nice little speaker upgrade

Treystoys

Hey all...

This is for everyone like me, and were maybe quiestioning the factory stereo sound quality. Myself, I'm getting older, marrige is within 3 months, and hopefully children not too long down the road, anyhow, I just want to keep the car as stock as I can tolerate ;o) just trying to avoid dumping a large sum of money into the car for the stereo or performance parts. Anyway, my PR5 is a 2003, it came with the factory tweeters and single CD player. I decided to just change out the door speakers front and rear, and see what happened. For the rear I went with Pioneer 6 3/4 3 ways, and the front I used Pioneer 6x8 4 ways...I must say, it really helps livin up the stock stereo. Its not louder, but it just lets you use the tuners bass, mid and high adjustments to their potential (unlike the stock speakers)...basically making the stereo louder through a broader frequiency range. It cost me $220 for the 4 speakers, it was very much worth it. As far as a sub goes, the bass response now will sufice for a while, but I think a single 8 or 10 in a sealed box with a small amp or even a 8-10 inch powered Bazooka would compliment the upgraded speakers powered by the stock stereo.

Sorry for the long post on this simple subject, but its exactly what I had been searching for on the site, so hopefully somebody else'll benifit from my little project :eek:)

Later people

thanks Trey! Thats what makes this site great, there will be things for people to upgrade their car with on here from all different price ranges, because like you, we all can't (or don't want to) install dvd players, and headrest screens, and run the really great systems that some people have on this site. Thank you so much for your post, I will definitely look into this for my setup. And your post is short compared to the multiple page write ups that people do on here. No biggie anyhow, people need to read more. peace out

for those pio's that is a great price and that is what i am going to do. for the sub go with a 10'' audiobahn 300 w with a crunch amp with watts of 400, they are farely cheap if u know people like i do. i am also going to change the head unit to a pio 8500 i think but not sure but also want a in dash tv-dvd unit. lots to chooose from but DO NOT GO WITH A BAZOOOKA!!!! also with the kids u might want to get a window tint if not already done

Nice. You could try getting the 2003.5 spare tire sub for an inconspicuous install. from hearing Thrax's it sounds good enough for what it is, since its so tiny. but its definatly a lot better than no sub.

but for me, i actually like no music at all sometimes, and to just listen to the car, i find it more relaxing than music. So no stereo stuff for a while. ;)

No problem Initial...it was just nice to see just the speakers make a difference. Lapis...the windows were tinted when it was purchased. I hear ya bout the Bazooka, I was the same way, way back when, but now it would be more of a practicality thing. A 10" with a small sealed box will likely be the way I go when I do add a sub. Hey Alan, I had thought about the factory sub, but figured if I was gonna have to wire up everything for the amp and all, I may as well go to a little step up. I am like you though, I often find myself driving with no stereo at all, just enjoying the revs ;o)

did you have to modify the rear panels at all to fit the 63/4 speakers?? If you did can you elaberate what you did? I need to know plz!!

hey ghost...

I wouldn't call it modify...I actually tried the standard Pioneer 3 way 6 1/2s first, which were too small for the openings, and none of the holes lined up with the factory mounting points. So I had to exchange them for the oversized 6 3/4s I have now. I thought for sure they'd bolt right up, but I had to use the Pioneer supplied spacer thingy on the back of the speaker, and then drill 4 new holes. That was it...just add another 10 minutes to a typical drop in install and your good.

The factory spare tire sub is something simple that I considered also, but according to a few people, the dealers dont stock them, and for some reason cannot order them... I was referred to pioneer since they manufacture it, but havent gotten around to it. Has anybody found a place to get it from???

I would be interested as well in knowing how to go about getting the factory sub too... if ONLY i waited, I might have had the 2003.5! LOL... no biggie.

Coqui258 said:
I would be interested as well in knowing how to go about getting the factory sub too... if ONLY i waited, I might have had the 2003.5! LOL... no biggie.

Well, when i got mine, it was between a yellow 2003, with moonroof and roof racks, or a silver 2003.5 with leather and sub, no moon and no racks.

I think that the racks actually enhance its appearance, making it look sporty to some degree, yet functional. Besides, I wanted a moon roof and didnt feel like driving all over the damn state to find that particular one that had everything...

So, I am satisfied with the 03.

BTW, how was it with your calipers. I have heard that they are a pain in the ass to paint... I want mine yellow. I had originally considered red, as well as red hoses, but then someone said it would be the mcdonalds car...

That changed it to yellow in less than a second!

