Nitrous Question For P5

xanios

I'm new here, and i did search, but couldn't find an exact answer to my next question. I have a 2002 Protege5, and i'm looking to use nitrous on it, probably going with a NX wet kit w/ the 35Hp jet for starters. i was just wondering how much abuse the automatic tranny can take? at what HP does it start giving out?

Get a Tranny cooler and a Tranny Temp from Autometer.

I would recomend getting some tranny work from Lentech on the Auto if you plan on doing much more HP....

You won't really feel a 35 shot, and it'll probably still kill the glass auto tranny. Your money would be better spent buying a faster car. Not trying to be a troll, just speaking from experience.

what are you talkign abotu you are definatly going to more than feel a 35hp bump are you crazy!!!

definatly do it but i would recomend switching out your fluids wiht some royal purple. Just don't be a fool with it and go threw a bottle a week and you will be more than ok.

so maybe someone could answer my question now... how much abuse will the automatic tranny take? numbers would be nice, such as, at *** lb/ft torque the tranny starts to slip. i don't want opinions on nitrous, i want statistics on the tranny.

Good luck, Most people who want to go fast(er) bought a M/T in the first place.

I gave you my best answer, help the tranny by not letting it get too hot. That is what kills them mostly. The question you ask is like determing the weather with a Groundhog. You ask how much it can take. I tell you that there is no way to say for sure that it will hold up to abuse. For all I know, it's going to fail in 30 Seconds. I will call my Palm Reader and she will make a prediction based on the alignment of the stars.

You are going about this the wrong way, build the tranny up and then add the HP. If you dont, send us the link to the thread you start of your tranny rebuild...

Last edited:
xanios said:
so maybe someone could answer my question now... how much abuse will the automatic tranny take? numbers would be nice, such as, at *** lb/ft torque the tranny starts to slip. i don't want opinions on nitrous, i want statistics on the tranny.

Ever though of checking the nitrous section of the forum???

from what i understand auto's dont like the instant torque of turbo's much less the SUPER fast torque of nitrous. I see automatic tranny's start slipping at 200whp and about as much torque...i'm sure several have hurt themselves with less.

I had to have my torque converter rebuilt in order to run my Nitrous. I also have a tranny cooler and have swaped my fluids for red line race fluid. I run the 75hp shot now and have had no slipage with my auto. The guy that rebuilt my torque converter told me that the stock converter can only handle about 40hp over stock. I am already running 50+hp over stock with other mods so before I ran my ZEX kit I did the rebuild. Now she is good for up to 300WHP.

i dunno what they did to your torque converter... but other s*** in your car is gonna go before you hit 300whp, i guarantee you that. (tranny and engine wise)
btw.. what mods did you have to get 40hp over stock on NA? I'm not ragging, i'm just curious.

I know dickall about NO2 (the basics, it ends there), but I know the tranny pretty well. If you're using NO2, you're gonna brutalize the tranny pretty bad. I would suggest new valve body and torque converter, at least. NO2 gives a bigger kick to the nuts than a turbo (from my understanding), so you're going to be putting a huge amount of stress on the tranny. The clutch packs/pressure plates may even start slipping, I couldn't say, I haven't looked at NO2 stress in relation to the tranny - nor will I.

As for what the stock tranny can take... From lots of conversations with other ATx modders and Lentech, it seems like the safe estimate is 175ft-lbs on stock components (incl. tranny cooler and redline ATF)... once you go over 175, you're treading on thin ice. I'm just going to upgrade the valve body in 2 weeks... see how it feels on the stock engine for 1 month, then boost @ 7psi. I'm gonna drive the s*** outta the car until it starts to slip. then in goes the new aluminum torque converter, and finally the clutch packs/pressure plates... the setup i'm going for will take 250whp, no probs... and that's playing it safe.

If you got the money, buy a whole transaxle from them and be safe.. if you don't have the cash - i hope you have a spare car cuz you're going into uncharted waters where the badness is worse than what you can imagine. (homework)

not only is the nitrous bad for autos in general but you're also going to run into the problem of the weak ass rod pins in the FS-DE. this car is just not nitrous happy too many weak spots.

if you're still ready to forge ahead with it then make sure you take the advice of the people so far. the torque converter replacement is important simply because you'll tear parts of the "fins" off within the torque converter itself and they will proceed to clog your tranny necessitating a filter replacement which I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this as I haven't delved very far into our auto trannys) requires the whole thing to be taken apart.

it'll be a trip for you down mechanical lane if you press on, but either way best of luck with it :D

Lil Freek said:
i dunno what they did to your torque converter... but other s*** in your car is gonna go before you hit 300whp, i guarantee you that. (tranny and engine wise)
btw.. what mods did you have to get 40hp over stock on NA? I'm not ragging, i'm just curious.

I know dickall about NO2 (the basics, it ends there), but I know the tranny pretty well. If you're using NO2, you're gonna brutalize the tranny pretty bad. I would suggest new valve body and torque converter, at least. NO2 gives a bigger kick to the nuts than a turbo (from my understanding), so you're going to be putting a huge amount of stress on the tranny. The clutch packs/pressure plates may even start slipping, I couldn't say, I haven't looked at NO2 stress in relation to the tranny - nor will I.

As for what the stock tranny can take... From lots of conversations with other ATx modders and Lentech, it seems like the safe estimate is 175ft-lbs on stock components (incl. tranny cooler and redline ATF)... once you go over 175, you're treading on thin ice. I'm just going to upgrade the valve body in 2 weeks... see how it feels on the stock engine for 1 month, then boost @ 7psi. I'm gonna drive the s*** outta the car until it starts to slip. then in goes the new aluminum torque converter, and finally the clutch packs/pressure plates... the setup i'm going for will take 250whp, no probs... and that's playing it safe.

If you got the money, buy a whole transaxle from them and be safe.. if you don't have the cash - i hope you have a spare car cuz you're going into uncharted waters where the badness is worse than what you can imagine. (homework)

I am sorry I meant that my torque converter was good for up to 300WHP, not much else. I don't think that the P5 engine can really handle much north of 200WHP without major work.
As far as my HP increase before NO2, I have not dynoed my car but the guys at the shop I deal with feel that:
Intake
Full free flow exaust
throttle body
underdrive pully
intake manifold
custom cam work
full ignition system
should add up to at least 40HP over stock.

I will say this about NO2 though, it does tend to cause your trips to the mechanic to cost more. Also as far as warranty goes, byby, and so does your insurance in many cases. I would not do it on a daily driver.

Back