Newbie to turbos, couple of problems

Boilermaker19

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have never had a turbo before, much less one that has been modified as mine has, so I have a couple of questions; First, my boost goes all the way up to around 15, which scares me a little. I have the FMIC, 3" exhaust, cat delete, split second (I am running the FMIC map from this forum). I think I should limit it to about 10 lb of boost, but I have no idea how to do that. Second, in second gear, if I am really punching it and the boost swings up to around 15, the car will cut out repeatedly, but then get back to running. This only seems to happen when I am really punching it in second. I only recently bought the car, and, frankly, I have found a couple of switches the purpose of which I am unsure of, and a cable that is just coiled up and unused. I have not found a turbo timer or wideband, and I apparently need to run a new oil pressure gauge, but any ideas on the sputtering and controlling my boost? If I keep the boost around 10 with the accelerator, she pulls great.

I wouldn't keep running 15 psi. Specially if it's a stock engine block. Without further info we really can't help you. Post pictures of the engine bay and maybe your waste gate is no good unless you have a boost controller I don't see how you can boost more than 8-9 psi.

It's cutting like that because the MSP stock ECU is set so the fuel cuts out at about 10 PSI of boost... If the car has no boost controller and its hitting 15 PSI then It your wastegate. Also thats def not a good idea with stock rods on this car, there about as thick as a pencil. I would keep it at about max of 9 until you get a fuel cut defender and do some work to the internals. Just utilize this forum you'll find everything you need to know. Also when it is cold the fuel cut is usually earlier than 10 PSI

Mine is unflashed and before I got a mbc and boosted around only 5-6 psi it would never fuel cut even at red line never once did it but when I had it at 10psi it fuel cut almost right as soon as boost hit 10

Mine is unflashed and before I got a mbc and boosted around only 5-6 psi it would never fuel cut even at red line never once did it but when I had it at 10psi it fuel cut almost right as soon as boost hit 10

It's RPM-activated, not boost. Just because you overloaded the injectors with dense air and do not have an appropriate tune resulting in a hesitation or 'cut out' you're experiencing doesn't mean the ECM is preprogrammed to ''fuel-cut" at 10psi.

That's because the MAF is maxing out due to moving far more air. MBCs are generally not a great idea with a stock block

Do you even know how the MAF works? (Not you hornsfan)

Completely forgot to get back to this thread. The vacuum line to my SSAFC had come loose, causing all of the problems. I do not have stock internals, and I am currently running 9 lbs. Further mods to come.

Latest posts

Back