It wasn't THAT hard at all! Just a LOT of patience is required. You just need to make sure that you take your time in getting ALL the dust off while you sand them, and do a good job in cleaning it up real good. I recommend that you spray the paint into a container and use a foam brush to do it, cause it requires less masking off of stuff, and ensures that you get the paint on right. Just be prepared to take at least a couple hours total for all 4 wheels!

Quick quiestion...

Any of you that have removed the factory CD player yet...please enlighten me...I can get the carbon/silver trim panel to come loose from the 6 clips, but it seems to be attached elsewhere, maybe the AC controls or something. Do I need to disassemble the console, or remove the glove box to gain access to the rear of it?

Thanks in advance

The factory radio has several gripping hooks on the side.
Buy 2 sets of ford radio removal tools and getting out the radio is a 2 minute jub plus you have no need to remove the plastic holding the heater controls.

TO my information the factory sub is no longer avialable in the US and is in europe. Keep in mind it is simply a 5.25" driver is a crappy little plastic case. Even a very inexpensive sub and amp will be around the same price and far more effective.

Just bumping this...not sure why the post got moved from its position. I'm still looking for a how too on removing the factory radio. 1st MP3, thanks for the reply, but after buying the tools as you suggested, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, I don't think thats the route. Your cars head unit is an after market type. The PR5 is a large double DIN unit. If you can elaborate, I'm all ears ;o)

So anyone else, I know some of you have removed the stereo already. Thanks again.

Treystoys said:
Just bumping this...not sure why the post got moved from its position. I'm still looking for a how too on removing the factory radio. 1st MP3, thanks for the reply, but after buying the tools as you suggested, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, I don't think thats the route. Your cars head unit is an after market type. The PR5 is a large double DIN unit. If you can elaborate, I'm all ears ;o)

So anyone else, I know some of you have removed the stereo already. Thanks again.

Damn Bro give me more credit then that!
Even my last girlfriends thinks more highly of em then that!

I know all to well how to remove about 300 different types of radios not just my own aftermarket one. Beside the fact that I have had 4 in my car!

Also if you did a search in the AUDIO FORUM, not P5 :p
You will find this same thing discussed atleast 20 times.
All 2002 and up Mazda proteges have the double din radio. On the side of the radio there are plastic strips that coever the removal tool holes. Remove these plastic clips and then you will see 3 hole on each side. A circular one in the corners and oval ones in the middle. You need 2 ford style removal tools for each side. One tool goes in the top and the middle and the other goes in the bottom and the middle on each side.

Done correctly you have a 5 minute job of removing ht eradio and the factory dash bezel never needs to be removed.

Now 1st mp3, thats the type of specific answer I was searching for. Sorry for getting you ruffled up in the other post, but you must realize that I had no idea that so many other cars use that style radio...in fact, my mothers Protege, same body style as ours, not sure the year, 99 or 00...has a totally different CD player in it. I'm not the audiophyle I was 10, even 5 years back, now I just want my system to sound decent...not asking for much.

Thanks for the reply

Later

Treystoys said:
Now 1st mp3, thats the type of specific answer I was searching for. Sorry for getting you ruffled up in the other post, but you must realize that I had no idea that so many other cars use that style radio...in fact, my mothers Protege, same body style as ours, not sure the year, 99 or 00...has a totally different CD player in it. I'm not the audiophyle I was 10, even 5 years back, now I just want my system to sound decent...not asking for much.

Thanks for the reply

Later

Just for your own working knowledge, the radios swapped over in 2002 and for the MP3 in 2001. All cars were equipt with even a different wire harness from the years previous and ofcoarse new radios to go with it.

Decent sound at lower volumes is most easily achieved with new speakers and not a new radio. Although the new radio certainly isn't going to hurt and the extra power will allow a clearer singnal for a few more db.

Cool deal...the better sound has been taken care of, I replaced the 4 door speakers last week. Thats what this thread was made for "nice little speaker upgrade". I am looking to get the head unit out to attach an RCA convertor to run cables to my amp for the sub. Speaking of which...do you know off hand which color wires I'm looking for to tap into the two rear channels of the factory CD player? Also will I be able to parellel the RCA convertor with the rear channel without affecting the rear speakers operation? I have done this in the past, but probably didn't care if it screwed things up then. Just wondering if there is any impidence to the convertor...Wouldn't want to bridge the factory unit on accident! Thanks again.

Thanks a bunch guy...you've been a great help! This will save me a lot of time.

Oh about the wet noodle...as long as you let my fiance do the beating, I may just be alright with it ;o)

Later

Back