No auto-off headlights on 2010 Sport (contrary to mazdausa.com)!

<grin> Yeah, guess many on here have been buying cars much longer than I have. I'm 36, but didn't buy a car until after college. My first was an Audi A4 1.8T (manual) I bought used in 2000. LOVED that car, sooo fun to drive. Since then a Camry SE (also manual) and finally our beloved Prius, which was declared a total loss by our insurance after an accident last month.

My fault for assuming others are old farts like me (48) who have been around and inside cars since the 60's.

BTW, I too love the Audi A4/S4 sedan and wagon.

Hope things work out well for you.

I test drove a 2010 Sport the other night, and the salesman said it does not have auto-off, and that it beeps if you leave the lights on.

I'm thinking that two hours, some wire, an inline fuse holder and a relay will take care of that shortfall.

I'm just wondering, who decides what features are to be included for MAZDA5s destined for USA and Canada?

- Why do we have these features (auto-light control, sliding door lock assist for example), here in Canada and you don't have them there in the US?

Is it the dealer 'removing this and that feature' to make the price attractive?

In our MAZDA5GT, it was sitting in the dealer lot configured for 'local environment'. Fog lights, block heater, lock assists, remote starter, DRLs, auto-light, rainsensing wipers).

Last edited:
Skyhawk, DRLs is mandatory, rain sensing wipers and auto-light is standard equipment, and fog lights and close assist are standard on the GT. :) Block heater and remote starter would be the dealer installed accessories. The American 5 Grand Touring has something the Canadian 5 GT doesn't have: HIDs.

Car companies will always want to push people into the highest model.

One of the constants I endured as a car salesman in the late 80's/early 90's (Ford) was a continuous change in both standard equipment and optional features across the model range throughout the model year.

Even customer orders we had hefty deposits on would often arrive at the dealership with these running changes. Fortunately, most changes improved on the model, however, there were at least two occasions that caused me to lose sales-both on
F-150's. Lack of availability of limited slip axles and tachometers for a short time had trucks sent without them.

Sometimes, s*** happens beyond the control and understanding of us mere mortals.

Last edited:
I recently jumped into my 5 only to have the gauge needles pulsating on their own before I started the car??? It wouldn't start - dead battery (thus the pulsating gauge needles I suppose...). Lights were left on - don't know if the kids were playing where they shouldn't have or an honest driver mistake. Back in business after a jump:)

Auto-off would have saved me. I too would desire DRLs for safety's sake. Have many added this feature (I have an 08 Sport)? I see the 2 links to the aftermarket options in this thread. Are there others options? Does anyone have experience with these or other DRL retrofits?

I cant say for certain but it seems that there are only 2 different BCM's One for DRL cars and one for all others. If this is the case, the computer is there to control the lights but not the sensor for turning them on and off and I would imagine the auto off would work too when in auto mode.

I think its possible to get the rain sensor and wire it in which would enable you to get the auto lights and wipers too. What I'm really curious about is if you could false the signal from the rain sensor and rewire the existing stalk so that the headlight setting is the new "auto" and then, would it turn on the headlights like the normal switch would but auto off like the auto light setting would?

Auto-off would have saved me. I too would desire DRLs for safety's sake. Have many added this feature (I have an 08 Sport)? I see the 2 links to the aftermarket options in this thread. Are there others options? Does anyone have experience with these or other DRL retrofits?[/QUOTE]

I recently added DRLs to my '10 Sport. I posted the how to with some pics in the Electronics section. I got a module that lights up the high beams at 60% reduced; and it has worked great for me. That gives to an option to add HIDs to low beams if you so desire.

Back