Nitrogen Inflation?

RonK

2021 CX-9 GT
Is it ok to use Nitrogen to inflate the tires, or don't they do this anymore? Is anyone doing this to prevent tire pressure variance? Do only the dealerships do this as an option? And if so, how much do they usually charge?

My opinion, it's a 'money grab' more than anything.
Sure it may have more consistent pressures and may not lose as much air over time, but I don't think the cost outweighs the benefit.
Also, what if one tire is low and you need to add air? Either you fill it up with normal air, or you have to go to place that has nitrogen...and they'll likely charge you for it.

Check/adjust tire pressures once a month or so and you'll be fine.
That's my $0.02

I'm on the waste of money boat too.

I mean, there are stated advantages, most commonly "nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than compressed air, so it helps maintain tire pressure for longer". Lets not forget, "air" is 78% nitrogen. The real question comes down to does 15% more nitrogen (you can never get 100% unless you're inside a vacuum) actually do anything different?

I only average about 15k-20k km in a given year. I used to average 30k-40k km/year back in the days and the only times I've inflated my tires is 1) AutoCross/Solo II events and 2) when I take off and put on all season's/winters. Outside of this, I can't recall ever having to inflate my tires up to recommended PSI short of a leak due to puncture.

Last edited:
Nitrogen is still ok to use in your tires, but it's widely regarded as a waste of time and money. IMO, spend the money you might have spent on nitrogen on a portable air compressor to keep in your trunk instead. Then you can air up whenever you need to, as often as you need to, and you'll have that air compressor for emergencies or to help friends and family.

I'm also on the don't-waste-your-money side.
Even if you inflate with nitrogen, there is still residual regular air in the tire (there's really no such thing as a "flat" tire. It's more of an underinflated tire.). You might get the nitrogen level up from 78% to 90%. No benefit there at all.
Most dealers now offer this as an extra mandatory add-on when you purchase a new car. The going rate is typically in the $200 range. Total scam. If they did put in nitrogen (which you can't verify), then their cost is about a buck. I would demand they remove the $200 from the price, and if they don't, tell them to take out the nitrogen and put regular air in it. This is right up there with VIN etching and paint treatment.

Nitrogen is still ok to use in your tires, but it's widely regarded as a waste of time and money. IMO, spend the money you might have spent on nitrogen on a portable air compressor to keep in your trunk instead. Then you can air up whenever you need to, as often as you need to, and you'll have that air compressor for emergencies or to help friends and family.
Ok so the consensus is it's ok to use it. Whether something's a waste of money is a subjective thing and not the same for everyone. People who use third-party exterior trim can be seen as wasting their money. But they do it anyway. My question was whether it was okay to do so. And I think I got my answer. Thank you all.

Yep, I already have two compressors. They pump air only. But thanks. Now if you could only find a tank full of N2O, I'd have both Nitrogen, air, and even some boost to go with it :giggle:

Last edited:
Is it ok to use Nitrogen to inflate the tires, or don't they do this anymore? Is anyone doing this to prevent tire pressure variance? Do only the dealerships do this as an option? And if so, how much do they usually charge?
I’ve seen several comparison tests that putting in nitrogen into your tires in the real world won’t make too much difference keeping the air pressure steady while driving and preventing the tire pressure change due to the long use and weather change.

I believe all Costco tire services use nitrogen to fill your tires for free.

Yep, I already have two compressors. They pump air only. But thanks. Now if you could only find a tank full of N2O, I'd have both Nitrogen, air, and even some boost to go with it :giggle:
Hehe N2O also = laughing gas. For reference to others, I believe it's pure nitrogen (well almost pure [99.9%] N2) that is used in tires.

Last edited:
The only real advantage of using nitrogen is that it is very dry. Moisture in the air in the tire can rust steel wheels. Compressed air can be run through dryers to get equally dry, but few shops spend any money for these air dryers.

The shop buys or leases a nitrogen inflation generator:
1694816592397.png

Here's how the business proposition is stated:
1694816630724.png

Of course, the TPMS alarm reduction is BS.

Back