Newbie thinking about buying an MS6 or STI

Hello everyone i'm new to this forum. I'm have a few questions regarding the MS6. I really want a 2003-2007 Impreza sti, but a few months back I saw a really nice white modded ms6.

I have to admit the ms6 is growing on me, but I want an all out rally slag and the problem is that the ms6 doesnt have any racing heritage.

Is there anyone on here that have driven or owned both cars and that can compare them for me?

I can see the impreza has a cheaper interior, but I love the fact the impreza has rally heritage that car manufacters dream of. I'm aware of the 323 GTX mazda used back in Group A rallying but the ms6 is a different car.

Howcome it is not used in rallies? I saw a video on youtube of the ms6 and ms3 in a rally in Tazmania or New Zealand, not sure exactly but the ms6 looked really slow and lame.

What kind of mpg will a stock ms6 bring?

When the sensors detect lack of grip and switch engage from 100:0 to 50:50, is it noticeable? And howcome mazda did not made it rwd biased before the sensors detect slippage like the attesa-GTS on an r32 skyline gtr?

How much is a MS6 less to insure than an STI?

How much will a 06 ms6 cost with low miles?

How much would it cost and what would be needed to tune the 2.3 disi to 300 awhp?

What kind of 0-60 can it perform stock and at 300awhp?

Can the active torque split be deactivated so it runs 50:50 at all times, similar to the haldex mod on r32 golfs?

You're looking at 2 cars with COMPLETELY different intentions behind them. You really have to decide where your priorities are. Are you looking for a flat-out, no compromises rally machine that also does street duty (roughly, I might add) or do you want to be more comfortable, serene and below the radar while enjoying your AWD and turbo?

IMO, the MS6 is too heavy, large, and doesn't have a proper AWD system for hardcore rally use. I don't mean to say that you CAN'T do it....it's just not ideally suited for it. The torque split is managed wholly by the ECU, and while I'm sure it can be defeated electronically, I haven't heard of a system that anyone's installed to accomplish it. It can achieve 300WHP, but you have to be willing to get it professionally tuned to keep it from throwing rods through the block. There are successful tunes on this, and other Mazda forums. And there have been some other tragically unsuccessful ones. Those poor SOBs are paying for new engines, when they could've spent that money on proper tunes. If you're planning on HP mods, also prepare to invest in aftermarket rear differential mounts. The stock ones tend to come unbolted or just break.

I regularly got 19-25 mpg with my MS6, depending on where I was traveling. You can do better if you're not a leadfoot. You can also do worse.

I haven't called Allstate for a quote, but I'm reasonably sure an STI is more expensive to insure than a MS6.

Prices for a MS6 vary wildly depending on mileage, CARFAX history, and region. Don't be afraid to haggle, as the MS6 has never been terribly in-demand.

Hello everyone i'm new to this forum. I'm have a few questions regarding the MS6. I really want a 2003-2007 Impreza sti, but a few months back I saw a really nice white modded ms6.

I have to admit the ms6 is growing on me, but I want an all out rally slag and the problem is that the ms6 doesnt have any racing heritage.

Is there anyone on here that have driven or owned both cars and that can compare them for me?

I can see the impreza has a cheaper interior, but I love the fact the impreza has rally heritage that car manufacters dream of. I'm aware of the 323 GTX mazda used back in Group A rallying but the ms6 is a different car.

Howcome it is not used in rallies? I saw a video on youtube of the ms6 and ms3 in a rally in Tazmania or New Zealand, not sure exactly but the ms6 looked really slow and lame.

What kind of mpg will a stock ms6 bring?

When the sensors detect lack of grip and switch engage from 100:0 to 50:50, is it noticeable? And howcome mazda did not made it rwd biased before the sensors detect slippage like the attesa-GTS on an r32 skyline gtr?

How much is a MS6 less to insure than an STI?

How much will a 06 ms6 cost with low miles?

