NJ Tint Laws?

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Hey guys I've been googling this for about an hour now, i can't get a definite answer. I was wondering if someone could give me their insight. I know that all of the windows drivers side and forward have to have absolutly not tint, but behind that can be as dark as I'd like. (3rd brake like cut out) But my real question is referring to the tail lights. Am I allowed to tint my tail lights in Jersey? I've read in the couple of places that as long as the light is visible from 500 feet away it's legal. Is that true? Also does anyone in the area have their tinted? Have the cops hassled you at all? My friend has a PT Cruiser and hasn't had any trouble, but his lights are small. The protege 5 has much larger lights, so it's more noticeable. Help anyone?

They arnt supposed to have any tint at all unless its stock that way (thats why SUV's tend to have tint) But usually 30% tint never hassled by the cops. anything darker they suspect things.

I have 20% tints all around (4 door altima) that i drive every single day and i havent been pulled over for tint EVER.

And i had the car almost 3 years now with tints.

I know that doesnt make it legal but lots of people have tints on their car, even darker than supposed to but they get away with it.

Idk about the tail lights though.

If you're gonna tint your tail lights, dont go heavy, just do a light, almost like a smoke.

Your from howell. I live in jackson. I know for a FACT that howell, jackson, freehold, manalapan, marlboro, wall, brick, and toms river will stop you for tint and brake light tint just for the hell of it and ticket you. The lights MUST be clear and not dimmed at all. Falls under 39:3-47 or 39:3-54. Save yourself the hassle and the minimum of 47 bucks each time and dont do it. NJ tint laws also state there is to be ZERO tint on front windows or windshield. Depending on the town or where you travel, you will be stopped and ticketed.

Your from howell. I live in jackson. I know for a FACT that howell, jackson, freehold, manalapan, marlboro, wall, brick, and toms river will stop you for tint and brake light tint just for the hell of it and ticket you. The lights MUST be clear and not dimmed at all. Falls under 39:3-47 or 39:3-54. Save yourself the hassle and the minimum of 47 bucks each time and dont do it. NJ tint laws also state there is to be ZERO tint on front windows or windshield. Depending on the town or where you travel, you will be stopped and ticketed.

Yeah I figured, cops from around here are dicks. I got 3 tickets for making a right on nine as it turned red. 6 points it was bull. But I traded taillights with another forum member, they're fairly dark. Had them on for a couple of days, no trouble yet.

aftertint.jpg

i heard tints are fine but you can't tint the front driver and front passenger windows at all

I'm pretty sure the lights have to be visible from 500 ft away. All the windows except for the front 3 can be as dark as you want though

According to NJ law:

The rear windows can be tinted as dark as you want, even completely blacked out. The front windows and windshield cannot have any tint whatsoever. Tinting front windows is legal with a letter of medical necessity from an opthamologist.

Tail lights also can not have any tint.

Back