No cruise and no horn

ASU_MP5

:
Mazda 2002 Protege 5
Okay, sounds odd and maybe its a coincidence but I'm thinking not so much.
My cruise isn't working and neither is my horn. Checked all fuses. Also, YES, the cruise button is in the ON position. Since both would have wiring thru the steering column I'm wondering if they share a ground or something that might be worn, torn or basically fubarred?

No other issues. All lights, switches, etc. working fine. Only the horn and cruise are non-op. Ideas? Suggestions?

humm... weird.

Don't know what it is but hopefully somebody here will know.

have you messed with the steering wheel lately? was it removed? was the car in an accident?

If you have checked (and replaced) the fuses it sounds like there is a problem in the wiring in the steering column. Maybe something got worn though or got knocked loose recently.

My cruise control just stopped working for about a week and a half. It did the same thing last year when the temperature dropped. It would work for the most part, but sometimes it just seemed sluggish to actually engage. Now I did install a new stereo about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't working at all after that. Then all of a sudden last night it started working again. I set the cruise and the light on the dash came on, but when I got off the accelerator it slowed down about 8 mph before the cruise actually engaged and then it pulled back up to the 70 mph which is what I was doing when I hit the button to set it. Anybody else had anything similar?

Okay, sounds odd and maybe its a coincidence but I'm thinking not so much.
My cruise isn't working and neither is my horn. Checked all fuses. Also, YES, the cruise button is in the ON position. Since both would have wiring thru the steering column I'm wondering if they share a ground or something that might be worn, torn or basically fubarred?

Or hopefully just a loose connection. See for instance:

http://protege5.ugly.net/01-20.PDF

Poke around under the dash and look for a plug from the steering column that might be loose. If it isn't something simple like that, have a mechanic look at it. Unless you're comfortable removing the airbag (which I wouldn't be). If you are ok with handling explosive devices, follow the directions in the PDF above and figure out where the wiring goes wrong.

yes, since he haven't touched s***, it's indicative that the wiring is faulty or the clock spring broke...

More info

still no horn and no cruise but I do have two more small pieces of info ...
1) When I push the crusie button I hear a realy close so juice is obviously getting to the switch
2) I ran the on-board diagnostics and the fault it keeps returning is Transaxle range switch. It returns this code, and only this code, no matter which button is pushed.

Truth is I have no diea if this makes sense or not. With no horn and all the fuses being good I still think the clockspring is bad but this fault code has me puzzled.

BTW, this is my daughter's car and she is antsy to get it back. Short of taking it to a Mazda shop and getting ass-reamed on service charges I'm not sure if it worth dismantling the column to replace the lockspring.
Opinions?

One more thing, according to the service manul (on-line: ugly.net) it looks like taking the airbag out is no big deal as long as you let the circuit bleed off the electrical charge. It can't be that easy, is it?

Still no luck

Status: I replaced the clockspring. It was easy as anything. Hooked the battery back up, started the car and the horn worked - but no cruise. Then I adjusted the sterring wheel and POOF no horn !!!

So I disconnected the battery again. Hooked it back up and the horn works again! Adjust the steering wheel and no horn.

So it looks like the wiring or connectors along the steering wheel are the real culprit.

Its colder than anything here right now (7 this morning) so working on it is a pain.

Latest

Warmer, did some looking again.

Horn seems to be working again.
No idea for how long.

Cruise still not working.
Using the on-board diagnostic it says the transaxle range switch is defective.
But when I check the switch it seems to be working fine except for the cruise.

Its going tohave to go in. damn.
I trust those guys as far as I can throw'em.

Will let you know what they come up with.

Latest posts

Back