no headlights, no turn signals, no horn, no cruise control... I Need HELP

Billyd123

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I recently purchased a 2002 Protege5. The car runs and drives great but the headlights, turn signals, horn, and cruise don't work. I really don't care about the horn and cruise. I need headlights and turn signals. My tail lights and brake lights work. The previous owner tried to install his head lights and hacked the wiring up pretty bad. I have pieced the headlight wiring back together and still no headlights?? As for the turn signals.. They don't do anything, I can use the turn signal switch or the hazard button I get nothing. I get power to the turn signal relay when use turn signal left or right but no power to relay when hazard button depressed. Arrows in dash do not light up. I have went over the wiring diagram and chased wires for the last couple days. The only thing I can find wrong is the ground wires coming out of the harness that runs from under dash to the fusebox under the hood are grounded to the driver side of the engine bay just beside where the harness comes thru the driver side fender instead of running down to the ground point under the driver headlight. (4or5 black wires). I am at a loss, its driving me crazy that I can't figure it out. I know I am over looking something but I can't figure out what.
..also I know where there is a harness from a protege 4 door(from fuse box to under dash) I know that the protege sedan has one dual element bulb for each side and the protege5 has a separate bulb for low and hi but other than the headlights would it switch out and work? Since Im not getting power thru the harness I think that might be part of it? Idk?
Any ideas would help

PS. My blinker fluid is full

check the headlight fuses in the fuse box under the hood and as for the turn signals also check the fuses and if those are ok then u need a turn signal flasher relay

So anything wired through the steering column... is your airbag warning light on? Did everything work when you got the car? Maybe there is more hacked up/melted/disconnected wiring yet to be discovered...

All the fuses are good. Checked and double checked. I purchased a used turn signal relay still nothing.

So anything wired through the steering column... is your airbag warning light on? Did everything work when you got the car? Maybe there is more hacked up/melted/disconnected wiring yet to be discovered...

Air bag light is on. No the lights and signals didn't work when I got it. Tail lights work just no headlights, turn signals, horn, cruise. What does the air bag light have to do with it??

Air bag light is on. No the lights and signals didn't work when I got it. Tail lights work just no headlights, turn signals, horn, cruise. What does the air bag light have to do with it??

Air bag wire, Horn and cruise switches run through the clock spring, and then join the column wiring along with the turn signals and wiper control lines.... Do your wipers work?

Just sounds like everything wired on the column is not working...

Last edited:
Air bag wire, Horn and cruise switches run through the clock spring, and then join the column wiring along with the turn signals and wiper control lines.... Do your wipers work?

Wipers work on all settings front and rear. When I turn on my headlight switch I have tail lights and front marker lights just no headlights

I just think there was too much not working on the column for it to be relays or fuses... I'm leaning towards wiring. (Of course, just a guess from all the way over here.)

Problem solved... I pulled the front harnesa that runs from the fuse box to under the dash. Cjecked all the wires ine by one. There were nine bad wires 2 of them were broke clean in two. The other 7 looked good but tested bad. I fixed all 9 bad wires, replaced the harness and bam... now I have turn signals, hazards and headlights and my cooling fan relay works now. Check engine light went off, air bag light still on. Still no horn or cruise but o well. I got headlights and turn signals. Thanks for all the help

i was gonna say the same thing, i would be willing to bet its clock spring

i was gonna say the same thing, i would be willing to bet its clock spring

Yeah he found the cut wires ... now he probably has a bad clock spring too ;)

if the horn sounds fine when locking the car... I would replace the clock spring and hope for the best for horn and cruise.

Problem solved... I pulled the front harnesa that runs from the fuse box to under the dash. Cjecked all the wires ine by one. There were nine bad wires 2 of them were broke clean in two. The other 7 looked good but tested bad. I fixed all 9 bad wires, replaced the harness and bam... now I have turn signals, hazards and headlights and my cooling fan relay works now. Check engine light went off, air bag light still on. Still no horn or cruise but o well. I got headlights and turn signals. Thanks for all the help

You're welcome! Clock spring connects horn, cruise and airbag... so you likely have a bad one too if all the wires are fixed.

Back