How much would it cost and what would be needed to tune the 2.3 disi to 300 awhp?

What kind of 0-60 can it perform stock and at 300awhp?

Can the active torque split be deactivated so it runs 50:50 at all times, similar to the haldex mod on r32 golfs?

Real world MPG can vary. I can say I see 18mpg on the average...But then again I dont granny the car at all...

Altezza/skyline start off as RWD cars, MS6 starts as a FWD car...

Change from fwd to awd isnt very noticeable other than you go from wheel spin to grip if you accel aggressively.

Insurance will depend on too many factors to try to predict. Call you ins co and ask...

Plan on $14k to $18k depending on options/miles/area

300whp is about 375 enginehp will take a bit to get there....

Check the test reviews for official 1/4 mile/0-60 times

So far no one has figured out a way to get the torque split to stay 50/50...

Hope this helps...Good luck

After discerning what you're wanting out of the car, go with the STi. The MS6 isn't for you and doesn't have the drivetrain you're looking for.

STI is actually cheaper to insure then the MS6 (for me atleast).. my insurance would have went DOWN $200 a year with the STI.. but it went UP $300 a year with the MS6.. i woulda gone with the STI but i got the 6 for $10k cheaper then they wanted for the STI.. but no regrets.

I've driven the 2002 WRX and my MS6. If you want a race car, go with the WRX, but if you want something that is a nice daily driver that you can also take out for canyon runs or to the track for fun, the MS6 is the better deal. Much nicer car all around, looks nicer, and I am a lot happier in the MS6 than I would have been with a WRX (I test drove a 2009 and it didn't seem that different than the 2002).

Think of the Ms6 against the legacy gt thats comparable but the sti is raw and deffently faster out of the box...
you can do alot more to a sti and not have to worry as much...
actually stock for stock there not to far off from eachother tho i mean i dynod 220hp-265tq off a mustang dyno which sti's are right around there and i mean people have put down 13.0-13.5 stock times ms6 13.5-13.9 stock times i did 14.2(but i suck at driving...not to mention ive never raced at a track before or launched the car ever)lol but if your looking for a comfortable ride/sleeper with some balls the ms6 is your car but if your looking for raw and rally sti

wow amillman2!! im shocked your insurance is HIGHER for the subby over the MS6.
i checked out prices through my insurance and farmers, and ALL subbies except the base legacy were more expensive to insure for me than my MS6.

well all in all all your Qs were all answered, mike. you seem more of the rally, beat on his car (in a good way :p) type of driver, which the MS6 is not suited for. Hell, mazda said straight up it was NOT created as a direct competitor with Mitsu or Suby rally cars... which were made first and foremost AS rally cars... the MS6 was made first and foremost as a comfortable sedan WITH performance added.

imho, i suggest the STI for you mike.

evo > sti > ms6 performance wise
ms6 > evo > sti comfort wise
ms6 + evo > sti for looks

just my opinon. i think the evo has more potential then the sti. especially when you see what guys with 4g63's have done... like Shep racing.

Yeah, definitely don't get an MS6 if you're looking for a rally car or even one with a rally heritage. It's large, heavy, and the AWD is completely ECU-controlled.

A lot depends, IMHO, on your age. I'm 44 and this car is the perfect car for me, except for the cost of modding it, which is high. My buddy at work, who's 24, has a tuned, modded 05 STi, and while the thing is fast as all get out, it's not right for me. Uncomfortable, loud, and small (I'm 6'1" tall). It's PERFECT for him, though.

So IMHO, you SOUND like the MS6 isn't right for you. Go STi or Evo...I'd prefer the STi, since I like my car to actually spend more time on the road than in the shop.

Also have to think about the risk you take when you buy a used sti / evo. You pay more $$ for a potentially abused nightmare.

Then again if you plan on rallying with the car you are ready to spend the time fixing the problems.

My car was a unknown nightmare. Clutch gone after 47XXX km's. But then again a female had it (boom06) jk, kinda.

Back