air bubble in your heater core or something plugging your heater core or radiator. check your upper and lower radiator hoses and make sure that if there is a temp difference it isnt something like 150 inlet and rediculously cold on the outlet. same theory goes for your heater hoses.
4. check for flow of coolant, pull your radiator cap and turn on your car and see if you can see coolant flowing thru it. if not you have a line plugged somewhere.
..sorry a lot of info, hopefully you can follow my garbled hints and good luck. questions feel free to pm me, i get a lot of this concern at work and tho i work on fords the same principles apply to all cars.

Last edited:
peajay said:
1. check coolant level.
2. If coolant level is ok, check and make sure you car is in fact heating up properly and staying at temp. if it is not heating up or taking too long to heat up it is most likely your thermostat
3. If you have coolant and proper temp on your gauge it could either be an air bubble in your heater core or something plugging your heater core or radiator. check your upper and lower radiator hoses and make sure that if there is a temp difference it isnt something like 150 inlet and rediculously cold on the outlet. same theory goes for your heater hoses.
4. check for flow of coolant, pull your radiator cap and turn on your car and see if you can see coolant flowing thru it. if not you have a line plugged somewhere.
..sorry a lot of info, hopefully you can follow my garbled hints and good luck. questions feel free to pm me, i get a lot of this concern at work and tho i work on fords the same principles apply to all cars.

Thanks for all the info! Will head out now and see if any of the above are a factor.

Thanks again!!

Re:

Well, the coolant reserve is fine, the rad coolant is fine. I started the car and coolant was flowing and hoses were warm. The temp gauge in the car went to half after about 20 min of driving. I havent checked the cables behind the glove box yet, so it could be that. but everything else seems to be ok (from what I can tell) ..

I'm not sure how much a heater core flush is bit I think its time I got 1 as well along with ever other purge or flush I can think of, defenitly will be getting a trans flush next month

Re:

No fogging or unusual smells. Its very wierd. Everything seems perfectly fine...theres just no heat?!! Im taking it to the garage tomorrow...fingers crossed.

You did check the cables under the dash right??? That would be the first thing to check...

LilPixieMama75 said:
Check this thread out...Lots of helpful information and pictures...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123659288

And really check those cables. I can attest to it. They may seem to be hooked up right, but even if they are the least bit out of line...No heat. LOL!

Agreed! I had the same problem with my heat one day. Brought it to the stealership and the guy was like "we just plugged the harnesses behind the dash back in". Thank god it was free!

Re:

I did pull the glove box and everything that has a connection is connected. I read the thread included above and the "white box" in the lower left was all conected. Unless I am missing something it all looked good. I wish it was that...but it must be something else. Going to Garage tomorrow AM...I'll post what they say tomorrow....thanks again for all the replies!!

...Im going out right now to check the cables behind the glove box again just to be sure!!

check the black clips on the cable. the black clips hold the cable to a plastic piece on the dash. without the clip in place the cable will not hold enough tension to pull and push the heat flap open and closed

I would at least manually open the heater "valve" thingy that the cable is connected to and see if you get heat...I would completely rule out this as an option before taking it to a shop...Unless it's on warrantee...

Move the dial while you look at the cables. I just bought my MP3, and the cable for the blend door had come off its attachment . Everything "looked" connected, but the sheath was not secured, so the cable wouldn't move properly. I still haven't fixed it cause I've been lazy. It's been cold here for a while though, so I just leave it on Hot and adjust only the fan speed.

^^ Same thing I was thining, there is a sharp clip that is supposed to hold the cable in place, without it the dial will move, but not operate the flap (Dampner)

once the car is warmed up, check the upper radiator hose. If the hose is easy to squeze and the coolant in the reservior is sloshing around while you are pulsing the hose, then it is your radiator cap. I just went thru this the past couple days messing with the Isuzu. Replaced the thermostat to no avail. Flushed it twice. Finally got some serious heat this afternoon after replacing the $7.77 Radiator cap. If the hose is solid then start feeling the hoses going in and out of the firewall to heater core. If one is warm, and the other is cool, then you core is clogged. May God have mercy on your soul for trying to get to it... if they are both warm then the clip everybody is talking about is probably the cuplrit.

Last edited:
Brian MP5T said:
^^ Same thing I was thining, there is a sharp clip that is supposed to hold the cable in place, without it the dial will move, but not operate the flap (Dampner)

My heat hasn't been working this year. I went out to the car, and checked for this , and sure enough, the clip had come loose (again). This had happened to me a coupled years back too. Now my heat blows like a champ!! Check the clip.

Re:

Update: Thank you everyone! Damn, forums are an excellent resource! After going in behind the glove box for a second time with my flashlight...low and behold it was NOT securely connected. Heat is again blowing toasty warm!! An irritating/frustrating thing, but a sigh of relief to to know that it was something simple and not engine or otherwise critical!

Thanks again everyone!!
Fraze

Back