NJ GSP - moron hits tollbooth at high speed - explosion video

i was going to say those cops were there pretty quick, ive never seen any type of response like that, specially not here in atlanta

well most of the time theres some troopers that sit before and after the toll. maybe he just saw it while getting in his car or while actually in his car.

Yeah, in NJ on the GSP the trooper stations are usually right by the tolls. Anyway that looked pretty horrible! I'm going to go hunt down the real news story.

OK, did some research. It happened May 10th at the Egg Harbor toll plaza. Right near Dana! Or for those who have no clue where Dana lives, a few miles north of Atlantic City.

The 52-year old man who died did have a seizure disorder, but the cause of the crash is unknown at this point.

Man no wonder noone gave a s*** that the toll booth was on fire. They were in New Jersey.

thats why if they want you to pay tolls they should put the damn things at the entrance to the freeway/expressway, whatever you wanna call it. Not very smart to put them in the middle of fast moving roads. I hate driving from GA to say orlando or somewhere in fl due to the amount of tolls on fl roads

why...all you have to do is slow down.
i mean not to be rude in any way, because i most definately dont think the parkway needs to be payed off anymore so theres no reason to have them tolls. but really if everyone here in new jersey would just slow down and take their time this stuff wouldnt happen.

Usually you can see a toll way miles down the road unless there is really thick fog. So I don't see the problem.

Though I hate having to pay to use something that I have already paid for in the first place.

It has nothing to do with paying or speeding. If the guy had a seizure how is he going to slow down? If the toll booth wouldnt have been there sure he still could have died, taken out several other cars, or who knows? maybe even recovered from the seizure and pulled safely off to the side. I was saying if taxes paid for the roads to begin with, why put concrete pillars in the middle of the road that can cause numerous accidents like this a year. Yeah you may also say the guy was prone to seizures and had no business driving, but hey everyone has to do what they have to do to make a living. And in no way am i replying saying not to slow down. I preach everyday on the road in atlanta for people to slow down and stop running redlights and s***. Thats never gonna happen though!

The concrete pillars are there to protect the people working in the tolls, and also to protect the toll plaza.

I didn't read the story until after I had posted the link, sad situation - but still - cool accident to watch!

MikeBlueP5 said:
thats why if they want you to pay tolls they should put the damn things at the entrance to the freeway/expressway, whatever you wanna call it. Not very smart to put them in the middle of fast moving roads. I hate driving from GA to say orlando or somewhere in fl due to the amount of tolls on fl roads

The Garden State Parkway has upwards of 100 interchanges along it's relatively short 170 mile or so length. It's just not feasible at all to have the tolls placed at the entrances and exits (although some high-use exits and many up in the northern end do have entrance/exit tolls). The configuration of the interchanges as well as the sheer number of them would make it impossible to change the system that is currently in place.

Improvements have been made though. All of the toll plazas used to be across both the northbound and southbound lanes, 35 cent toll. On most of the toll plazas, they took out one side of toll booths, alternating sides. For instance, the toll plaza near milemarker 125 has the toll on the southbound side only, and the one near milemarker 100 has the toll on the northbound side only. The toll doubled to 70 cents, but now you only need to pay one way, and half of the 'damn things in the middle of the roadway' are gone. The tollbooth in the video is another one of these types. It used to stretch across both sides of the highway. There is also always talks of eliminating the tolls completely (the vast majority of the money collected by the tolls go to paying the toll collectors and for maintenance and upkeep of the toll plazas themselves), but I doubt that will ever happen because the toll workers are all union.

BTW, the other major limited-access toll freeway in NJ, the New Jersey Turnpike, only has tollbooths at the interchanges as you enter or exit the highway. But it's a totally different highway, with only 25 or so exits along its 150 mile length.

Talbot said:
Man no wonder noone gave a s*** that the toll booth was on fire. They were in New Jersey.

Hate to break it to you, but anywhere something like that happened, the public would respond in the same exact way. The car immediately burst into flames and was completely engulfed in less than 5 seconds. Nobody would approach the vehicle as it is quite clear that the driver died instantly.

jersey_emt said:
Hate to break it to you, but anywhere something like that happened, the public would respond in the same exact way. The car immediately burst into flames and was completely engulfed in less than 5 seconds. Nobody would approach the vehicle as it is quite clear that the driver died instantly.

I was just joking about the New Jersey thing. And I am not saying go up to the car.

But you would continue to drive through the booth even though there is a possibility of another explosion? That sounds pretty stupid and quite impatient to me. Hell I would stop just because I saw a car hit a concrete pillar and ******* burst into flames in front of me. That's crazy.

Talbot said:
I was just joking about the New Jersey thing. And I am not saying go up to the car.

But you would continue to drive through the booth even though there is a possibility of another explosion? That sounds pretty stupid and quite impatient to me. Hell I would stop just because I saw a car hit a concrete pillar and ******* burst into flames in front of me. That's crazy.

No prob. Sarcasm & joking on the Internet is tough to catch.

The fuel tank pretty much exploded on impact, there wasn't going to be another explosion. But here in Jersey, people have places to go! Screw everyone else, we need to get where we're going as fast as possible!!! lol

Back